Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

HERO8 Showing up as Unspecified/ MTP USB Device on my computer, but works fine on another computer

Hi, I plug in HERO8 Black with latest firmware using a Sandisk SDSQXA1-128GB-GN6MA into my Windows 10 PC (tried plugging into all working USB ports on my new computer) using stock USB cord + alternate cord and the device constantly shows up as "Unspecified" under Devices and Printers, and as MTP USB Device under Device Manager. I tried unplugging, updating driver, restarting device, removing SD card, removing battery, restarting computer, etc... All other USB devices always worked fine on my computer.

I then tried it on my mom's laptop (which happens to be a windows 8) and it worked fine, plug n play. 

So I think there maybe a software issue on my computer? I'm trying to view and edit my files by offloading them via USB. Thanks in advance. 

Untitled-1.jpg
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: HERO8 Showing up as Unspecified/ MTP USB Device on my computer, but works fine on another comput

I have completely the same problem.  I tried everything. It says device setup is stil in progress but thats it...

But if i plug the sd card in the card reader it works normally. 

Annotation 2019-11-01 230828.png
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: HERO8 Showing up as Unspecified/ MTP USB Device on my computer, but works fine on another comput

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you, I will try doing what the guys in the other thread wrote. For now I'm using a SanDisk MobileMate to get the files onto my computer and it works well. I have to remove the SD card each time. No big deal but annoying. Anyway I should have a new laptop coming in this week, so I will be able to see if this problem exists on that computer (it will also be Windows 10, but a different mobo).

FWIW my computer is using a Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming mobo right now which has worked great with every device other than the GoPro 8. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I also am experiencing exactly the same issues with a brand new windows 10 64bit laptop...plenty of power! Frustrating! Any luck with the new computer?
Highlighted
Sightseer

From the problems myself and other people are having on new Windows 10 systems it appears ro be an issue on UEFI enabled systems.  Although my Hero4 Silver connects to either Win 10 system my new Hero8 will not connect to GoPro Quick on the system with UEFI enabled.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have also experince this problem with my goPro HERO7 on windows 10 with UEFI mode on and have resorted to emulating windows 7 or using my mac to download my footage.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have the same problems. Windows 8.1 and show the same. I can not download photos or videos... 

Solutions?