Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Have some sound but no video!!!

Hi,

Went some interesting places and thought I had taken some great video. Back on the PC I copied all the files off the card. In the 100GOPRO folder there are 8 x MP4 video, 8 x THM files, 8 x LRV files. Not entirely sure what the THM and LRV files are but when I try to open the MP4 files, files 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 when I play them are totally black and sound faint and really muffled. Files 2 and 4 turned out perfectly with full video and clear sound. I am using a SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-II 64GB card. I have used this card about 6 times before with no issues.

1) Why did this occur and how do I prevent it happening again?

2) Is there any way to recover these videos I have taken?

Thanks for any help.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Have some sound but no video!!!

Hi @chrisb225

What specific card are you using? Does it say SanDisk Extreme PRO? 

If you have a spare recommended SD card, try testing it with the camera.

See if the same happens.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

1. camera, tried playing thevid there?

2. transfered direct from card to pc, you have the LRV files so does File 1 mp4 is an issue, so is the LRV file??? did oyu play the LRV file?  The THM is a thumbnail  it  creates  that  still image to view of the video. then seeing  a  play file...

the LRV and thm are for the smartphone they become unhidden when using the card 

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the quick reply fishycomics. Here is what I found.

1) The camera plays the file the same as it does on the PC. On the PC I tried VLC Player and DaVinci Resolve.

2) I played the LRV file in VLC Player and come out with the same result.

I had even renamed the THM files to JPG files and the thumbnails did the same thing. Shows a black screen for but the 2 videos that worked.

Highlighted
Adventurer

then by all means contact GoPro/contactus page.

I  get  video of the camera  and  the files  to show...

Highlighted
Tourist

I have formatted the card again in the camera and will see how things go. Attached is an image of the contents of the 100GOPRO folder on the card. 

GoProFolder.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @chrisb225. When you mentioned that the camera plays the files the same way as in the PC, do you mean the camera also shows a black screen with audio only? 

Do you recall which resolution settings were used for your recordings? See if the recordings may have used HEVC based on the resolution settings. There is information here explaining HEVC and why some computers may not be able to play them correctly. 

By the way, the .LRV files are low resolution video files intended to be used for viewing the videos through the GoPro App for mobile devices. The .THM files are simply thumbnail files. Learn more about them through https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/What-are-thm-and-lrv-files/ta-p/390253 . Have you been able to view your media using the GoPro App?

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi mariustanya. That is correct the file is on the camera, when I click play it is totally black but can hear audio.

Resolution, I had it set to 4k 30fps. I find it unusual for this particular video because I was on a trail that was difficult and had started recording at the beggining with a full battery and let it go until the camera turned itself off so it was one long continuous take. The files are broken up into 3.9GB files. Once I set and forgot the camera there were no changes midway through. The fact that two of the 3.9GB files played fine on both my systems show that it is at least capable of HEVC.

Thanks for letting me know about those other file types.

I just tried to view the footage through the GoPro App installed on my phone and the result is the same. For the 2 videos that worked play fine. All the others are black videos with audio. I am going to format the card again and see how it goes but I think this footage is lost unfortunately.

P.S. I told a little fib with my original description. I thought the card was a 64GB card but it is not. It is a SanDisk Pro 128GB card

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @chrisb225

What specific card are you using? Does it say SanDisk Extreme PRO? 

If you have a spare recommended SD card, try testing it with the camera.

See if the same happens.

Thanks!

Ej