Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Hero 4 Black Noise issue when using WiFi

Unfortunately my Hero 4 Black is older than a year.

But the "helicopter noise problem" has not been existing in firmware former 3.0.0.

So, let's wait for a fix und firmware update.

Here some example movies: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG-NZi9dMwGzl1skwTdHLCMG0xgtfBDnB

Enjoy!

GoPro

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for posting back. We would like to get some more information from you in order to take a further look at your case and see how we can help. A representative of the Support Team should be in contact with you shortly via email to see what can be done.

Many thanks,
Matt B.
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I really wish GoPro would reach out to it's customers and acknowledge this is a serious problem with the GoPro Hero 4 Silver and Black models. There are many, many users who have reported the "helicopter noise with wifi on" problem, and yet everytime GoPro acts as if they have never heard of the problem before.

I bought a new GoPro Hero 4 Silver recently that was manufactured mid 2015, which had the problem. I've been in touch with my retailer, who worked with me to get a replacement. I went through the hoops of returning the product and recieving a new one, only to find out the new Hero 4 Silver has exactly the same problem, even though it was manufactured months later.

If this issue was not so common then the odds of having two camera's with the same problem would be minimal. I therefore suspect that a great number of the Hero 4's out there have this issue.  I just wish GoPro would acklowledge that.

GoPro

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thanks for posting. First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear that you've run into this issue two times now. If you've still got the camera that is making a noise with the Wi-Fi turned on, I would be glad to see if I can get you connected with a Support Agent who can help you out. 

To clear up any doubts, we have seen cameras do this and as we moderate this community forum we can see there are posts regarding the sound you're describing. That being said, we do our best to help out our customers and we always encourage our users to reach out to us or post to the community if they're running into an issue so that we can resolve it for them. 

I would like to resolve the problem for you, and as such I'm going to contact one of my colleagues from Support. They'll reach out to you to run a few tests and then hopefully they'll be able to work out a good solution for you. 

All the best, 
Matt B. 
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Anonymous

I also have to comment here another time, cause I'm really frustrated how the support handles this issue!

I deal with this issue since almost 5 months now! First complained in December 2015, even though I already explained in my first mail that it's a known hardware problem, I did send examples from YouTube and customers reporting it in forums, I still had to go through the whole process and getting useless replys. First the support wrote it could be because of the router or something, then I should record testfiles with and without WiFi. Then had to send in my Hero4 Black. I'm from Germany, I have to send it to their establishment in the Netherlands - and wait... They wrote they will manually test a new GoPro for me in the USA, and send it from there. You can guess this whole process takes weeks...

Got my first replacement, but with scratches on the lens! (I precautionary already recorded a video of the unpacking-process to have a documentation of what I get). It takes some effort to record tiny scratches on a tiny glass-lens in a recognizable way, but I managed to do so and did send still photos as well as a video of the scratched lens to the support. But this wasn't enough, I should take some photos with the GoPro itself in addition. Although this was senseless for me, I did so, sent them photos and videos taken with the GoPro, but explained that you probably can't see anything in the recordings, cause the focal point is way beyond the lens. Nevertheless scratches might result in additional reflections (maybe when light is shining from the sides?) or at least you will get less money when selling the cam in the future... I nevertheless tested the audio (with WiFi) later on because I was interested if they really checked it - and it was fine! After more than a week and additional mails I was "allowed" to send my GoPro in again because of the scratches. Of course I demanded that they should check the sound and the lens this time...

Waiting some weeks again, I got my 2nd replacement. This time the lens is fine, I was happy and thought I could finally use my GoPro - BUT after testing audio with WiFi, I was surprised I got a device with the same helicopter-problem again! Again contacted the support - again got the answer that it could be because of a router or the environment. Wrote back NO, it ISN'T! And that we've gone through all this in the past already... Now I should record a new test-video outside again - even after explaining that it's useless, because it's always the same bull**bleep**, regardless if inside or outside in the nature, where there are no electronic devices at all, sending them more than a dozen example-videos from YouTube, explaining that it's reported in forums (including here) and in Amazon reviews as well - they STILL force me to record a new test-video outside, otherwise they wouldn't be able to help (they claimed it was tested)... I'm really pissed about this customer service! It's a known problem for more than a year now already I think, and it's always exactly the same sound, still nobody managed to solve it and the support doesn't care how much work their customers have because of their stupid ways of dealing with the complains... You spend hours, days, weeks, months for reporting faults, taking videos and photos, printing RMA documents, do the packaging, bring it to the mail-order establishment, wait for weeks - and don't have the product that you bought at home, can't use it...

Anonymous

As I always mentioned, this is not a hardware but a firmware problem. I can not understand, why it is for GoPro support so hard to understand, if I am writing "the problem is caused by the last firmware upgrade and was not existing before".

Why forcing customers to exchange cams by a difficult way (specially in Switzerland it a pain in the a$$ - no cam for at least 4 weeks until exchange is delivered) - well knowing @ GoPro it does not help - instead of delivering a firmware hot fix, resolving the problem. :(

Customers detailed describing the problem detailed are not idiots - why treating them in a way as the were?

Anonymous

@Anonymous I'm pretty sure it is a hardware-issue, maybe in your case the helicopter-sound just was very low with previous firmware-versions, so you didn't hear it at normal volume or because you recorded much noise / lots of environment sounds anyway. I think they increased the sensibility (recorded volume) of the microphone with the recent firmware, so from that point on you also noticed it way more distinct. (In another thread I also suggested to add the option of setting the mic-sensitivity manually in a future firmware).

There are customers who had to replace their camera 3 or even more times, but finally they got one that was fine. Or others who directly bought dozens at once (because doing huge film-projects), many of the ordered devices had this problem, but others not.

Anonymous

Quote from http://www.goproforums.com/106-gopro-hd-hero-4/36681-gopro-4-recall-helicopter-noise-2.html

"The problem with the GoPro 4 helicopter noise is caused by the new, more sensitive audio system, it's audio compressor is much more aggressive than the GoPro 3 series. When the ambient noise level is relatively quiet, the automatic audio level control turns the gain way up on the analog microphone preamp which in turn, picks up the RF emissions from the WiFi signal, it also makes the noise floor (hiss) unacceptably high. This is a shielding issue and is a hardware design flaw, it can't really be fixed in firmware unless there is some way to turn the audio gain down on the mic preamp in software or make the audio compressor less aggressive. The noise would still be there, it would just be far less noticeable. I had to go through four GoPro 4 cameras before I got one that was even close to acceptable. I much preferred the audio system on the GoPro 3+ Black."

And here's the proof that it's a shielding (hardware) issue:

http://www.goproforums.com/106-gopro-hd-hero-4/45058-hero4black-helicopter-sound-problem-solved.html