Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Halo/blown highlights

[ New ]

Hello all

Used my Hero 8 for the first time at a motorcycle trials event yesterday. It was overcast and in the woods for most of what I filmed. I was using the default Activity setting,and had it mounted to a chest harness. 

The fender on my bike is white, as is the scorecard attached to the left side of my handlebars. If you look at the attached photo, the areas circled in red are not only completely blown out, but also have halos around them. The area circled in blue is also white, but isn't not being affected the same. 

I made sure both the lens and lens protector were completely clean and there was no condensation - I realized I could have dialed the exposure back. The only thing I can think of is the blue circled area on the tank was getting a little more shade from my body, and the other areas were not. 

Is the dynamic range on the 8 really that bad? I know I can pick up an ND filter, and maybe that's the solution. It just seems like the DR should be a bit better, especially since it was not sunny. 

Any thoughts or tips?

thanks

Michael

IMG_0056.jpg

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Halo/blown highlights

[ New ]

Hi @michaelb206

Did you have the exposure on Auto or was it Locked?

You may also try exploring Protune settings.

Here are some links that may come handy:

Advanced Protune Controls Explained

What is Exposure Control?

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Halo/blown highlights

[ New ]

Hi @michaelb206

Did you have the exposure on Auto or was it Locked?

You may also try exploring Protune settings.

Here are some links that may come handy:

Advanced Protune Controls Explained

What is Exposure Control?

Thanks!

Ej