Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Help charging

I just recently bought a gopro hero 5 and i go to charge it, and the red led will flash, but not stay on.
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Help charging

What are you using to charge the camera Volts & Amps? Are you using the GoPro cable? Is the SD card in or out of the camera? What SD card is it? Have you tried charging with the SD card out of the camera? Have you been able to run a manual update?

Remove the SD card. Remove the battery, press the side mode button for 10-20 seconds and then replace the battery (leave the SD card out).
Use a wall charger 5V and 1A-2A and the GoPro cable. Leave it on the charger for at least two hours.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Make sure the camera is in the off state, Pul out hte battery and reinsert and then  try again to charge. the light will be solid if it is flashing what speed is it flashing  Slow fast rapid?   some times a  company will include a trouble shoot list and chart of what each led light means

a quick flask  once only is  the  acknoldege of a sd card,  is that noted in the manual?

Highlighted
Sightseer

i have tried pulling out the battery and sd card to no avail to a solid charge. The led indicator flashes quick once only.
Highlighted
Sightseer

i tried to update the camera also, however i saw where there was none available.
Highlighted
Sightseer

I can turn my camera on for a little while before it dies, and i have connected it to the app, however the app says it has zero percent even after charging for quite a few minutes.
Highlighted
Explorer

Again, Remove the SD card. Remove the battery, press the side mode button for 10-20 seconds and then replace the battery (leave the SD card out).
Use a wall charger 5V and 1A-2A and the GoPro cable. Leave it on the charger for at least two hours.

You want to leave it charging for more than a few minutes. Connecting to the app will drain the battery pretty fast as it uses Wi-Fi.

After allowing the camera to charge for a couple hours, download the MANUAL update to your computer. Extract the UPDATE folder from the file UPDATE.zip. You will have one folder named UPDATE and one file called UPDATE.zip when you are done.
Insert your SD card into your computer using a USB/SD adapter.
Format the card and then copy the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) onto the SD card.

Unplug your camera and remove the battery. Insert the SD card and then the battery. Plug the camera back into your wall charger. Turn the camera on using the side Mode/Power button.

Leave the camera plugged in while it performs the update.

Once it's done, unplug the camera and see if it's working. If not, it could just be a bad battery. However, it could also be something wrong with the camera. If it continues to not work properly, return it to where you purchased it for an exchange or refund.