Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Hero 4 Black Noise issue when using WiFi

Thank you very much for your post @irena! I hope someone from the US team finally understands and takes over my case, the guys from German GoPro support simply closed my case and told me they won't replace my Hero 4 Black!

After my 1st replacement, my caseworker was Alex A. all the time, after my last complaint Paulo Conceição took over, he introduced himself as "Senior Agent" of GoPro's technical customer service. He tried different subterfuges in my case, telling me he doesn't hear any problem, it would be the super "Advanced Auto Gain Control" with "2-Band Compressor" that the Hero 4 features (it did sound like an advertising text). But he offered me a free Skeleton Housing that would allow better audio. I declined of course, this piece of plastic is worth nothing and doesn't have any effect at all at the helicopter-noise!

Then he also tried to explain me it would be just "White Noise" that I hear, when I record in silent environments. I AGAIN did sind him the links to my test-videos, explained him that I know what white noise is very well, and that it's more than just white noise! He still claimed that my camera "was carefully analyzed" and denied that there's something wrong with my Hero 4 and that hereby he closes my case!!!

I did send another reply, trying to show him the difference between "white noise" and the helicopter noise again, one recording with WiFi, the next without, it is 100% obvious!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKp-wMJ50F8

Also asked him why my very first caseworker "João C." did hear the error and allowed the replacement, and now that I got a "tested" camera with the exactly same problem again, suddenly nobody hears any problem anymore and I don't get a replacement? I didn't get any more reply...

@mattb @blakes @Anonymous @bschmals any of you MODs please read Irena's post and ALL MY POSTS before and ASAP send me a flawless replacement!!! Without making any other barefaced GoPro "support" caseworker contacting me that tries to whitewash and deny the problem!

Hiker

[ Edited ]

No problem @Anonymous! This whole situation is just ridiculous! Especially since it's happening to more people, think I found atleast 15 (by 15 I mean those who receive multiple faulty replacements. Lot more people had the WiFi issue). There're probably more people, not everyone posts it online + a lot probably don't notice they received a faulty one. GoPro just doing some shady business.

I can clearly hear the helicopter on your video. They hear it too, but they just don't want to help. The caseworkers are probably forced by GoPro to say these things. The first few times you get a replacement pretty easy, they hope you don't notice or just accept it. Later on they just tell you they don't hear anything strange, trying to close the case. And then they just let you wait.

After I received my second faulty replacement I called them, at that point the person I spoke with took over my case. He's in the UK I think, atleast somewhere in Europe. His name is Alex F. But through chatting with a support representative and receiving a RMA form, I found out his name is Manuel.

It wouldn't surprise me if GoPro would tell the mods here to tell us they don't know anything about this.

@mods, if you're not told by GoPro to keep this under wraps. And you don't believe more people are in the same situation, I can direct you to those people.

I've made a seperate post about this to warn people. Oh yeah, screenshot everything incase they delete your posts.

Anonymous

Yes it's no exceptional case, I think there are hundreds if not thousands of customers who already had to play this game several times and got "tested" faulty cameras back. You're lucky if you bought your GoPro on Amazon, there also are countless cases (in all countries) with several replacements before there finally was one without the helicopter-noise, but at least returning or getting the money back is easy on Amazon - you don't have to deal 6 months of your life and spend 30 e-mails discussing with GoPro "support" employees, just to end exactly where you have started afterwards. This really is the most awful customer service I experienced in my whole life, communication in broken English and solving disputes with every Chinese dealer is way better!

I also saved the whole HTML-pages of this thread as a precaution. And I'm sure we will reach thousands more people on YouTube and other social media, spreading the truth what's going on here. I bet he https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cKKLpnLmHg will also love to cooperate and do a follow-up video...

So it's up to you GoPro guys! Get your things right, solve those issues for everyone fast and professional, stop fooling your own customers!!! I used several GoPro models since 2009 already, wrote 30 e-mails since Christmas now, did dozens of senseless tests proving the fault and still are treated like I would have no idea of what I'm talking about, get stupid excuses that sound like advertising texts instead of a responsive reply, and finally my case gets closed, simply ignoring the truth? Send out a flawless Hero 4 Black immediately, without scratches on the lens and tested for the helicopter noise anywhere else than in your box with the ventilation background-noise! Use a 100% silent environment, use headphones and maximum loudness or increase volume in post-processing until you made 100% sure audio sounds identical with and without WiFi. Send me this camera immediately and without forcing me to send in mine first - include the RMA documents instead and I will send mine back when I got the replacement. Or if you're not able to do so send me 439,00€ - that's the price on Amazon Germany right now.

ORIGINAL ARTICLE: http://www.lawabidingbiker.com/go-pro-hero4-audio-problem SEE MY UPDATED GOPRO AUDIO PROBLEM VIDEO. I HAVE A GREAT PROCEDURE THAT WILL HELP...
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Just reading this topic regarding the Hero 4 Black Noise Issue. After reading this and peoples dealings with support I don't think there is any point in sending the camera back to GoPro. It seem's as if it's a design flaw with the GoPro Hero 4 Black they aren't prepared to fix. As it is a manufacturing issue.

Can I just point out to GoPro that. The only reason we all use WIFI, is for the function of the remote. When on a Motorbike the remote is necessary. Why can't the remote just use Bluetooth? This would conserve battery life alot better than using WIFI for the remote. Bluetooth can do the job just fine.. WIFI is good for connecting to GoPro App yes. But the remote should use Bluetooth

I discovered this issue after a deaf person on eBay asked me to setup AutoSubs for him on Kodi..

I went through a lot of trouble creating a video for him showing how to work subtitles offsets etc in Kodi.

See video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnzfzcBZ8jI

So this morning I made a WIFI Off / On Test video.

See video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnqvY0CU2vI

The issue is definitely related to the WIFI. Wether Indoors or Outdoors..

Why not just use Bluetooth for remote function?

This is very silly and embarrassing design flaw from GoPro.

Anonymous

@Anonymous Sure it is a design flaw, a problem with the shielding of the mic, but it HAS to be fixed. At the end of page 3 I linked to a Russian guy who shows how to sovle it...

There also exist Hero 4 units without this issue - I got one replacement that was fine, but it had scratches on the lens! So I had to return it again and got a new replacement where the lens was fine, but it had the helicopter-noise again. That's where I am since several months now, discussing with the "support". My Hero 3 Black also didn't have this issue.

The idea of using Bluetooth only as an option is good, often this might be already enough. But there also are people using just a phone as remote or also this remote https://www.removu.com/removu-r1plus/ with included live-view screen. This is a great accessory (that is known for Sony Actioncam users for longer already) and that needs WiFi of course in order to get the live-preview. It helps framing what you actually shoot a lot, so WiFi-mode should be there as well. Btw. Sony has a way shorter delay than GoPro in live-view since years already and much better audio, of course without any additional noise with WiFi. But what I don't like about the Sony Cams is the way stronger distortion of the lens, and the (optional) digital image-stabilization also doesn't convince me, it often results in unnatural looking "morphing" in the edges of the video...

Hiker

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous Yeah, lots of comments on that videos too. Whatever GoPro releases next, it won't save their company if they treat their customers like this.

@Anonymous There is definitely no point in sending cameras back to GoPro as they're just sending faulty cameras back, on purpose.

The most shocking thing is GoPro's just stringing people along. It seems the WiFi issues was fixed at some point, I've had a camera without this issue. But the last couple of months GoPro's selling the faulty cameras again, and send them as replacements. And then they just kind stop offering support; send multiple faulty replacements, tell the camera is fine.

Anonymous

I'm glad I tripped onto this thread.  I didn't know I had this issue because I have been recording all of my video using a quadcopter. With a quadcopter, you don't use the audio.

I had another issue with my GoPro Hero4 last year where it would just shut off after a few seconds.  And, as everyone has said, what the customer service put you through is soooooo unbelievably frustrating and makes my stomach turn.  I'm also running up on my warranty deadline.

Hiker

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous Good you found out.

Just to warn you, be careful with sending your camera back to GoPro.
If you didn't buy it from GoPro directly, try going back to the place you bought it from first. If they give you a brand new one, test that one too!

These last months GoPro's sending out replacement cameras with this issue.
So there's a good chance you'll receive a replacement with this same issue again. And for a second, third and fourth time!