Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

HERO9 SD Error - excessive - format needed to fix

[ New ]

I bougth my camera bundle new two weeks ago. Before using I have camera-formatted both the supplied 64GB SanDisk Extreme and an approved 256GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card. I am also using a new GoPro media mod with a new Rode Videomicro. Camera has been updated. Laptop has been updated. 

After filming for about 20-30 minutes, or after shooting around 10 clips, I will get an SD error (both cards) on the camera requiring a format to continue. Thus, losing all my footage if I do. My laptop cannot read the SD card after this error, either, as it requests a format as well. If I re-format, it will happen again. 

Otherwise I have had no isse until today, when it stayed frozen in the powering-off screen - until I pulled the battery an hour later. That could be a fluke, though. 

I have tried every setting imaginable and in every configuration. I believe the camera is faulty. Anyone had similar issues? 

Tourist

Rif.: HERO9 SD Error - excessive - format needed to fix

[ New ]
Anch’io ho lo stesso problema con la sd fornita in omaggio se provo a scattare mi fa errore sd, ne ho messa un altra diversa e non mi fa l’errore, non capisco il perché! Contatterò l’assistenza.
Tourist

Re: HERO9 SD Error - excessive - format needed to fix

[ New ]
Exact same problem with mine. I bought my camera at the end of November and took it on a ski trip where I now have no footage to show. Same issue - purchased an extra SD card from gopro and both were having sd card errors, even after reformatting.
Also, my max lens mod doesn't fit which is well documented from a lot of people. I feel like we might have just been victim of a **bleep**ty batch of cameras maybe? Definitely hope to get an answer... I wont even bitch about losing all my ski footage - I just want to know what is wrong and if it can be fixed asap.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @royalhill15686, @sunnyhero23114, @momotx24. We'd like to gather a few more details as we look further into the issue you're currently experiencing with the camera. Please provide us the following: 

• Camera model and its firmware version installed. 

• MicroSD card brand and capacity. Was it also part of the camera bundle purchase? (disregard if you've already provided this info on your previous post)

When does the SD error occur (i.e. onset, out-of-the-box, after formatting, after 1 video, etc.)? Does it happen on specific video resolution settings or camera modes only? 

If the problem just started to happen recently, we'd like to know any recent changes made or took place (firmware update, SD card brand change, hardware reset, RMA, etc.). 

In addition, have you been able to format the SD card through your GoPro camera? Can it be formatted on a different device or has been formatted prior to use? 

Try formatting the SD card. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.) 

Tourist

[ New ]
Gopro hero 9, compreso c’era una FLASH MEMORY, 64GB, EXTREME MICROSDHC UHS-I, SANDISK, SDSQXA2-064G-GNMNN, quando scatto foto o video fa errore sd, ho provato con un altra sd della sandisk da 32gb e funzionava correttamente, dopo aver scattato delle foto, è uscito fuori di nuovo errore sd ci chiedeva di formattare la scheda. Comunque oggi ho chiamato gopro e mi ha detto di chiedere la sostituzione a sandisk della scheda sd. Ciò non toglie che domani mattina richiamerò e se non risolvo mando tutto indietro.
Tourist

[ New ]

Is this really all support is? Bull**bleep** automated responses and people who don't actually read your original post? 

Great. Hopefully I can sell this junk on eBay and buy a better camera. Thanks for nothing.