Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

HERO8 nonresponsive after 1.6 update

Hi all,

I am not sure what happened after this update.  I ran the update from the app.  After getting to 100%, the app stayed at the updating swirl for like 20 minutes.  The camera seemed to be running fine.  I decided to try powering off the camera to retry the update. 

When I powered the camera back on, it gave me a blinking red light on the back but was otherwise unresponsive.  Looking online there was a suggestion to remove the battery and then try again.  After removing the battery and putting it back in, the camera is basically completely unresponsive.  The only thing it does is to show what I think is the update icon on the front (arrow pointing downwards over a gopro icon with "1/2" underneath.  What does this icon mean?

Any suggestions? 

Thank you,

Richard

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: HERO8 nonresponsive after 1.6 update

Hi @royalexper8858

The update has not completed successfully.

It will be best to proceed with a manual update.

Please refer to https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black

Make sure to format the SD card before saving the update folder.

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hmm...I've actually tried the manual update.  As I noted before, the camera doesn't seem to do anything other than display the icon on the front with the "1/2".  What should I see the camera do with a manual update?  I would expect the rear screen to come on or the indicator light to flash or something.

Thank you.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @royalexper8858

It should start with 1/2 then 2/2 to indicate that the camera is updating.

What SD card are you using?

Try to remove the battery and the SD card.

Fully format the SD card then save the Update folder again.

On your camera, try powering it on without the SD card.

See if it will still be stuck at 1/2.

If not turn the camera off, re-insert the SD card then turn the camera back on.

Make sure that the battery is at least 40% charged.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

I ended up chatting with support for about an hour.  Nothing we tried worked.  They issued an RMA.  

While trying a few things afterwards, I found a post which mentioned trying to start the camera without any SD card (we had tried removing both the battery and SD card multiple times, reformatted the card, etc.).  With the SD card removed, the camera finally did something different (the arrow in the front icon moved rather than being stationary and the rear display actually powered on).  I then put the SD card back in.  On power up, it acted completely normal and lists 1.6 as the software version.  I have no idea why it was so stuck.

In any case, it now works.  Yay!

Highlighted
GoPro

@royalexper8858, thanks for posting back with an update. Feel free to post back if anything else comes up. Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!