Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: HERO7 STABILIZATION hypersmooth is not smooth at all especially in hand held

Again you're right Jay-ell.

But having to use the same mitigation filming techniques as what I used for the G5 is not what I had expected with "gimbal-like" written on the box. Plus Nick W claimed "Gimbal killer" in some interview I saw him on I think.

So looks like for my application and conditions I may still end up being forced to buy stock in a 3 axis gimbal (like dji G6) to use my gimbal killer G7 with.

And you're right I had high hopes based on the many youtube reviews, but it appears they were lucky or delibrately used it in favorable ways and under less demanding situations than I.

However, I have being using the timewarp a lot though and finding that a blast to use.

Anyways, thanks again for your insights and I'm off to practise my shake mitigiation techniques on my new gimabl killer G7, haha!

Aloha!

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: HERO7 STABILIZATION hypersmooth is not smooth at all especially in hand held

In truly IS a gimbal killer for right there action activies .    So often a gimbal cannot be say head mounted or go down a water slide?  

Top pro DSLRs such as Nikon, Canon etc come with sophisticated stabilization options.    

But they are used on gimbals all the time, tripods etc. 

They are not often used mounted to surfboards?

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I think with the Hero 7 we might get away with getting just one of those rare wearable 1-axis gimbals, that are way easier to manage than the 3-axis ones which I never liked (and managed to break multiple times). Talking about the expensive Quark 1-axis gimbal or the cheaper china-brothers like the wewow sport gimbals, that only control the roll-axis for a stable horizon. That way i could mount the hero 7 to my backpack and should get stable horizon in all cases which is really the most important part.

However, I agree - "the gimbal is dead" was mentioned by official GoPro-representatives for instance in the casey neistat hero 7-video. And from my limited time with the Hero 7 (just got it yesterday) i can see a definitive improvement but definitely not a gimbal-smooth-motion. 

Highlighted
Nomad

From GoPro's very excellent Abe Kislevitz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wKOPlUaBe0

Watch this several times.   Ponder the activity and mounts used.  

I compare as many applications as I can find in this HyperSmooth test. First against no stabilization, second against HERO6 stabilization. Check it out and l...
Highlighted
Nomad

Some more..watch several times, post a comment there.   Comment here too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1eA3DWpgpQ

In an effort to upload more content, I'm throwing up some not so polished work! Here's a quick comparison between no stabilization, HyperSmooth, and Fusion o...
Highlighted
Hiker

Those are great demo and comparison vids.  One will notice though that none of the activities are walking.  

My suspicion is that the movements the camera experiences while walking are sometimes a little too slow to be interpretted as shakiness and are instead read as your actual desire to move the camera around.  That and I still want to know if the folks having issues are filming in low light conditions or not.   They'll say they can see every step, but are not explaining exactly what that means.   If you try to use EIS in low light, you'l see motion blur as your heel comes down on every step, while the overall image remains relatively stable. 

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

EIS, particularly Hypersmooth is not for low light. 

Even in the daylight use it with ISO min 100, max 400.   

Versus with earlier gopros min 100 / max 100 was fine outdoors during the day.  

Good overview here (of the camera in general).  http://abekislevitz.com/gopro-hero7-black/

This will require some reading and concentration for several minutes.   ;-)

Remember that these days review are nothing like they used to be.

So it is nice to see an article like that, even if it is from GoPro themselves (in a sense).  

Reviews today of tech products are often just social media impressions or anecdotes.  

Lite and Fluffy, but confusion and wrong impressions / misunderstandings can ensue. 

Highlighted
Nomad

Have u watched many walking gimbal videos?    Footsteps are a tough one.