Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 4 Sil wont turn on completely and WHY?, it boots so the front screen says "HERO 4" thats its

[ Edited ]

My hero 4 silver was in perfect working order with no issues. But now every time I try to boot it up I get the same issue;
the front screen says "Hero 4" and doesn't change, 

the buttons and touchscreen (which is not on....in whatever combination, they do nothing).

I have reset the sd card, done many hard resets of the camera, I can't think of anything else to do, please help!!

IMG_9459.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 4 Sil wont turn on completely and WHY?, it boots so the front screen says "HERO 4"

I'm not sure if it's the same with Hero4, but with the Hero3 this would work:
Remove battery and SD card
Press the Mode/power for about 20 seconds
Hold down the top shutter button
Replace only the battery while keeping the shutter pressed
Continue to press the shutter while powering on the camera
Once the camera completes loading, release the shutter and then power off.

Try a few times if the camera doesn't reset the first time.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 4 Sil wont turn on completely and WHY?, it boots so the front screen says "HERO 4" thats...

Hello @jaicdc1

Has your camera experienced any impact or physical damage that may have caused it to not work suddenly? As troubleshooting steps did not help resolve the issue, it would be best to contact our Support team for further assistance. You can call or chat with them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 4 Sil wont turn on completely and WHY?, it boots so the front screen says "HERO 4&quot

Hello, I understand that it looks like there is som damage to the camera above the lens to the right, but that is what happened after taking it out of full coverage (clear) plastic cases, and putting it into true "Skeleton" cases to access the ports for charging to use stereo microphones for better audio (or filters that didnt fit the bulky clear housings).

Otherwise the camera is great. It has worked flawlessly nonstop. The second h4sil in the background was not as lucky. That camera was on a Solo 3dr Drone that took a spill into some wet sand on the beach, which ruined the battery of the drone and the entire Go Pro (thus far).

My only idea about why this is not working, is that when I brought the busted drone and my unresponsive other H4S camera home (which does nothing at all, except the front blue light turns on when charging). I brought the H4 battery for that camera home and may have put it into my perfectly fine H4S that this post is about... I do not know what that couldve done if the battery was fried, but that is the only catalyst/action/thing that happened that then led me to realize my WORKING camera was now NOT working....A huge disappointment given I paid about $325 for each, which was a cheap price at the time 2 years ago.....

What can I do to get this "Hero 4" on the front display only Camera (which worked perfectly  before what I'm guessing was the battery incident...so that i dont have two gorgeous H4Silvers (which are better than blacks due to the screen etc...) whos only use is for ??Parts?? or super neat and terribly sad paper weights.... PLEASE HELP

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 4 Sil wont turn on completely and WHY?, it boots so the front screen says "HERO 4&

Try running a manual update with a newly formatted SD card. You'll need a computer and USB/SD adapter. Download the manual update, format the SD card in the computer, extract the UPDATE folder and paste it onto the SD card. Insert the SD card into the camera, power on and let the update run.
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 4 Sil wont turn on completely and WHY?, it boots so the front screen says "HERO 4&

I tried this before but I will try with a new card, so we shall see! Thanks for the concise info and instructions, I am going to give a shot and report back. I appreciate your help!

Highlighted
Tourist

God fn F! Nope.....same deal... Am i Missing some sort of hard reset button combo? What could have possibly happened to this camera?....

That makes one great H5Blk, a good H4Blk, a ...not even comparable 4 series Hero that stays in it's shell, and these two H4s's which were the best cams I owned until the Karma/H5Blk upgrade....

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 4 Sil wont turn on completely and WHY?, it boots so the front screen says "HERO 4"

I'm not sure if it's the same with Hero4, but with the Hero3 this would work:
Remove battery and SD card
Press the Mode/power for about 20 seconds
Hold down the top shutter button
Replace only the battery while keeping the shutter pressed
Continue to press the shutter while powering on the camera
Once the camera completes loading, release the shutter and then power off.

Try a few times if the camera doesn't reset the first time.