Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Has GoPro addressed the Overheating and Waterproofing complaints from the GoPro 7 Black?

Has GoPro adressed the Overheating and Waterproofing complaints from the GoPro7 so that the GoPro 8 doesn't have these issues? I saw some threads how the 7 (some users) have had issues regarding these things. I'm deciding whether to get the 7 or 8. Thanks. 

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Has GoPro addressed the Overheating and Waterproofing complaints from the GoPro 7 Black?

Overheating can be caused by a multitude of sources, bad sd cards, improper sd cards, 3rd party battery providers, improper camera usage etc.  

Water issues can also be caused by a multitude of sources, improperly closed battery door, using a 3rd party replacement lens cover etc.

The GoPro Hero 8 has done away with the replaceable lens cover therefore eliminating that as a possible water leak source.  The new battery and side door cover now has a visible red tab to indicate that it's not properly secured, this will also eliminate that as a source of water entry.  So that's a user improvement straight away.

They can't do anything about bad or improper SD cards, 3rd party batteries or improper camera usage of course.  If you're unsure on whether or not to get a camera, then wait.  Let the major release happen, keep an eye on websites, youtube etc to see what user experience is like and what the overall feedback is.  

In my own experience, I've never had a GoPro problem with my camera's, they all work fine (GoPro Hero 2 still going strong, 2 x GP4 Blacks, 2 x Hero 6 blacks, 2 x Fusion).  Even the app is constantly being updated thanks to public feedback and that's something that I like about GoPro.  They do listen and take feedback on board.  So yeah, if you're undecided, just wait and see how things go.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Has GoPro addressed the Overheating and Waterproofing complaints from the GoPro 7 Black?

A review I read stated it still overheats at 4k60. This will likely remain the case until GoPro's soc is manufactured using a better process (eg. 7nm).

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/gopro-hero-8-black

"My sample lasted for 47 minutes when shooting 4K/60p continuously, with only a few screen interactions before shutting down due to overheating."

The SD card blame game is BS. GoPro shouldn't be marketing their cameras as 4k60 if you can't use them to record a baseball game, for example.
Highlighted
Nomad

The GoPro is an action camera designed to capture action.  Recording an entire baseball game using a Fish eye lense is hardly the definition of action.  It's also the wrong camera for the job.

Let's look at the entire quote rather than the small section you posted:

"As before, you can expect 45 minutes (of 4K footage) or 90 minutes (when shooting at 720p) from a charge. My sample lasted for 47 minutes when shooting 4K/60p continuously, with only a few screen interactions before shutting down due to overheating. I then got an extra 11 minutes out of it, but with more screen tapping it would likely have lasted the claimed 45 minutes in total."

Seems that the reviewer is either confused or can't do math.  He claims he got 47 minutes shooting 4K @60FPS.  This would actually be 2 minutes more than the 45 minutes that one can expect.  He then also get 11 extra minutes out of the camera bringing that up to 58 minutes total.  The reviewer also didn't post what conditions he was using the camera in, was it actually "action" or was it a static shot in bright sunshine without any external cooling.  The reviewer also (falsely) claims that there are no ND filters availble for the camera (there is an ND filter option). 

The SD card issue is not BS.  Slow cards can cause an overheating issue, I actually posted quite a lengthy explination as to how this happens and why.  Is it the only cause of the GP7 overheating?  No, I don't think so, I certainly do think there are other factors involved such as types of shooting, environment, batteries being used etc.  The SD card is just usually the 1st thing that needs to be checked as the wrong card will cause overheating issues.  This goes back as far as the GP Hero 2 and it's why people need to pay attention to the specs of the card they use.  This is even more important with the GP7 as it uses an overclocked version of the GP1 chip that was used on the GP6.  

Blaming the camera for every fault is akin to eating a burger and being ill.  Everyone immediately wants to blame the burger but very few will question "Was the lettuce washed?  Was the mayo kept in a fridge or left on a counter?  Did the employee wash their hands?".  

If you have worries or concerns about the GP8, then the best thing you can do is wait until more units are sold and keep reading the reviews to see what the issues are and how they are being handled.  However expecting immediate answers regarding a product that's not even on sale is not going to prove to be productive.

Highlighted
Tourist

Wow. You GoPro fans are worse than Apple fanboys. A camera shouldn't overheat. If it does, there are thermal dissipation issues.
Highlighted
Explorer

@irishmanpdx
But, but, but he said that thing that sounded really smart about the soc and 7nm! Surely the random contributor and other armchair engineers know more than the engineers at GoPro! You need to stop making sense and stating facts! This forum isn't about being helpful and supportive, you need to spend your time here being negative! How else will DJI compete? Clearly not with their inferior cameras!
Highlighted
Explorer

@adeptwater21433
Wow, interesting response to being shown to distort and mislead. It's hard to argue against direct quotes. We can all see what you wrote and what was actually said. Selectively pulling a quote to be deceptive just shows your true character. Thanks.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Love my GoPro.  the New Model is BIGGER, and more waterproof time wil ltell not an owner today, but DJI gopro I am.