Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: Hero 4 Black Noise issue when using WiFi

Hi @abdullahh374,

That's great. I'm glad to hear one of our recommended mics is working for you. I saw in the video you posted how with one mic the sound was very loud and how it didn't happen with the other mic, so that makes sense. 

You also mentioned how your camera was doing this without any mic attached to it. Feel free to bring that to the support case as well, as they could have you submit your footage to see if there is a problem with the camera. 

I hope you will be able to use your camera without other difficulties in the future! 

Matt B. 
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Hiker

Yes the camera with Wifi Without any mic does make those noise but it's very minimal.

If you search on YT "GoPro Helicopter noise audio"
You will find lots of videos about this issue though not the same as mine l but whatever I said was my own experience

Thanks.
GoPro

@abdullahh374

Thanks for posting back and letting us know what your experience was. I'm glad you'll be able to use the camera as you intend to now. If you have any issue with the sound without the mic plugged in and want the Support Team to check and see if it is out of the ordinary, feel free to do so as well. 

Best, 

Matt B. 
Anonymous

Sorry, but the need to purchase an external mic is NOT a solution.

The problem was inexistent before the last firmware upgrade.

There is only one correct solution: GoPro delivers a quick fix for this issue as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Roland

abdullahh374 wrote:

Hi,

The solution to my problem was by using a mic recommended by GoPro.

https://gopro.com/support/articles/external-microphone-recommendations)

Luckily I had one of the recommended Mics and it didn't have the helicopter noise no more.

GoPro

Hi @Anonymous, 

I think you may have slightly misunderstood what @abdullahh374 was saying. He was previously using a non-recommended mic and then found using a recommended mic fixed the problem for him. If you are experiencing issues with the audio of your camera when using Wi-Fi, first try re-updating your firmware and testing in an environment without other electronics around while the camera is outside of its housing. If you continue to experience a problem with the audio, contact our Support Team and they will be glad to help you out further. 

I hope that helps! 

Best, 

Matt B. 
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

Hi MattB

Sorry the missunderstanding.

Yes, I am expecting the issue using cam's internal mic.

It also occurs outdoor, far away from any electronics.

It is sufficient to activate WiFi of cam.

Even if you keep iPhone in Airplane Mode and GoPro RC remains off: the noise is there. Loud.

Since 3.0.0 in Hero3, Hero3+, Hero4.

No noise if WiFi is off.

Turn a little louder on attached file and you hear it at once. Takatakatakatka... Like a Machine Gun.

Tried to upload a MP4 having the problem and got error message attached. Of course AFTER upload has been finished and not at start :(((

CU, Roland

@mattb wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, 

I think you may have slightly misunderstood what @abdullahh374 was saying. He was previously using a non-recommended mic and then found using a recommended mic fixed the problem for him. If you are experiencing issues with the audio of your camera when using Wi-Fi, first try re-updating your firmware and testing in an environment without other electronics around while the camera is outside of its housing. If you continue to experience a problem with the audio, contact our Support Team and they will be glad to help you out further. 

I hope that helps! 

Best, 

Matt B. 

Reply to Message - GOPRO SUPPORT HUB 2016-03-09 02-01-44.png
GoPro

Hi @Anonymous, 

No worries on the attachment. The best thing to do will be to reach out to the Support Team and explain the issue. They will probably ask you for some test footage and then can move forward on getting the problem worked out. 

Please let us know how it goes!

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

So, it has been a while since I posted this problem and thought I would update. I first went through the GoPro support team. They were hopeless. they had me record short examples of footage. Inside, outside, in housing, out of housing, wi-fi on, wi-fi off etc etc. Each of these requests were made one at a time instead of just giving me a list of recordings to make and each response took about a day to get a reply from so it was an excruciatingly slow process. At the end of all this they described that the fix was to use the camera out of the housing only, even though I had shown them the housing had nothing to do with the fault.

When they told me the problem was something it clearly wasn't and offered me a solution that clearly wasn't I contacted the people I had bought the camera from (on Amazon) who said it was a known issue and just send it back. They were brilliant and let me send just the camera back and replaced it with a new one. The new one still has the issue but it is significantly less obvious and I suspect I am only hearing it because I am listening for it.

So inspite of what Abdullahh or Roland say I have taken two things from this experience. 1) It is a known issue and I guess GoPro has no solution and are stringing people along until they find one. 2) Retailers know about the issue so take yours back and have it replaced and keep doing that until you get a good one. Perhaps after some pressure from retailers GoPro will start to better their game.

Also, I have no idea who tagged a previous reply as the solution, but it was not me and the reply that was tagged clearly wasn't a solution so I've untagged it.