Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 3 Freezing

Dear All,

my quite old Hero 3 has a strange behavior:

It´s necessary to put the cam for about 2 to 5 min. into the freezer (- 18°C) when a newly recharged lipo is put into the cam or the lipo has been charged via the USB port. Otherwise the LCD screen freezes when not using the "freezer"-method. NO JOKE I can reproduce is all time inserting a charged lipo. 

Lipo´s are new and original and charged via the original charger. SD card´s are the recommendet one´s. Firmware is latest 3.03. A cold boot has been done often.

Does anyone have an explanation or a fix for this strange behavior?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 3 Freezing

Hey @norbertw07354,

Give these steps a try and lets see if we can get that camera working:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/Camera-Freezes-Up

Let us know how that goes.

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

Hey ryanv12566, 

as mentioned in my short note:

the cam needs to be put into a freezer (meaning to a fridge at -18°C) for some minutes when inserting a freshy charged lipo to get it working again. It´s working well till a freshly charged lipo has to be inserted again. I have no idear why and no explanation for this behavior.

Best regards

Norbert

Highlighted
Explorer

The reason it works is because the freezing delays thermal expansion of weak solder joints. When an electronic package encounters thermal fluctuations, cyclical shear strain is imposed on the solder joint interconnections. The thermal cycling leads to a condition of thermal fatigue and eventual solder joint failure. You're not going to be able to "fix" this other than to just continue doing what you're doing.
Highlighted
Explorer

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks alot for your comment danielr15. Maybe there is a way for me to find the weak points in my Hero3, or even better convince my wife to buy a new on :)