Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Having trouble saving a high quality archive of my video.

I have 38:30 minutes of timewap video that when copied off my HERO8 is about 17.5GB.  How can I combine these clips, cut out some areas, add some text, and export without quality loss at somewhat close to the same file size? 

Analyzing the gopro output says 4:2:0 8bit. When I import into Davinci it makes the timeline 4:2:2 10bit. When I make my changes and export as cineform, its 4:2:2 10bit and 140GB.  Its also looks higher in contrast and richer in color then the orginal even though I dont make any color adjustments in Davinci.   Even If I want a lower quality h264 or h265 copy the colors come out different and the file size is huge to get not even similar quality. 

Making the changes in the goro quik app is near impossible as I want to cut certain segments in the middle of clips, but even then, exporting from quik isnt as good quality. Using quik, I also cant add multople audio tracks.

Advice?

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Having trouble saving a high quality archive of my video.

using ffprobe on the go pro video shows its yuvj420p and not yuv420p, which means its data level is Full 0-255, and not video 15-235.  This may have something to do with it.  Davinci is probably treating it as video data level, I dont know where to go from here, trying some things.  I'll mark all the media in davinci prject from gopro as Full instead of auto, then export to cineform as Full instead of auto.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Having trouble saving a high quality archive of my video.

Update.

Setting all the gopro clip attributes to data level Full and exporting to Full instead of Auto same poor result of high contrast, saturation.

Maybe solution:

Forcing the davinci export to Video levels instead of Full and the cineform looks identical to the input gopro footage.  Of course it's 100GB instead of the input gopro clips of 17.5GB. The output is 4:2:2 10bit while the input gopro is 4:2:0 8bit.  At least now I can use ffmpeg to compress to vp9, h265, or svt-av1.

Still would like to find a way to maintain quality and file size after simple editing.