Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 3 HEVC why. Can't view on mp4 on app

Recently used my GoPro Hero 3 Black to shoot some video. Went to view on app (iPad 4yr old) telling me unable to view from camera as is a hevc codec? Also on new Android phone (base model not running snapdragon) why has my camera decided to use this codec..? Pre start May 2018 all working fine...? I have not requested change or update on camera... Yes upgrades are an answer but my money tree has not started fruiting...

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 3 HEVC why. Can't view on mp4 on app

Hello @redtree42475 and @jimjimg,

Which version of the GoPro App do you have installed on your mobile device? Also, what is the firmware version installed on your camera now? I just manually updated a HERO3+ Silver camera, recorded a video in 1080p, 60fps, and was able to successfully pair the camera with the app. I was also able to view media on the mobile device without any error message. I used a Samsung phone with GoPro App version 4.6.1. 

How did you update the camera? Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the app? Hope to hear back from you. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Are the files on the HERO3 left over from shots taken on another camera? The HEVC codec is new to GoPro, and is used on the HERO6 Black. Earlier models like the HERO3 would not have used that codec.

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

All the videos have been shot on my GoPro, Memory card stays in always... The app on a new Andriod phone is telling me of the HEVC issue.. Also the older iPad simply does not see them (new videos). To my knowledge no changes were made. The puzzling aspect to this is that the iPad always viewed the videos up until my last outing....? The Android phone is a basic unit not running anything great BUT it sees previous videos. I am aware in theory the HEVC should not be on the Hero3 Black... GoPro support are looking into it.. Thanks...

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Can't figure that one out unless it was an encoding error that the iPad is misreading. Please copy all of the content off of the SD card to your computer (so you don't lose it), and then reformat the SD card. If you get the same errors after doing that, please let our Support team know and we can dig into this with you. Our team can be reached at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Jeff, I have done as you advised BUT no change.... 

I have been in contact with support see below the contact reference: 

Many thanks,
Stephen
GoPro Support
www.gopro.com/support

ref:_00Do0HJuF._5001JZZmCF:ref

The issue is what / why the GoPro is recording video in a certain way after end April 2018. All video recorded by camera on the same SD card pre April 2018 will play on new Android phone & iPad. 

James.......

Screenshot_2018-05-19-20-28-37-85 (2).png
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

The team is looking into your case now. FYI, if you need to follow up, your case number is 04563501.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, have this been solved? I am currently experiencing the same problem after updating software on the Hero 3+. I am unable to view my new videos on the GoPro App.
Getting the same Error of being unable to read HEVC video.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you
Highlighted
Tourist

No this problem was NOT solved. Support tried to advise me my devices were not compatible BUT this does not explain why one day the old iPad played & next day did not... I have kind of left it for the moment which also means I have not been using my GoPro...
James....