Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Help!

Hello,

My first Go Pro purchase was my Hero 5 Black to take on my South American adventure. The first dip I took it in, maybe 6 ft deep, I came out of the water and the screen started spazzing out. All compartments were closed and I saw nothing out of the ordinary only the way it reacted. Shortly after it would do this strange clicking thing like it was on then do the same to turn off. When i got home i let it dry out a bit, thinking it somehow got wet. After a day it would not turn on. I layed all the parts on the table and let it get some slight sun to fix the issue. After 2 days it turned out but now I cant use my screen? I can only change the modes on the right and use the record button, but cant slide down my screen or change settings. This is infuriating. A camera we all know and love as waterproof, on my first dip, **bleep**s on me. I know there is something we can do to fix this, just tell me how! 

Thanks,

Chris Jones

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Help!

Wish we could help you out, but this is a member to member support community. On older GoPro cameras they could sometimes be saved with a thorough cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. However, as the camera is sealed and apparently powered on after getting wet, restoring this camera may be difficult. You can open the camera, clean the circuits and even replace the rear LCD, but it will definitely not be waterproof once you are done. Also, there is no guarantee that it will work properly. This is not recommended and will negate any chance of you getting a warranty replacement or other compensation from GoPro. If you want to try; however, here is a good place to start https://www.ifixit.com/Device/GoPro_Hero5_Black

Your best option, and first action, is to contact GoPro. You can chat or get the number to call them here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Per the warranty, water damage is not covered as it could have resulted from incorrectly shut doors or damage or debris on the gaskets.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Wish we could help you out, but this is a member to member support community. On older GoPro cameras they could sometimes be saved with a thorough cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. However, as the camera is sealed and apparently powered on after getting wet, restoring this camera may be difficult. You can open the camera, clean the circuits and even replace the rear LCD, but it will definitely not be waterproof once you are done. Also, there is no guarantee that it will work properly. This is not recommended and will negate any chance of you getting a warranty replacement or other compensation from GoPro. If you want to try; however, here is a good place to start https://www.ifixit.com/Device/GoPro_Hero5_Black

Your best option, and first action, is to contact GoPro. You can chat or get the number to call them here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Per the warranty, water damage is not covered as it could have resulted from incorrectly shut doors or damage or debris on the gaskets.
Highlighted
Adventurer

You did hte right thing and should have added RICE  and let continue to dry  since you turned on the camera the parts failed and  that can not be resolved, damage to the curcuitry.  SInce gopro has a Policy you will ahve to call and see if they will obid by it or decline you? the options outside of gopro is to purchase a  new case and lcd screen for $50.00 and attempt the repairs if not  Sell and take hte loss for a new gopro.  Like @danielr15 said  we are a forum to talk about this.

GoPro has options on damage  goods customers  get themselves into and they are pritty  good then getting nothing.  they may offer you up to 40% off retail  equeils out to  the trade up offer at times.