Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Hero 3+ Silver not recognized by Windows 10

I've been having problems with connectivity over the past few months with my Hero3+ Silver. I used to be able to see it and access it using Quik and edit the files on the SD card, although I couldn't connect with my phone (I'd forgotten the wifi password)

I'm about to go on a bike trip so I wanted to clear the SD card to record some new footage. I also wanted to reset the wifi password so I could access it on my phone. I took the camera to work and while I could see it on my PC there (windows 10) I couldn't edit any of the content already on the SD card. I decided to bring it home and try here as I knew I could access the files here but when I got home my PC here (also Windows 10) won't even recognize the USB connection at all. The USB charging symbol appears on the camera but that's it. In fact, it doesn't even seem to be charging well, as when I disconnect and turn on the camera it shows minimum battery charge.

I've had the camera for 6 years or so now so I don't even know if it's still covered by any warranty or if it's worth trying to fix this, but I'm not keen on buying a new camera just yet.

Is there an option of resetting factory defaults that might resolve this? Or some sort of windows update that might fix the USB connection?

Regards,

Michael

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 3+ Silver not recognized by Windows 10

To reset the Wi-Fi on your camera you are going to need to do a manual update. To do this, you're going to need a USB/SD card adapter.

Problem isn't with the camera, but rather Windows now using an MPT device protocol when connecting the camera. If you use an adapter, then the SD card will be seen as a Dr. However, when you connect the camera, the MTP protocol we'll see your camera as a device and therefore, you won't have editing capabilities, only ability to transfer files.

it's not uncommon for devices to have issues with the MTP protocol on Windows machines. You can search Microsoft forums for a solution, but your best bet is just using an adapter and inserting your SD card directly into your computer.

Hero3 updates a little differently than the other GoPro cameras. You need to download the manual update to your computer. Extract the update folder from the update file. Format your SD card in the computer and then move all of the files from within the update folder onto the blank SD card. Do not put the update folder onto the card. You only need to move the files from within this folder onto the blank SD card.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

To reset the Wi-Fi on your camera you are going to need to do a manual update. To do this, you're going to need a USB/SD card adapter.

Problem isn't with the camera, but rather Windows now using an MPT device protocol when connecting the camera. If you use an adapter, then the SD card will be seen as a Dr. However, when you connect the camera, the MTP protocol we'll see your camera as a device and therefore, you won't have editing capabilities, only ability to transfer files.

it's not uncommon for devices to have issues with the MTP protocol on Windows machines. You can search Microsoft forums for a solution, but your best bet is just using an adapter and inserting your SD card directly into your computer.

Hero3 updates a little differently than the other GoPro cameras. You need to download the manual update to your computer. Extract the update folder from the update file. Format your SD card in the computer and then move all of the files from within the update folder onto the blank SD card. Do not put the update folder onto the card. You only need to move the files from within this folder onto the blank SD card.
Highlighted
Explorer

As far as the charging is concerned, the camera is going to charge much slower if it is connected to a computer's USB then if you use a wall charger. Of course it's also possible that the battery is just getting old. You can still find hero3 batteries pretty cheap on Amazon if you feel that you might need a new battery. The hero3 has the worst battery life of all the GoPro cameras, but it should charge fully on a wall charger within an hour and a half to two hours.

Just a note, I'm writing all of this using voice to text, so there might be a few grammatical errors and or incorrect word used.