Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 3 Black goes through update but not actually updateing.

Ive been trying to update my Hero 3 Black for a couple of hours now. It seems to go through the update process and I dont get a failure warning. But when I start the camera it still says v3.00 and I cannot get it to connect to the GoPro app on my phone. So far I have tried installing just the wifi update, just the firmware update, and the firmware+wifi combo. They all do the same thing. While the update doesnt seem to take it does reset all of my settings so something must be happening. I have also tried to put the files into a folder named UPDATE, ive tried just putting the zip on the card and I have tried putting the files in the root of the card (this is the only one that does anything). I am out of ideas on what to do.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 3 Black goes through update but not actually updateing.

Hello @velonici, @lowelle6, @celsodn23. If you all have the HERO3 Black, the camera and the app will both show v03.00 which is the latest firmware version. You may refer to this page. The camera and the app displays only the last segment or last four digits of the firmware version. 

Are you having any particular issues with the camera?

@lowelle6 - See if your camera is able to attain the expected battery life depending on the resolution used. You may refer to the table of values here for comparison. As for pairing with the app, please go through the troubleshooting steps detailed in this article to establish connectivity between your camera and phone. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

@velonici, do you get the same result if you power the camera on without the SD card inserted? If the camera works fine without the SD card inserted, then the issue is likely stemming from the SD card. 

You can get the full list of microSD cards that are known to work well with GoPro cameras here.

Otherwise, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras

If the issue persists, our Support team will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat.

Highlighted
Tourist

Even removing the SD card the camera boots into FW v3.00. I have tried 3 different SD cards now. Looks like Ill have to give them a call.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

HD**************1

please send updates for this gopro 3 I CANT CONNECT TO THE WIFI

I have tired everything.

celso.denobrega@gmail.com

PLEASE HELP

Highlighted
Tourist

Did this ever get resolved?   I am a Hero 3 user and just got mine out of retirement.  I am on version 3.00 based on the startup screen adn the seetings screen within the GoPro application on my phone.   I remember from when I got my camera that that they don't run well until they get the update.  Mine has terrible battery life and terrible connectivity to the app, both of which were not problems when the camera had the updated firmware. 

Please let us know if you reached a resolution.   These cameras are still too nice to simply retire because new stuff has hit the market.  Thanks!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @velonici, @lowelle6, @celsodn23. If you all have the HERO3 Black, the camera and the app will both show v03.00 which is the latest firmware version. You may refer to this page. The camera and the app displays only the last segment or last four digits of the firmware version. 

Are you having any particular issues with the camera?

@lowelle6 - See if your camera is able to attain the expected battery life depending on the resolution used. You may refer to the table of values here for comparison. As for pairing with the app, please go through the troubleshooting steps detailed in this article to establish connectivity between your camera and phone. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Good to know about the firmware display. It would be nice if it said that somewhere. I do have issues connecting the camera to the app though. My phone sees the GoPro WIFI, connects to it, but the app never finds the camera. The Wifi on the GoPro is set to "APP."
Highlighted
Tourist

That is very good to know about showing only the last digits of the update.  That tells me this update has been working each time. 

Now as the others mention, the app on my phone or tablet are not getting along with the camera itself.  I can adjust the settings of the camera, but the preview has only worked maybe once in the last fifty or more tries.  Also, actually looking at or previewing the video does not work.  My app sees there are videos, but can never actually preview them for download.   When I get home I will look to see if I can download without actually previewing.  

I miss the days of easily snagging a picture out of the video!

Thanks!