Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: HERO6 Black Update! v02.01

[ New ]

try manually to update to last FW again...it's very difficult to understand why it doesn't work ...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

On the video sample that you sent, would you happen to recall whether it was set in 2.7K 4:3? Per product manual for the HERO6 Black camera: "Video Stabilization is available for all resolutions, except 4K60, 4K 4:3, 2.7K120, 2.7K60 4:3, and 1080p240."

Feel free to post back for additional information. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]
Thank you very much everyone for the responses. Problem solved, at least for now. I returned the camera to factory mode and download the firmw 2.1 manually and install it manually. This solved the stabilization problems. Maybe the firmw of the app did not go down well. Thank you
They go some videos as a final test. regards

Anonymous

[ New ]

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Really appreciate you posting back for an update on results. Stay stoked an have fun using your GoPro camera!

Best, 

Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi everyone!

Here are two video examples. Both are 2.7k / 60fps / Superview / Protune on

The first one was taken with 1.6 firmware in the winter:

...and the second one was shot with 2.01 FW just yesterday:

I see huuuuuge difference in details. Winter video is very sharp, branches can be seen in details, etc. And second one is very blurry. Although it has ~66Mbps - is still looks like is was 720p upscaled to 2.7k. Of course, Youtube ruined some datails, but the original is blurred too.

What is the reason? Low light? Enabled Protune? New stabilization? 

Should I switch back to 1.6 to get details or what? 

Explorer

[ New ]

Not necessarily anything to do with the update. Could just be a slower shutter speed. What were your settings? Is Protune just set to the default?

Anonymous

[ New ]
My Hero 6’s stabilization is also cripppled a bit.. the update is awful! Any eta on when the new one arrives?
Adventurer

[ New ]

I am still on FW 1.60 is it and maybe I will update to FW 2.0 I seen  no reason to do it For me, camera works. it may hiccup like all but I see it not being a problem.  I shall try one day and if I donot like it I will REVERT back

Nomad

[ New ]

I reverted back to 1.60 a while back now. 2.01 is unfortauntely not the answer to correcting the stabilisation. It simply reduces the performance during the day and eliminates it completely at night. YES that fixes the jello effect some people were getting but it isn't the answer. I would rather have the option to play with the settings and get the stabilisation looking good (i.e. raise the shutter speed) than have no option but to have it disabled in low light.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I just bought it.. the camera had 1.51 and I liked the stabilization very much! Is it safe to revert? Won’t there be any strange behaviour.. since it’s a downgrade process?
Nomad

[ New ]

The above suggestion is to revert from 2.01 to 1.60 because they ruined the stabilisation.

If you on a previous firmware I would suggest either staying on it (no need to revert), or manually updating to 1.60 as it's widely considered to be the best firmware currently available.

Explorer

[ New ]

Personally, I like v2.01 but understand how some like the stronger stabilization of 1.6.  Low light is much better to me in v2.01 and I hated the jumping/jitter I would sometimes get on 1.6 and felt the EIS at night was a mess. It seemed to me that the punchy colors of 1.5 were more vivid straight out of the box and with the first update.  Some didn't like this, but I actually kinda miss it.  Not to say the GoPro color with the latest update doesn't look good, but it seems like the tones it down a bit to reduce the purple fringing and blue hue noise/grain in low light.

As far as what update to be on, the best options seem to be:

1. Never update (You wont have Karma compatibility, HDR single photos, power on voice command, or support for the GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter)
  2. Update to v1.6 (you need to find this elsewhere from a trusted source) Low light isn't great but can be corrected with low ISO, flat color profile and native or set white balance. Stabilization is very good but can be jumpy and erratic in low light, especially if there are many light sources.
  3. Update to v2.01 Low light is much better. Stabilization is good but not as strong, reduced jumping effect.  EIS shuts off in low light.  HDR is much better and auto corrects user error. Better compatibility with more SD cards. Reduced purple/blue fringing. Reduces blur in low light shots.

If you are on v1.51 you can expect:

1. Random Freezing
  2. Random Split Screen
  3. Poor Low light 
  4. Very good stabilization but jumpy with fast changes in orientation
  5. The added features missing from H6 out of the box (you get these with any update)
Nomad

[ New ]

Good input Dan!

One thing I would say is that on 1.51 and even before that update I never had the issues you mention. Obviously a lot of people did but it's worth running some tests either way!

Basically as Dan said - 2.01 if you want better low light performance and less jello effect in your stabilisation. 1.60 if you want the option to have stabilisation whenever you want and punchier colours. It really is user preference. Try both and see what you prefer!

Tourist

[ New ]

Question is, Where can one find the 1.60 update?

Nomad

[ New ]
Someone posted it here on this thread a while back. I downlodrd it at the time and it's still on my pc. If you can't find it then I'll re-upload it.
Backpacker

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:

1. Never update (You wont have Karma compatibility, HDR single photos, power on voice command, or support for the GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter)

sorry if i read it wrong, are you saying you can't use a Hero 6 on Karma with v2.01? I don't use Karma very often so can't remember if i tried it with the latest software

Tourist

[ New ]

Yea dropbox it if possible. Much appreciated.

Explorer

[ New ]
No, option 1 is to never update the camera and keep it on the stock firmware. The first edition cameras did not come with Karma compatibility until you ran the update (which was released the same day the Hero6 came out).
Explorer

[ New ]
Just FYI: Links to firmware/software not presently being provided by GoPro will get removed by the mods.

It's not with debating the merits of it, just know that it will happen.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Just a quick video I did on v2.01 with HERO 6. Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1FJ3EP-JjA

Not too bad for the stabilization.

Done some testing on a new HERO 6 with it's latest firmware v2.01.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

are there any information about upcoming firmware releases? I found info of Hero 7 release and I'm worrying that Hero 6 will be passed by gopro, like Hero 5 after releasing the 6.

Nomad

[ New ]
GoPro have only released around 3 or 4 updates for the Hero6. It was poorly supported, issues weren't fixed, and to be honest it looks lile they're trying to sweep it under the rug.
Tourist

[ New ]

Horrible attitude I can say.

So how could I trust in gopro to buy a newer cam (again and again) after the poor support of Hero 5 and Hero 6?

Hiker

[ New ]

if actual firmware is ok...why the should release a new version ? 

Explorer

[ New ]
Agreed. I understand that some people still report issues, but I use mine pretty regularly and don't have any problems. There may be another update, but I certainly don't expect one.
Adventurer

[ New ]

I have stayed with fw 1.60 since day one of ownership.  Afraid we will see just one more and that will be the end of this camera.

Nomad

[ New ]
I would say there are still bug issues to improve on the Hero 6, but they almost certainly wont be fixed. Also 1.6 is far better than 2.01 in my opinion for visuals. Both stabilisation and picture is better. But the 2.01 has less bugs so it's a compromise.
Hiker

[ New ]
I stood by with her 2.01 and the truth that he contented pretty.. Even he has some bug but the quality of the video is very good
Adventurer

[ New ]

As long as it works that is what counts.

Sightseer

[ New ]

L'aggiornamento ha peggiorato la stabilizzazione invece di migliorarla e quando si vanno a regolare i settaggi con Protune il tutto e decisamente sfasato specialmente quando c'è poca luce ,il valore iso va a mettere un velo che diminuisce la definizione e i colori dell'immagine.Preferisco rimanere alla versione 1.60 effinchè gopro riconosca i problemi per poi risolverli o meglio migliorarli .

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi @pasqualet5727,

for starters, I hope you made a manual update to 2.01 when you tested it.

1.60 has very aggressive in stabilization.

2.01 made some adjustments, see bellow:

HERO6 Black v02.01

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

• Enhanced low light performance
  • Fixed frame corruption bug in 1080p120 videos
  • Reduced purple/blue fringing in videos
  • Video Stabilization improvements:
    • Enhanced performance to look more natural
    • Upgraded auto exposure to reduce blur in medium and lowlight shots
  • High Dynamic Range (HDR) improvements:
    • Reduced colour distortion
    • Automatically turns off HDR in lowlight conditions to prevent noise
    • Automatically turns off HDR to prevent blur if there’s too much movement in the shot

in low light, stabilization has a very hard task, as the image lack of information (visible details) used in the algorithm.

to me the 2.01 is more ok in stabilization, even in low light. since 2.01, I do not touch PT, even in low light.

but it is a matter of taste, meaning we, each other, are using the camera in different conditions.

if stabilization in 1.60 is more suitable to you, I'm glad.

if I were you, I would not expect major updates in a future 2.x release (if will be...), related to stabilization.

instead, I would test different PT settings for low light, you will find one that suits you better

- colour FLAT

- iso max 800

- fixed Shutter (1/2-1/4 from the fps)

- white balance - native

- etc....

just me,

robert