Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: HERO6 Black v01.60

#########################

DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE!!!!!!

#########################

I was having the same issues as everyone, split screen, locking up... etc.... installed the update, now i can't even record on 4k

slit screen still happens and when it doesn't happen the entire camera freezes...

i'm using the v30 recomended SD card...

Hiker

I took some photos at low light conditions, looks great now after the update.

Finaly the messy noise is gone, photos look the same or better than on the Hero 5 black, very happy!

Explorer

I did a bunch of low light test with the Hero6 before and after update as well as with my Hero5 Black.  I use default Protune settings with low light turned off.  The video I captured with the Hero6 Black post update at 4K/60 looks better than the same footage shot with my Hero5 Black at 4K/30.  

If anyone is having issues with the Update, the Best way to do it is manually with a USB or SD card reader.  Format the card in the computer (full not quick) and then download the update to your computer.  Extract the UPDATE folder to a folder on your computer and then copy the folder to the SD card.  Eject the SD card and put it into your camera.  Turn the camera on and let the update run until a check mark appears on the front LCD.  Once the update is complete, format the card i

n the camera.

Here are a few snapshots grabbed from the Hero6 4K/60 before and after update as well as the Hero5 Black at 4K/30. Protune settings are default with Low Light turned off.

Hero6 Black Pre-Update 4K/60

Hero6Black60fps4KPreUpdate.jpg

Hero6 Black Post-Update 4K/60

Hero6Black60fps4K.jpg

Hero5 Black Current Update 4K/30

Hero5Black30fps4K.jpg

Tourist

hey Dan,

can you run a test for me, set camera to 4k 30fps superview, protune on... do a few recording tests on it, quickly stopping and starting the camera, for me 1/4 times i get the split screen bug... after 1.6 update
Highlighted
Adventurer

I look at hte phots and see detai, colorand depth, I just did not say which one so ther are  improvements ifasked.  I like  the darkness showing a phot gave it some realistic look then lost detail

Nomad

Whenever I do updates, I reset to defaults right after installing the new firmware. I agree with Daniel and Robert1326, the update really helped the low light issues in Auto or the need to adjust the ISO in protune for beginners.

Explorer

The most important thing to note about the pictures I posted is they are screen grabs taken from video.  The Hero5 is shooting at 30 frames per second which should give decent low light.  The Hero6 is able to capture the same, if not better, at 60 frames per second which should be much darker if not for the improved performance.  It's much more pronounced when watching the video, but you can see the amount of grain (especially around and on blue objects) in the Hero6 prior to the update.  I haven't yet been able to play around with the settings but I anticipate being able to get much better shots with a few adjustments.

Tourist

i'm more conserned about the split screen issue that is still happening.... what is the point of good quality in low light if you can't record it without the split screen issue