Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

HERO8 Firmware 1.60 - Robotic Jerky Pans

[ New ]

Settings:

Res/fps: 4k 60

Lens: linear

Stabilization: hypersmooth on

Low light: off

Bitrate: high

Shutter: auto

EV Comp" 0

WB: 5500k

ISO min: 100

ISO max: 400

Color: native

Sharpness: medium

Version:

01.60 (latest)

Setup:

Outside car mount: fat gecko triple mount. Very securely mounted. 

Card:

Sandisk Extreme Plus 128

Application:

I use the HERO8 to record driving.

Issue:

Robitic / jerky pans as seen here: youtu.be/Z9ZK6sC4EPM

Troubleshooting:

• Updated the firmware through the phone and manually.
  • Formatted the card before recording
  • I thought that may homemade dampener was causing this issue. Tried recording with or without the dampener I made.
  • Tried different mounts, both rigid and loose.
  • Changing ISO settings to have low or high max.
  • Manually set sshutter speed to double rule.

I posted about this last week here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Gopro-HERO-8-Robot-Type-Movements-in-Footage/m-p/632711#/M150...

However after a few more recording sessions the robotic / jerky footage is back even without the dampener. The behavior happens intermittently and I don't see any pattern to it. It's happened in both evening and daytime lighting even though the camera settings are the same each time I film. It's also NOT happened in both evening and daytime lighting even though the camera settings are the same each time I film.

I've been reading on here and can see that many others have this issue. Some say that all cameras with EIS have this issue and others disagree. I am in the camp that disagrees because I own the Panasonic GH5, GH5S, Sony A6600, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone XS Max and the Olympus EM5 Mark III. None of these cameras have this issue. Additionally, several of my recordings with the HERO8 DO NOT HAVE THE ISSUE, even though my settings never changed. For example: https://youtu.be/sCnUGYzmCOs . It's hard to defend your stance that all cameras with EIS have this issue and it's normal, when the HERO8 itself is not exhibiting the issue right here in front of your eyes. 

Based on al lthe data I have collected, both from what others have written on here and from my own experience, the issue is caused slow pans and the EIS not being able to deal with it. This does in fact seem to be the case, however, why does it happen only sometimes? I just don't see any patterns for why it happens sometimes and not others. 

I've spent way too much money of this, buying Media Mods, etc. I would love to make this thing work rather than sending the camera back, but if I can't make it work, these horrible pans are unusable.

I will upload the new 1 hour video I made today once it's up on YouTube. It's complete junk footage.

I will reach out to GoPro support in the morning and complain like everyone else has been doing.

If anyone knows of a solution let me know.

A relaxing drive from Crabtree Valley Mall to Downtown Raleigh and surrounding areas. I crisscrossed my way over to Historic Oakwood, then to Cameron Village...
Hiker

Re: HERO8 Firmware 1.60 - Robotic Jerky Pans

[ New ]

A quick clarification. When I say the issue happens sometimes and not others, what I mean is per recording. I record 1+ hour drives. When the issue happens it happens throughout the entire recording, for the entire hour, almost every turn. When it doesn't happen it doesn't happen throughout the entire recording, not once.

Nomad

[ New ]

Even if you don't like it, the simplest and always working solution is:
Recording WITHOUT image stabilization and then stabilize with ReelSteady ....

This is not a solution, but at least it would not destroy your footage!

Whether GoPro does something here is rather questionable ... With Labs Firmware 1.7, the collaboration with Reelsteady has been improved - but the problem remains! And whether the support understood (wants to understand) the problem?

Hiker

[ New ]

Yeah, turning off the hypersmooth is definitely not a solution. I tried that and the fottage is less usable than the pan issue footage. I'm talking to support and they want to send a new camera, which I doubt will help.

I was reading about that acquisition, When is 1.70 due out? Do you know?

Hiker

[ New ]
Case reference number is 08015794
Hiker

[ New ]

I switched out my camera for a new / different HERO8 and the pan issue still exists for the settings above. I was not able to reproduce the issue if I changed one setting, the 60fps to 30fps. I can't stand 30fps though, too much blur for driving videos and I bought the camerea for the 4K 60, so this is not acceptable. GoPro needs to fix this issue.

Nomad

[ New ]

As already written - Stabilize Hypersmooth OFF and then RETROSPECT with ReelSteady (https://www.reelsteady.com/) - ONLY that gives a usable result!
There are already several entries on this topic here in the forum, which is why I chatted with the support ... 0815 Wischiwaschi ... manual update, factory reset bla bla ... wrong SD card ... in the end, one has opted for excuse my experience and you want to pass it on to the team ...

Because of firmware 1.7 - see: https://gopro.com/de/at/news/gopro-labs-launch 

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah, they take your money and run. I do have the option to just return the camera BUT there are no other action cameras that I’m aware of that shoot 4K 60 rectilinear that come close to the stabilization that GoPro has that also have audio input, hdmi and usb charging ports. If there was another option I would just ditch GoPro. As soon as someone else creates the camera that meets my needs and works, they’ve lost a customer.

BTW. As I mentioned above, I have many other expensive cameras that don’t have any issues with panning while EIS is on. It’s just that they don’t remove the micro jitters like the GoPro does AND are too expensive to be strapped to a car roof IMO.