Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: HERO6 Black Update! v02.01

[ New ]

I am still on FW 1.60 is it and maybe I will update to FW 2.0 I seen  no reason to do it For me, camera works. it may hiccup like all but I see it not being a problem.  I shall try one day and if I donot like it I will REVERT back

Nomad

[ New ]

I reverted back to 1.60 a while back now. 2.01 is unfortauntely not the answer to correcting the stabilisation. It simply reduces the performance during the day and eliminates it completely at night. YES that fixes the jello effect some people were getting but it isn't the answer. I would rather have the option to play with the settings and get the stabilisation looking good (i.e. raise the shutter speed) than have no option but to have it disabled in low light.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I just bought it.. the camera had 1.51 and I liked the stabilization very much! Is it safe to revert? Won’t there be any strange behaviour.. since it’s a downgrade process?
Nomad

[ New ]

The above suggestion is to revert from 2.01 to 1.60 because they ruined the stabilisation.

If you on a previous firmware I would suggest either staying on it (no need to revert), or manually updating to 1.60 as it's widely considered to be the best firmware currently available.

Explorer

[ New ]

Personally, I like v2.01 but understand how some like the stronger stabilization of 1.6.  Low light is much better to me in v2.01 and I hated the jumping/jitter I would sometimes get on 1.6 and felt the EIS at night was a mess. It seemed to me that the punchy colors of 1.5 were more vivid straight out of the box and with the first update.  Some didn't like this, but I actually kinda miss it.  Not to say the GoPro color with the latest update doesn't look good, but it seems like the tones it down a bit to reduce the purple fringing and blue hue noise/grain in low light.

As far as what update to be on, the best options seem to be:

1. Never update (You wont have Karma compatibility, HDR single photos, power on voice command, or support for the GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter)
  2. Update to v1.6 (you need to find this elsewhere from a trusted source) Low light isn't great but can be corrected with low ISO, flat color profile and native or set white balance. Stabilization is very good but can be jumpy and erratic in low light, especially if there are many light sources.
  3. Update to v2.01 Low light is much better. Stabilization is good but not as strong, reduced jumping effect.  EIS shuts off in low light.  HDR is much better and auto corrects user error. Better compatibility with more SD cards. Reduced purple/blue fringing. Reduces blur in low light shots.

If you are on v1.51 you can expect:

1. Random Freezing
  2. Random Split Screen
  3. Poor Low light 
  4. Very good stabilization but jumpy with fast changes in orientation
  5. The added features missing from H6 out of the box (you get these with any update)
Nomad

[ New ]

Good input Dan!

One thing I would say is that on 1.51 and even before that update I never had the issues you mention. Obviously a lot of people did but it's worth running some tests either way!

Basically as Dan said - 2.01 if you want better low light performance and less jello effect in your stabilisation. 1.60 if you want the option to have stabilisation whenever you want and punchier colours. It really is user preference. Try both and see what you prefer!

Tourist

[ New ]

Question is, Where can one find the 1.60 update?

Nomad

[ New ]
Someone posted it here on this thread a while back. I downlodrd it at the time and it's still on my pc. If you can't find it then I'll re-upload it.