Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

HERO7 STABILIZATION hypersmooth is not smooth at all especially in hand held

I bought yesterday this "hypersmooth" go pro 7. However  upon testing it for stabilization, the footage is somehow comparable to Hero6.

Is it a firmware issue? i am at 1.51 fimrware version. Is this need firmware update to improve. Go Pro isnt telling the truth about the reviews. Of course their marketing is so much cool than it looks like on the actual. every step that i made can feel and see on the  videos. and i would like to know if this can be improved. i used to hike with a hand held cam and supposedly the video should be smooth. Please help if this is a go pro issue or myself.

i used 2.7k 60 fps 16:9 1.51 firmware version wide POV. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: HERO7 STABILIZATION hypersmooth is not smooth at all especially in hand held

Hello @yeleiron

Thank you for the feedback. How did you update your camera firmware? If you have not done it manually, please re-update firmware by manual process. This ensures that any possible error associated with the current installation will be cleared out. You can follow instructions below as guide: 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Make sure that the camera is at least 50% charged and that the SD card is formatted prior to the update process. Let us know how it stabilization fare after the update. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: HERO7 STABILIZATION hypersmooth is not smooth at all especially in hand held

my firmware is 1.51 and updated it via wifi connected to phone. if i will do it manually, should i do it in the go pro app? 

is there any firmware update incoming to improve the stabilization? 

Highlighted
Tourist

i am currently using my pc/laptop now, can i update through here? or i need wifi for my phone to connect?

thats the first method i used of updating. connect cp wifi then download and update the go pro.

Highlighted
GoPro

Glad to hear back from you, @yeleiron . You can follow the steps that I posted above. You will need your camera, and SD card adapter, the SD card in your camera and access to a computer. 

You will need to download the update files/folder from the website to your computer, extract the needed UPDATE folder, and save the update folder to your SD card, put SD card back to the camera while camera is off. The steps I provided in my earlier post will guide you through the process. Feel free to post back should you have questions or concerns. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

I am having same issue Marius.

I followed your instructions to download update onto SD card and copied files to root of formatted SD and inserted into gopro 7, turned on per instructions and it did not automatically perform update. Battery was 100%. Tried with different newly formatted SD card and got same thing, no update would occur when powered on with a SD card containing update files.

Do you think because it has latest version (01.51) already on camera it doesn't think it needs to do the update? Should we downgrade first?

The hypersmooth stabliziation I'm getting with my 7 is definitely not as good as I'm seeing on the web reviews. 

Any other suggestions to performing the update manually? 

Highlighted
Tourist

well please help first richieb808 since we have the same issue.

Highlighted
Tourist

I manually updated mine after already doing the update wirelessly using the Karma system since my camera screen went all black with sparkles all over it. I ended up pulling the battery then reinserting it, where the camera worked fine afterwards. I ended up using it without manually updating it the next day and it worked flawlessly. To be safe, I manually updated it yesterday and noticed that my issues with battery drain seemed to disappear, but I won't be 100% sure about that until put it to actual use this weekend.

IMG_2580.JPG.

I simply downloaded the firmware from https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black, opened the zip file after it finished downloaded, transfered the entire unzipped folder that held the update files to my microSD, then inserted the microSD back into the GoPro. From there, it updated automatically.