Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 4 Black playback volume

My Hero 4 Black has a very low audio playback. Is there any fix for this? I purchased this camera three years ago, but am only now just starting to use it. Perhaps the playback volume was a problem for this generation of GoPro's??

Nomad

Re: Hero 4 Black playback volume

There's going to be a number of things that affect the volume on your Hero 4 Black.  Such as how far you are away from the audio source you're recording, are you using a frame or do you have it in a sealed GoPro housing? 

Since the mics are so small on the GoPro plenty of people also use external microphones to help get better audio recordings.

If you think there's a more serious issue with your GoPro though, post some footage here and people will be able to tell you if there's a problem or if what you're recording is normal.

Tourist

Thanks for the prompt response. It occurred to me shortly after posting my problem that the sealed housing might be the issue. This brings me to another question. Would this be the reason that my housing back is removable and that an open housing back is included in the original kit?

Thanks again,

Nomad

Yes and no, the open housing may help a small bit with audio but it's going to help more with cooling/airflow than anything.  You really want to leave the mic's in the camera as uncovered as possible.  Imagine listening to a good quality speaker with music coming out of it, now imagine placing your hand directly over your ear.  It's not a watertight seal, but it is going to affect the sound that you hear dramatically.

I would recommend you either pic up a "frame" for your gopro, or a skeletal case that will allow you to plug in an external microphone.  Of course it will all really depend on how good a sound you need to record.  Ambient noise (car noised, street noise etc) won't need to be too clear, but if you're recording a music performance, nature sounds etc. then you'll probably want a good external microphone.

Tourist

Thanks for the great feedback. This is good information. I'll be picking up a skeleton frame as soon as possible.