Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

HERO8 wont record when on external power. Unit getting hot overall.

[ New ]

My hero8 which is brand new will connect to external power with the battery in place and show that it is connected when not recordering.

As soon as you hit record, the external power disconnects and it will then run on the battery. not ideal. 

Also the unit is getting fairly warm when running at room temperature. Ive been using 1080 30fps.

I have updated the GoPro to the latest software.

Could my SD card be a problem? I am using the Lexar 128GB 95 MB/s microSDXC Class 10. 

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: HERO8 wont record when on external power. Unit getting hot overall.

[ New ]

Adventurer

[ New ]

how gopro is. they don;t show a electrical bolt when  on external while charging.

I feel gopro external chargers are coming for the hero 8 as you may need that extra power to use  certain umknown fetures.

Sightseer

[ New ]

thank you for the response. I should have mentioned in my post, that my gopro will turn off when I pull the battery out, and will not turn on with the battery out and on external power. 

EDIT: Ok apparently you have to be recording to pull out the battery and have it stay on and still record. I think im up to speed on this Lol. thanks for the help

Adventurer

[ New ]

Powerbank.  No bat in the camera will   turn on  with QC (quickCapture) and Mode On, if powerbank is removed 50/50 chance the file will repair.  you will not be able to record if power is lost.

GoPro bat inside, and Powerbank, you can  record, then simply remove and exchange bats during. you will not  cause issues   this way.

the  battery indicator will be Green for Power, and  while charging a lightning bolt.  when recording the  lightning bolt is not displayed (confuses people)

glad  we  were helpful.  

Average record time on a gopro bat is 1 hour. give or take with features  toned down.