Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

HERO7 Black failing to update to V1.8 - “There was a problem”

I have 2 Hero 7 Blacks which I’ve tried to update using an iPro Pro (IOS 12.4).

The cameras connect, the software goes through the download (once only) then it pops up a message ‘There was a problem’.

Apart from this message being ridiculous, there is no where to go from here.

There is a message ‘Let’s try that again’ but it’s not an active button and so nothing happens. You have to press ‘Try again later’ to exit this update. Trying again fails as before. I’ve tried to  do the update using an iPhone 8 (IOS 12.4) but same thing. 

While usually a pretty loyal geek with tech - I’ll try all possible avenues before reaching out to these forums - It’s issue like this and the freezes which require battery removal and replacement which makes my support for future GOPro products evaporate very quickly.

Hope the above gets looked into soon - freezes and update fails (let alone very poor update user experience).

Bart
GoPro

Re: HERO7 Black failing to update to V1.8 - “There was a problem”

Sorry to hear about the trouble with updating via GoPro app, @bartc30. A manual update would most certainly help. Please see below for instructions:

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Make sure that the camera is fully charged, and that the SD card is formatted. Remember to save all your files on the SD card to other devices first prior to the update. Let us know how it works out. 

Thanks!

Tourist

Thanks Mariustanya, but that option isn’t open to me as I’m away from home and only have access to IOS devices.

Perhaps IOS V13 might offer the option of a download and copy to an SD card but that’s not available at the moment.

Rather than dismiss the problem, I’d appreciate GoPro responding to two reasonable questions:

1) why doesn’t the non physical media (in this case using IOS)  option work and

2) why, when the operations fails, no meaningful diagnostics are provided or options to reset, attend to the problem and retry the upgrade.

While the camera itself is very clever with its excellent stabilisation, it appears the software upgrade/release crew are letting the side down (apologies the them if the issue are further up the chain).

If the camera continues to freeze and become very hot, I’ll be forced to investigate the competition which seems to be catching up very quickly.

Looking forward to an appropriate solution which. I’m sure others will appreciate.

Bart

GoPro

Hi @bartc30

Were you able to try the manual update?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Yes, I could update manually but not impressed that this process was needed.

GoPro

Thanks @bartc30

We have forwarded this to the team in charge.

Feel free to post back if anything comes up.

Regards,

Ej