Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: HERO8 Firmware 1.60 - Robotic Jerky Pans

[ New ]

One last comment on this. If GoPro expects some of us to use ReelSteady in post, we need the option, in the camera, to disable chaptering so that we can avoid this end frame issue.

Nomad

[ New ]

We don't need it - obviously only you have the problem! I use the full version of ReelSteady and have already stabilized several chapters in ReelSteady and then seamlessly joined them together in an editing program. It is clear that the TEST VERSION doesn't do that!
You can find a free version of an editing program with which you can combine such chapters into a film at:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/at/products/davinciresolve/

Nomad

[ New ]

Another thing: da Vinci is definitely not a video editing program for beginners!
But for the cut alone, or the merging of GoPro chapters, the function can also be understood for beginners ...
Import chapter by chapter and string them together in the timeline. Then create the video with "Quick Export" (created as MOV file), done.
If you want to do more, you will not be able to avoid a paid version of a video editing program!

With ReelSteady you can crop the chapters - you should NOT do that, because then they cannot be seamlessly joined together.
So import MP4, do not set anything else! To save! This is the easiest way without changing anything.

But that's not an issue! It is about that the Hypersmooth in the Hero8 has the described "curve error" that has to be fixed! Everything else is just a workaround at our expense!

Hiker

[ New ]

oliverz513,

This is not about a person's ability to join clips together in post in Premier, FCPX, da Vinci, After effects, etc. Any five year old can join clips together. This is about the ability to seamlessly join clips together in post after having been stabilized by RealSteady due to "the last second of every video does not contain any gyro data in the file"

From the developers of ReelSteady, in quotes:

"The issue of split files is difficult to solve because the last second of every video does not contain any gyro data in the file, so we can't stabilize that last second very well.

What I have done in the past, which is a little time consuming, is to take the two clips into After Effects and use the "corner pin" effect to keyframe things so that the features in the image are aligned during the transition and hopefully no one will notice a "pop".  I know that's not ideal but that's the best solution i've found to this difficult problem."

As you can see, it's not just me having this issue. The develpers of ReelSteady have this issue too, in the full version.

If you are such a lengendary video editor and can get around the "the last second of every video does not contain any gyro data in the file", then good for you, congrats, move on, this information is not for you.

However, if you're like me and the ReelSteady developers who are coming up against this issue, then I hope this information was useful. Considering some people are being urged to stabilize in post, and there is this issue with joining post stabilized files due to "the last second of every video does not contain any gyro data in the file" GoPro could help out by giving us to disable chaptering, in the camera.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@droogles 

Members also complained about RocksteadyL that it has these issues with FW 1.09.00.10 as ell FW 1.08.00.10, as well FW 1.07.00.10. and yes FW 1.06.00.10, they al lwant to revert back to FW 1.05.00.10:

The camera is Awesome at half the price but gopro has a easier  interface if asked the manual controls are better but .  every time i pick up my OA  say man no issues today. I pick up my gopro hero 8 what now.   GoPro wants you to use  a software on top of camera EIS, good luck on that one!!!!!

can not lead a horse to ... forget the old saying no one is   old here they are all now not knowing what they got.

Tourist

[ New ]

Im doing hard to read between the lines. I see the threads on the DJI forum and currently I'm considering dropping the Hero 8 for something else. Either a Osmo or a Hero 7 - but I somehow refuse to spend more money at GoPro.

After reading all those issues, and especially this thread, I'm quite pissed that the expensive flagship seems to perform worse than the previous model,

In the meantime I found similiar reports to my specific usecase (GoPro on a fixed Wing) where other pilots report the same issue "rubbish stabilization with Hero 8". Hero 7 works as good as the Osmo, the hall is...

But I also find footage of Hero 8 working good enough, guess on fw 1.50. 

So, is there a way to get and test previous firmwares? How is DJI handling this @fishycomics ?

interesting that they dont list the Osmo on the download section tho.

Hiker

[ New ]

Here's the DJI Osmo Action footage I recorded as a comparison, for those who are thinking about that purchase: https://youtu.be/XiUUCj45WNQ

I personally find the results of the Osmo better than the GoPro 8. I will still follow through on the support case and try my best to get the stabilization issue addressed.

A road trip starting out from Raleigh, North Carolina, taking in Jordan Lake, New Hope Valley and the surrounding areas. The weather was perfect for this sce...
Backpacker

[ New ]

just for the record.

today 37min continuous filming in the car, 2.7K@50fps, W, boost, high bitrate - no issues.

have a good one,

robert