Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 10 Overheats

[ New ]
My Hero 10 Overheats in about 30 minutes recording at 5.3K or at 4K 120 fps. It shuts down. I'm indoors at 74 degrees F with the camera sitting on a cold countertop. This is unacceptable.
Hiker

Re: Hero 10 Overheats

[ New ]

This has been happening to many gopro 9 users for over a year. It is a common problem. #1 Use an excellent sandisk extreme pro sd card. #2 use a Ulanzi external battery grip connected to your charge on your camera to keep your internal battery cooler. #3 Reduce your long videos to 4k 24 fps.  #4 allow your rear screen to time out and use your front screen only as a timer. Add a display Mod to your camera which acts on its own powerbank. By doing this, my 2 gopro 9 cameras have never overheated once with this setup, at well over an hours worth of recording many many times.

Hiker

[ New ]
This is a non-solution. What you're saying is don't use this product as advertised and buy a bunch of other stuff to make it work as it should.
Hiker

[ New ]

I'm happy with what the gopro offers. with some tweaking i was able to have a functioning 4k studio setup for super cheap (comparatively). You might be looking for something outside of the boundaries of what an inexpensive action camera offers. With a few upgrades Im able to basically have a sharp 2 camera setup that works off of a single remote. for that I'm thankful!! I understand you might be disappointed with the limitations of this high resolution recording device with internal recording, but the price makes it worthwhile!!

Hiker

[ New ]
Why would I be happy with something that doesn't work as advertised?
Hiker

[ New ]

It actually works exactly as advertised. Just not for over a 30 min time period at those high resolution numbers you're shooting at. Please become acquainted with how much you'd have to spend to have the options of a gopro with a longer timeperiod recording device. GoPro is definetely the winner in my opinion.

Hiker

[ New ]
Wrong. They say you can record 5.3K. They also support plugging it in and recording while charging. The implicit result is you can record indefinitely until you run out of storage. Pure rubbish. Even at 4K 30 fps I can't record through a full battery without overheating indoors at room temperature. That's embarrassing. It's not ready for prime time. It's a toy. I have an Akaso knock off that I purchase for under $100 that does better!
Hiker

[ New ]

I think they have a 30 day  return policy, simply send it back for a refund if not happy with it. Their support team is really good.

Hiker

[ New ]
I purchased from a big box retailer and I discarded the packaging. I couldn't fathom that this would be a problem. After day 1 and 2 and having taken many short clips I admit I was impressed. Only after I tried some longer shoots did I realize how poorly suited this product is for its intended purpose.
Tourist

[ New ]
A mi tambien me funciona extremadamente mal!!
Es horroroso, se sobrecalienta a los 5 minutos, o simplemente no se apaga se queda apagando, no es capaz de tomar foto se queda como bloqueada contantemente, y me obliga a quitar la bateria. Consumo gopro desde la 5 y se como funcionan, esto es inaceptable!!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

Processing at high-performance modes requires a lot of power, so GoPro has put safeguards in place to protect consumers and the cameras from overheating when the camera reaches a certain temperature. 

The HERO10 is engineered to support what we know a majority of HERO owners use the camera for: to shoot shorter clips in environments with natural airflow. 

Our research shows that 75% of videos shot on GoPro are less than a minute and ten seconds.  HERO10 Black can record 5.3k at 60 fps for 20 minutes with zero airflow - approximately 16x the average length of a GoPro video. HERO10 Black can record 4k at 60fps for 25 minutes with zero airflow – more than 21x the length of an average GoPro video. 

So for the filming scenario when long clips at highest resolutions in a static environment are required, we recommend taking the necessary steps to provide some airflow. This will improve the camera’s thermal performance and allow for longer video capture

.A chart of expected battery times and related testing conditions can be found here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Camera-Battery-Life/ta-p/394294

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
If that's the case, then you need to tell the truth when advertising the product. This is advertised as a perfect solution for vlogging. That is a static environment without airflow. Who cares what the average user does with it? It's about fitness for use. If you are selling a product intended for under 2 minute clips, then it needs to be advertised as such. Not only that, there are numerous examples of social media posts and examples provided by GoPro that are significantly longer than the average use.
Hiker

[ New ]

@zoommanfl  A quick question please, where does it say in the advertising that a camera must work more than 30 minutes without cooling by wind (is yes an action camera)?
Do not know this advertising statement from GoPro. Can you post an example link please?

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the battery information @aragon1006 . Would be nice to have a wifi on/off switch in dashboard to save battery in Hero 11. You could move the grid switch to display menu and add switch to wifi. Much more usefull IMO.

Hiker

Re: Hero 10 Overheating

[ New ]
I'm sorry your action lasts less than 30 minutes.
Hiker

[ New ]
But seriously, they offer an official freaking in-use charging cable door for those "extra-long" shoots right on their website.

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/usb-pass-through-door/ADCOD-001.html

You're being a disingenuous fanboy if you can't see this product is advertised for things other than short clips. Nowhere does it say it will fail to operate due to self generated heat. The specs say it will operate up to 95F ambient. That implies that it will not have a self induced meltdown without external cooling up to that temperature. It fails to meet the spec. Plain and simple.
Hiker

[ New ]

@zoommanfl 

After all, if you are so dissatisfied with the GoPro you just purchased, can't they cancel the purchase and get your money back?
Is there no such regulation in your country?

The camera does not seem to meet their requirements, I would then ask GoPro to cancel the purchase.

Hiker

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]
Incidentally, this video got me thinking, and a vlogger could use this without a battery installed while connected to a charger via USB with the door off. This isn't an acceptable solution as much as a workaround. In theory the issue is the battery heat. No battery equals less heat. I haven't tried it, but I bet it would work.
Tourist

[ New ]
je viens d’acquérir la 10 après la 8 black mais là je suis déçu comme toi car après plusieurs essais de plus de 25 minutes d’enregistrement elle se met en surchauffe , alors que version 8 black aucun souci au contraire . de plus quand je souhaite l’utiliser sur batterie externe cela fonctionne sans problème 21 minutes elle chauffe , mais normalement, donc je soupçonne les batteries de chauffer trop vite
Adventurer

[ New ]

So I grilled mine that means its ten times  more to SHUT down

https://youtu.be/2B2nnFFKqLs

If you like what you see hit that subscribe, I keep thing real. Thank you for viewing Please do not forget to Rate, Comment, and Subscribe The Gear I use:...
Nomad

[ New ]

@zoommanfl You have received a possible solution from a USER! Accept it or give the camera back, but don't cry around here!

By the way, I looked at the Hero10 "commercial" and never read anywhere that this ACTIONCAM was intended for recordings of a CERTAIN TIME! So what exactly is the term "extra long" referring to? In which recording mode?

If you are so disappointed and dissatisfied, PLEASE return the camera, look for another product with which you will be happy. All others read better BEFORE buying what problems there are with the Hero10 and then decide or learn how to deal with it ....

Hiker

[ New ]
I'm not crying. It's called warning the public, just like the numerous other posts around the Internet and numerous videos emerging on YouTube. Clearly people are disappointed.
Nomad

[ New ]

If people inquired beforehand, many would not be disappointed afterwards, or if people would adjust their expectations to an action cam, they would not be disappointed either ...

Hiker

[ New ]
I realize this is often seen as a fanboy forum. My hope is that GoPro listens up and develops better products. There's nothing wrong with pushing products to their limit and voicing dissatisfaction when they fail to meet expectations. After all, GoPro is all about capturing extremes. You'd think they would want to make products that live up to those extremes.

I think the Hero 10 is a decent product for the money, and I appreciate the idea of the GP2 processor. They have just failed miserably at considering the heat issues, and I'm not alone in voicing my dissatisfaction. If you want a forum with only rainbows and unicorns, a manufacturer's community SUPPORT hub is not the place to find them.
Tourist

[ New ]

au contraire je ne sui pas décu ,mais cela me surprend car avec la version 8 contrairement a cette nouvelle version 10, il est imposible d'allumer la camera en mode vocal et de plus lorsque j'utilise une ( batterie externe) sur la gopro 10 contrairement a la 8 il met impossible de visualiser sur lecrande la camera se que je film car l'ecran reste noir. contrairement a la 8 ou je pouvais voir se que je filmait  donc non je ne pleure pas mais je m'exprime sur un problème recurrent  que je pense que d'autres utilisateur sont dans la meme situation que moi de plus avec la version 8 noir je l'utilisait comme dashcam sur prise allume cigare  et je n'ai j'amais rien eu a lui reprocher, mais se sont des faits que je constate sans pour autant dire que le produit n'est pas bon au contraire elle est superbe cette nouvelle caméra  

Hiker

[ New ]

@zoommanfl 

Funny, I read a lot of critical voices about GoPro in this forum.
Obviously, not all users share your opinion, then immediately talk about fanboys is actually rude.

You have your opinion, but are also to blame for your "fate". Why do you immediately throw the practical case of the GoPro 10 black in the trash?

Now they can not return the camera and are frustrated.
Some users have given you good tips to extend the runtime of the camera.
If that's just "fanboys" for them then maybe they really are in the wrong forum here ...

Understand my not wrong, please keep posting comments. But please also accept that many users will not share your opinion on this topic, because your opinion may be based on emotions and not on facts.

Tourist

[ New ]
au contraire je suis content de cette nouvelle 10 c'est juste qu'ils y a quelque souci récurent , qu'il y a avec cette nouvelle version alors qu'avec la version 8 que j'avais cela ne c’était pas passer après je ne sui pas déçu au contraire j'ai toujours été satisfait de la marque gopro se sont de très bon produits
Hiker

[ New ]
It will be interesting to read GoPro's answer. I unpacked my hero 10 yesterday. I studied the settings for 8-10 minutes, the camera warmed up during this time,. The screen brightness was 50%.
Nomad

[ New ]
Why the pro instead of regular extreme?
Nomad

[ New ]

@alertcave71667 wrote:

This has been happening to many gopro 9 users for over a year. It is a common problem. #1 Use an excellent sandisk extreme pro sd card. #2 use a Ulanzi external battery grip connected to your charge on your camera to keep your internal battery cooler. #3 Reduce your long videos to 4k 24 fps.  #4 allow your rear screen to time out and use your front screen only as a timer. Add a display Mod to your camera which acts on its own powerbank. By doing this, my 2 gopro 9 cameras have never overheated once with this setup, at well over an hours worth of recording many many times.

Why you chose the pro over regular extreme

Hiker

[ New ]
@alertcave71667 , You have Hero 9, in this thread they are discussing Hero 10 overheating . You say "this is an inexpensive camera" - in my country it costs like two salaries (average), I migrated from there to Europe..
Adventurer

[ New ]

I am not a fan boy. I am a real peron. I will tell you exactly as it is.

1 you buy a camera, got 30 days here to try it out, not happy in any way. return.

the fix was take shorter videos.  then why ws my  grill video  not overheating in a 400 plus degree  bbq.   Yes the camera stationary overheated in 20 minutes but all my videos are 10 minute and under

Tourist

[ New ]
the problem is that the camera with the battery inserted in it heats up much more than if you use an external battery because I filmed a football match for 50 minutes with the Gopro 8 it did not overheat so I will test in the fridge at 2 degrees since the temperature range is between -10 and +35 for the time it takes and I will see if it comes from the Gopro 10
Tourist

[ New ]
the problem is that the camera with the battery inserted in it heats up much more than if you use an external battery because I filmed a football match for 50 minutes with the Gopro 8 it did not overheat so I will test in the fridge at 2 degrees since the temperature range is between -10 and +35 for the time it takes and I will see if it comes from the Gopro 10 thanks
Tourist

[ New ]
this maybe proves that some Gopro 10 series have a design concern
Hiker

[ New ]

Simply because it was the best available card. Also, don't ever remove your sd card from your Go Pro. Use the MTP feature on the camera to download your videos from your USB C output / charging slot on the media mod for the camera. Constant removal of the SD card will wear down it's contacts. Just put in a new one in the Go Pro and leave it alone for good!!!!

Tourist

[ New ]
What we are looking for is a camera that will not miss a decisive moment under any circumstances.
User requests should be taken seriously.
Hiker

[ New ]
Hello, I simply meant that it was relatively inexpensive when compared to other cameras with the same abilities. The architecture of the GoPro 9 and 10 are nearly the same, so I'm somewhat sure that the things that helped to keep the 9 cool will work to keep the 10 from overheating as well.
Hiker

[ New ]
What we are looking for is a camera that will not miss a decisive moment under any circumstances.
User requests should be taken seriously.

Hello the Go Pro is like any other piece of technology, just learn its technical nuances and you will be fine. Please read this thread to learn how to make it into a more predictable and reliable piece of technology that suits your needs.
Nomad

[ New ]
When I to MTP to my phone it never completlely downloads. it stuck at 1% do u have the 10?
Nomad

[ New ]

"What we are looking for is a camera that will not miss a decisive moment under any circumstances."
When you find a camera like this, post it here!
Of course, it should also deliver the best result of all and be the cheapest of all ...

Hiker

[ New ]
I have done.more.testing.and I can confirm that if the battery is charged and the camera is plugged in, the heat issue largely goes away, especially if you have at least some airflow and it's on a mount, i.e. not sitting flat on a surface. I think the battery discharge is what makes it overheat. I have not tried charging a discharged battery while recording. This could be an issue. If your activity allows it to be plugged in all the time, this camera could be a good choice.
Hiker

[ New ]
"Re: Hero 10 Overheats[ New ]
When I to MTP to my phone it never completlely downloads. it stuck at 1% do u have the 10?"

No I have the 9. I use the MTP feature to download through the "image capture" program on my Mac, to a USB flash drive. I don't save it on my Mac, I just use the Mac as a pass through device to my USB flash drive. I then give the flash drive to my son who edits my 30 minute 4k 60fps videos on his desktop PC and posts them online. Works perfect everytime.  Using your phone as a download device might be either stretching its download space or  overloading it's capabilities.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, look at these tests where the GoPro 10 doesn't seem to overheat while wind is blowing around ! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DypcZJtUNDA&t=262s

In this case, after nearly a month of testing the GoPro Hero 10 Black in daily use (actually, two cameras), I posted my full in-depth review. In any event, a...
Adventurer

[ New ]

gopro advertisement video is nota gopro used.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Same here and out of the box.Inaccurately throws an error to only use certified batteries (I was using the original batteries and charger from the box). Overheated after 15-20 minutes in temperate weather albeit direct/partly cloudy environment in Texas (82F). Seems like power management FW issue but could thermal design issues.
Nomad

[ New ]

@zoommanfl wrote:
This is a non-solution. What you're saying is don't use this product as advertised and buy a bunch of other stuff to make it work as it should.

I've watched the GoPro advertisements and it seemed to have outdoor activities such as skiing, swimming, water skiing, strapped to the outside of a car, on a mountain bike, on a motor bike and even strapped to a lolloping dog but I can't remember it being advertised sitting on someones kitchen bench recording 5.3k 60fps for an extended period with no airflow around it or anything done to mitigate the heat.

Closest would have been the Yoga session, but then the camera was on a support raising it off the surface and allowing airflow underneath it and as it was a live stream it would probably have been shooting at 1080.  Looked as if they had the windows open as well though.

Hiker

[ New ]

at least their new models has a catch phrase of late

Hero 8 = GoNOT

Hero 9 = GoPOP

Hero10 = GoHOT

Gopro as a company = GoBLOT  - their issues have multiple birthdays with no fixes in sight - ordering, bugs, returns, customer service etc