Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

HOPE that you never have to return your camera

I rarely post negative comments, but given the experience that I've had with returning a defective camera, I wanted to post, if for nothing else, to serve as a warning to others before you drop hundreds of dollars on a GoPro device.

I purchased a GoPro Hero 5 Black last year, which I really liked. However, it started presenting distortion on video recordings, so I contacted GoPro support.

The support representative determined that the camera was defective and authorized a return. I sent my camera in and waited for the replacement. When the replacement came, it was in poor physical condition (there were wear marks on the lens cover casing) and it suffered the same recording defect as the camera that was being replaced.

Again, I contacted GoPro support. I sent a picture of the camera, as well as a sample of the video recording defect. Again, the support representative determined that the replacement camera was defective and authorized a return. At this point, because this was a replacement of a replacement, I asked if I could be sent a brand new camera. The support representative stated via email that I would be receiving a brand new camera, although not in retail packaging. This was fine with me; all I wanted was an acceptable replacement camera. I sent the replacement in again and waited for replacement number two.

When I received replacement number two, it was obvious that it was not a new camera. It had wearing on the lens cover casing and the bottom of the camera. Worse than that, though, the front display screen was badly scratched. I contacted support again and sent pictures of the camera, showing the poor physical condition. The support representative actually thought the front display screen was cracked from what he saw in the picture. Again, the support representative authorized another return. And again, I asked if my case could be escalated and if they could guaranty me a brand new replacement camera. They responded via email stating that a brand new camera would be sent as a replacement. I am now waiting for the third, yes third, replacement camera.

I don’t understand how GoPro finds it acceptable to send used cameras as replacements. You spend $400 on a camera, which ends up being defective and instead of being sent a new camera to make up for the fact that your device is defective, you are sent someone else’s used garbage. It would be barely acceptable to receive a refurbished unit (if I didn’t by a refurb, why should I be sent a refurb?), but the two that I have received so far (again, waiting on the third), have been used. For the second and third replacement cameras, I have emails from GoPro support stating that I will be receiving a new camera. That definitely wasn’t the case the with replacement number two. I’m waiting to see if that is the case with replacement number three.

Adventurer

Re: HOPE that you never have to return your camera

Your camera came in a Black protective  plastic container and a card board box.  It is a refurbished uinit not a tore bought unit Lol (not at you. reason why I won't accept the  BS of I got your  audio tested model sitting on my desk ready to ship that was tested by our flag staff engineers. if so where is my file I requested.  

I hear ya what's that saying fool me once, trick me twice...

Tourist

UPDATE:  I received the third replacement camera.  Despite being assured by GoPro support that the third replacement camera would be a new unit, I received yet another used camera.  I am done with GoPro.  I will not purchase any GoPro products ever again as this month long experience to get my originally purchased camera replaced has been handled horribly.  Good luck to anyone who already has a camera.  I hope you never have to return it.

GoPro Community Manager

@nickweed8 - The cameras we send out as replacements are new cameras. They are removed from packaging and tested individually before they go out to assure that the camera has no issues.

If you can reply back with your case number, I'll be glad to get one of our supervisors to dig into your case and see what's going on with it and if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tourist

@jefft thanks for the reply.  I do appreciate soeone looking deeper into the case history.  The cameras that I have received up to this point have definitely not had the appearance of being new or fully tested.  The first replacement camaera that I was sent had the same recording defect as my originally purchased camera, for which I was being sent the replacment.  It also showed significant signs of use (i.e. wear marks).  The second replacement that I was sent was definitely not new.  As I mentioned in my post, it was scratched on the front display panel to the point that the support representative thought it was cracked when he looked at the pictures that I sent.  The most recent replacement (the third one) appears to be in better physical condition than the previous two.  I'm still scepticle that it is a new unit, though, as it too shows signs of use.  If it is, it took three attempts for me to get a new unit.  Here are my case numbers dating back to when I contacted support on October 24th for the recording defect on my original camera.

GoPro Community Manager

Thanks. I will pass this along to our team.
Tourist

@jefft, Just following up to see what the outcome is as a result of your team looking into this.  Thanks.

GoPro Community Manager

@nickweed8 - The agents will follow up with you directly if there's any additional info. I havent heard anything back myself.