Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: Hero (2018) — Weird audio problem

Thank you for sharing, @rapidrange64746. We'll look into this issue further with the team. We'll keep you posted. Best regards!

Sightseer

Hi I have the exact same problem !

The Audio starts really muffled and after a few seconds it "opens up" 

This is really bad since I intend to use the camera mainly for recording live music

Could it be that I got a bad unit ?

Hiker

Hi! 

I'm not sure... After posting this, I've read more cases about this problem and watched other YouTube footage showing the same problem. 

I hope this is fixable with a software update...

Recording when you're counting on the audio (like music recording or vlogging), it's a bit frustrating. 

Sightseer

Hey there, I wanted to hazard a guess based on a similar sounding audio issue I've been having with my GoPro 5.

These instructions will be based on the 5, but there's a good chance you can do something similar on your's. If you go under ProTune and swipe over the right a few times you'll get to something called "MANUAL AUDIO CONTROL." This allows you to tell your go to either stay on Stero audio or wind reduction mode (which sounds a bit muffled because of the noise reduction being applied.)

The GoPro automatically uses both of these modes and therefore switches between them in an attempt to optimize the audio quality. IE if you're recording outside and a big breeze comes along, the GoPro switches to the more muffles wind reduction mode, then back to normal stereo when it feels the wind has subsided. This would result in the audio levels jumping between normal and muffled for weird intervals. The solution is to go into the manual audio control and just pick Stereo or Wind Reduction so that your audio will stay the same the whole time. Personally, I think they both sound pretty bad and have been frustrated lately with the poor audio quality I've been getting with the onboard Mic, but that's a seperate issue for me haha.

Hope this helps!

Hiker

Hey! Thanks for your reply, but sadly, the Hero (2018) doesn't have ProTune in its software. But if it had, I'm pretty sure you're right. The function you're describing fits the symptoms.

I hope GoPro will fix this in its next firmware update.

Tourist

Is there Solution now? 

GoPro

Hi @grayhero07300,

Please try to contact our customer support team for follow up. 

They might be able to check that for you. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay

Sightseer

I just got GoPro7 hero, noticed same sound muffle issue while I recording in Ice Rink. 

Audio mode seems to be changed frequently.