Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

HERO8 versus HERO5/6/7 a quick video comparison

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: HERO8 versus HERO5/6/7 a quick video comparison

Interesting comparison.  I would say that unsurprisingly the 8 is better in all areas ( by various margins, not all night and day differences ) , however in good light and depending on the image content some of the previous generations still had a good image.

The real difference was the detail in the grass and the image stabilisation,  which when you see lesser stabilised video makes you realise how important this is.

Highlighted
Nomad

Hero8 improvement in low light is especially impressive!

PS: About split, why 6785 and not 5678 ??
Highlighted
Explorer

Originally I had it in order, 5/6/7/8 but I figured most people (including myself) would be most interested in the HERO7/8 comparison. When the 8 was on the far right corner the focus became in the HERO6/7. Having the HERO5 on the right and 7 on the left of the HERO8 did a better job of showing how far the HERO8 has come since the 5 and the incremental improvement from the 7.

On these days I actually had the HERO2/3/3+/4/5/6/7/8 all on the same board. I did individual comparisons (HD HERO2 vs HERO8, HERO3 vs HERO8.... Up the HERO4 vs HERO8) and put them on YouTube first. I still plan on doing just H5 vs H8, H6 vs H8, H7 vs H8 as 1:1 side by side but work has made getting this done hard to do (time constraints). So, I figured getting all four up at once was an efficient way to get it done for now
Highlighted
Nomad

Ok.

What about your settings? Any post-prod correction? File type?

I guess you want to show the better of each model, however, HEVC is more effective and makes picture better, so AVC footages are necessary to strictly compare "hardware" improvements. Also, picture details quality needs to be compared on same frame type (keyframe (i), P-frame, B-frame) for each footage, otherwise it's slightly biased. Just imho.
Highlighted
Explorer

I'm not biased to any one over the other. I own them all. The HERO6/7/8 are all HEVC because that's what the camera uses. HERO5 doesn't have HEVC. I announced the settings at beginning of the video. All are 4K/30fps except HERO5 which is 2.7K so stabilization could be utilized. I made the video for myself so I could see the differences, not to promote one over the other. I knew others might want to see it to make a decision on whether or not to upgrade, so that's why I narrate the way I do. The ending, evening shot, was done on a different day. As far as the edit/render, it's in the video description.
Highlighted
Nomad

No problem, sorry.

I watched the video without sound. And in "biased" i didn't mean "biased towards", but just "not equitable".

Highlighted
Explorer

I understand. I tried to keep all of the settings as close as possible but there are variations due to the cameras not all having the same features.

What GoPro(s) do you have @sylkgx ?