Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Hero 3 White firmware update not working

Having a weird problem trying to update my Hero3 White. 

First, when I power on, the screen reports "Hero 3 v03.00". When I use any of the Apps they report "Update firmware available"

I've followed to prompts and downloaded the UPDATE.zip file from the GOPRO website then extracted and copied to memory card as per instructions. When camera powers on, it doen't do updates, simply powers on as per normal.

After much mucking around I discovered that if i place the files into the root of the memory card, not in the UPDATE folder, when I power the camea on, it goes through the process of updating the camera, counting 5%, 10% etc until it hits 100% at which point the camera powers off.

When I power the camera back on, it still reports "Hero 3 v03.00" and the Apps still report that there is a firmware update available.

Seems like the process is working, however the update doesn't seem to stick, it seems to keep reverting back to the original outdated firmare. For reference, the files I'm using are:

HD3.09-firmware.bin

update.cmd

WF3.01-app.bin

and I'm doing Firmware Only upgrade, not the Wi-Fi reset.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 3 White firmware update not working

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

i'm not even able to download the files at all from the site. Can you send the update files to me? My email is [edit].

It seems that you have to change the name of the file that is named 03.09 into 03.01.

Hope to hear from you!

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks for the tip quickstar80167.

I've just been able to update my GoPro Hero3 White thanks to various tips.  Here's what I've found

1. If you follow the update instructions word for word, you end up with the files in an "UPDATE" folder on the SD Card. The files all need to be in the root of the SD Card
  2. The file HD3.09-firmware.bin needs to be renamed to HD3.01-firmware.bin before you place is on the SD Card.

I did this with the file downloaded from the website yesterday (I've spent HOURS trying to get this to update) and it's now showing verson 3.07 on start up. Strange that this doesn't match either of the version numbers in the file names.

Come one GoPro - can you fix the file name so we don't have to waste hours on this simple process?

Highlighted
Sightseer

HAD THE SAME ISSUE. GO PRO PHONE SUPPORT WAS HORRIBLE....STARTED READING AND TWO HOURS LATER FOUND THIS STRING.....THANK YOU

Highlighted
Sightseer

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! I renamed the firmwire and finally after multiple attempts, 3 different Sd cards, and a whole lot of wasted time... IT WORKED. :-)

Highlighted
Sightseer

Holysmokes.  I finally tried putting the files in the root directory of the SD Card, but I would have never thought to rename the .bin file.  Thank you!

More than a few oddities with the version, too, re: your 3.07 note

After the update seemed to have taken effect (the counter hit 100%, I assume that was good?), my camera still reports v03.03 on bootup.  I've tried doing the update again, and it doesn't go through the update cycle.  So, I am assuming that it's "up to date."  When I connect to the camera via the GoPro App on my phone, the app reports the camera to be at version HD3.09.03.03.  I don't really trust that, though, because of the aforementioned version.txt file that was generated on my SD Cards and beacuse I never looked at that before.

I still can't get my wireless remote control to pair; tho.  :(  I have adjusted the WiFi settings from App->RC, no soup.  I won't hijack this thread, but in case anyone was looking to update the camera to support the wireless remote control, there's apparently something more to do (pairing is supposed to be pretty simple, tho: https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/wi-fi-bacpac-wi-fi-remote/remote-manuals/WF_Remote_UM_ENG_web.pdf)

Highlighted
Sightseer

i could not update my hero 3 white but after rename frimwate 09 to 01 fix my problem