Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Hero 4 Black Noise issue when using WiFi

Hi MattB, Thanks for reaching out to me, I appreciate it.

We'll see if the problem can be fixed by another replacement. I hope the replacement camera will be without the wifi noise issue this time, since I really want to use the remote or the app with my GoPro, but I just can't because the noise is ruining my videos.

Anonymous

Same problem here with brand new GoPro Silver 4. 

Considering returning the camera. Is this going to be fixed?

Sounds indeed like a compressor is bringing the noise floor up.

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous The only person who fixes the problem right now is the Russion guy I linked at the end of the previous page. GoPro will only force you to go through all this senseless "testing" and recording sample videos also described on page 3, but chances are very high that they will send you replacements mulitple times with exactly the same issue, even if they claim to have the units tested manually.

Getting no further reply from my support employee and also no reaction from the staff here shows how bad they handle the truth. The problem definitely is caused by GoPro's WiFi itself and awful / not existing shielding of the microphone that is placed directly next to the WiFi-chip. But still they continue writing it could be caused by your router or whatever in your environment and that you should do further recordings outside, even after sending them dozens of examples from YouTube were people already proved that the issue is exactly the same in the nature. Also the helicopter-sound only appears when GoPros own WiFi is turned on, it's absent when just your router in your flat is active. (And by the way there is no issue like that at all on all Sony actioncams of course, they have way better sound quality (even if they cost less) and absolutely never any problems caused by the WiFi-signal)

The only things that matter for testing this issue are that GoPro's own WiFi is turned on and that you test it in a silent environment! Because this way the gain of the microphone goes to the maximum, therefore you also hear the noise caused by GoPro's own WiFi-signal the best. If you're outside and birds are twittering or there is a noise-level from a street, even if it's far away, this reduces the gain of the microphone and the recording-volume, and therefore the helicopter-issue is less noticeable! So what the support writes and forces every single user to do again and again is even counterproductive!

Anonymous

Hi Andyh,

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed, I can confirm I performed some tests yesterday.

Same room same environment recorded with WIFI on, helicopter effect.

No wifi, no noise.

It's clearly a problem, at this stage I might return the camera to Amazon UK who have excellent service.

Is there a batch of serial numbers that are known to be immune to the problem?

Anonymous

Returning it to Amazon definitely is the better and muuuuuuch faster way. As problem-description simply send them a link to this thread or to Amazon's answers & questions like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/-/Tx1K3866HEJZ8RP/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza?asin=B00O32GGTK or to all the already existing 1-star ratings: https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00O32GGTK/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_s...

Amazon in contrary to GoPro usually doesn't ask you to do the same stupid and senseless things again and again, even if you (and thousands others worldwide) went through this issue already several times. I don't know about any serial-range and probably GoPro doesn't know as well - actually THEY don't know anything at all it seems, even if it's proven hundreds or thousands of times and since at least one year already...

I will report this to widely spread German print-magazines in addition if GoPro doesn't come back to me and finally solves this issue, sending me replacements without requesting any further stupid sample-videos and without having to send in my unit first, being without a GoPro for weeks a third time. They should send me one or several replacements first now before I send the faulty unit(s) back! @mattb kindly note

(and I hope all those posts will stay here without censorship, otherwise this will end up in a total disaster for GoPro, I can promise)

Anonymous

@Anonymous

Thanks for your reply.

But I don't think so, because at earlier firmware versions I didn't aware the problem (using WiFi in silent environment). The problem is also so widely spreaded and meanwhile also affects the Silver editions - it can't be a hardware problem. Some comment's here report 3 times exchange of their Hero 4 Black not one solving the issue.

However: Thank you for your offering an exchange to me. Unfortunately the GoPro suggested exchange path is not acceptable, because I am for a to long time period without my Hero 4 Black.

A more customer friendly system is e.g. provided by Apple: they exchange damaged iPhones by new ones IN ADVANCE, by courier services on their costs including also returning the damaged iPhone. You get the new iPhone by express mail and the only thing I have to do is to return the damaged one within 7 days. But this is no problem, the courier will wait the single minute until you unpacked the new one and you may return the damaged one immediately.

With the GoPro exchange system I am without cam for 6 to 10 weeks at least. Sorry, that I have other ideas about a customer friendly exchange system than offered by GoPro.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous I'm pretty sure it is a hardware-issue, maybe in your case the helicopter-sound just was very low with previous firmware-versions, so you didn't hear it at normal volume or because you recorded much noise / lots of environment sounds anyway. I think they increased the sensibility (recorded volume) of the microphone with the recent firmware, so from that point on you also noticed it way more distinct. (In another thread I also suggested to add the option of setting the mic-sensitivity manually in a future firmware).

There are customers who had to replace their camera 3 or even more times, but finally they got one that was fine. Or others who directly bought dozens at once (because doing huge film-projects), many of the ordered devices had this problem, but others not.

Anonymous

@Anonymous I never used a firmware before v03.00.00, so I can't say if there would have been any difference on my units, but I could imagine that the gain-level of the mic was increased in v03 maybe, if you really coulnd't hear anything before. But I bet the sound already was there, just more quiet, so you maybe would have had to listen at higher volumes to hear it clearly.

The fact that they replace the GoPros for a year or more already and don't just revert the changes in firmware and even more the manual shielding done by this Russian guy http://www.goproforums.com/106-gopro-hd-hero-4/45058-hero4black-helicopter-sound-problem-solved.html prove that it must be a hardware-issue in first place, maybe just boosted by a higher audio recording-sensitivity in silent environments implemented in v03 firmware.

GoPro

Hi folks, 

I know that this has become a pretty tense topic here. I want to express my regrets for the troubles this problem has given you and acknowledge how frustrating it must be to see multiple cameras with this issue. I understand it can feel frustrating to send videos of the issue to Support, but in actuality having the Wi-Fi of the camera on in addition to having other electronic devices in the room can increase the Wi-Fi noise and this can lead to interference with the mic. I'm not saying that it is necessarily due to other electronics in the vicinity, just that that could be a cause. 

Our goal is to help you out as best as we possibly can through our Customer Support channels, and I want to stress that Support will indeed work with you to resolve this problem if you will be willing to contact them and work with them as well. 

Many thanks, 

Matt B.