Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: HERO6 Black Update! v02.01

[ New ]

Here is my HERO6 in US settings after upgrade to v2.0 with Factory RESET and MicroSD format in the Camera.

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

Nomad

[ New ]

How COOL to see so many of us in HERE doing some REAL Test and Fixing it together GOOD WORK people.

Nomad

Re: bright light stabilization problem

[ New ]

What Computer are you USING to process your footage PC or MAC? and what apps are you using I use ADOBE Premiere Pro CC 2018 as soon I transfer the footage from my folder over the Premiere Pro auto install the CODEC for 4K 60fps so I was able to view it but before I ran the video I have to rendered first otherwise it will be shake and jerky on your screen you need to run PROXY from Premiere with and external SSD solid state drive and I guaranty your videos will looks awesome and also you need to create a SEQUENCE to run 4K. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
I'm using a 2016 MacBook Pro. ive just been viewing them in photos and on my phone through the app.
Hiker

[ New ]

I did some testing well after sunset.

This video shows about the lowest light level for which the stabilization will still work.

To give you an idea, the car had already turned on the automatic headlights.

And this video about 5 minutes later literally shows the moment the camera gives up and switches from stabilization to none, a little past halfway

Anything lighter than that, it works just fine.    

Shows how well the stabilization works with the newest 2.01 firmware update for the Hero 6 Black in medium low light conditions. It's after sunset. The aut...
Hiker

[ New ]

Oh, and if you're working on a PC, generally the best media player out for high bitrate video files and HECV is

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema Edition.  Also known as MPC-HC. 

Even if you're right on the edge in terms of computing and graphics power, you can enable some things like full screen mode with hardware acceleration and it'll usually work pretty well. 

Dunno what a good Mac equivalent is.  Doubt the built in photo/video viewer is though.

Editing HECV files though is generally always pretty painful and you just need more power.

Nomad

[ New ]

Try this setting on your Mac trust me.

Nomad

[ New ]

Anonymous

[ New ]

There has never been such a bad stabilization in hero 6. Not tested? Back to 1.6! The low light really is better, the stabilization is zero at normal light. The new update is one step forward in four steps back. Where can I download the 1.6 update? URL? And 2x was freezing with the new update Sandisck Extreme Pro card. This card has not frozen so far. Hope the next fix is ​​not 3-4 months, up to 1 week. I am a photographer if Canon and Nikon release a new upgrade, it is always better for the camera, there is no backing and no compromise. It's always better. Something is always worse here. Smiley Sad
Why ?!  Sorry google translator. : Smileyhappy:

Nomad

[ New ]
Angyala61144,

You have literally not explained once why it is bad or unstable.

We need to know specifics. If you're saying it doesn't stabilise at all then that's not true based on the videos people have posted.

Is it jerky?
Is it less stabilised?

Give us specifics or your comments are completely pointless.
Nomad

[ New ]

"The low light really is better, the stabilization is zero at normal light."

Well, only in 4K60. Stabilization in 1080-mode seems pretty nice to me.

Anonymous

[ New ]
1080p is also bad, I do not seem to stabilize. 1.6 worked well. I have no more time to test because I'm going to work.

https://youtu.be/y2OdJta4_5U

https://youtu.be/-muz3D53w_M

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

You filmed in low light and uploaded very short clips.  The 4K looks alright.  The 1080 seems to have it's issues due to the low light but seems to correct itself right as you focus out the window.  Stabilization has never been good on the Hero6 in low light and generally shouldn't be used in those situations.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Smiley LOL  In my opinion, that's far from normal light for such a tiny sensor inside an ACTION camera. 

Nomad

[ New ]
@Anonymous

Show us what your footage with stabilisation looks like outdoors.
Nomad

[ New ]

I dont know how anyone can say the stabilisation doesnt work with 2.x It didnt work in 1.6. the roatational jerkyness made it unsable for anything serious, I had to throw away so much footage, I wnt back to a real gimbal. Now they have made the rotational axis more natural it works how it should have in the first place. If you want 100% flat horizons you just have to get a real gimbal.

Well done GoPro for listening to my 100 tweets about this issue. :)

Anonymous

[ New ]

Is it recommended to Factory reset and format the SD card when upgrading? Never done it before and have no issues. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

must admit my Hero 6 seems to be getting confused very easily since the update. I use it as a dash cam, then charge it off the cigeratte lighter while in work ready for the drive home, but since the update it won't turn on for the return journey after unplugging it

Explorer

[ New ]
You don't have to do either. The UPDATE folder needs to be on the root of the SD card and it's generally easier to just do a quick format and then move the UPDATE folder to the card. It's not required though.

When trouble shooting I always recommend resetting the camera and updating on a card that has been formatted (full not quick) as it helps to rule out settings and SD card errors as being a source of the issue.
Nomad

[ New ]
Just updated and the new firmware seems good in terms of stabilisation. Tried 2.7k 50, 1080p 100, and 4k 25. On each setting the jerky movements when turning are all but gone. The level of stabilisation does appear to have been reduced but it's marginal. I can now see my steps a bit more while moving forwards but it's still very good. Low light is massively improved.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Is there a way to download 1.60? Im close to purchase an hero 6 but im pretty sure that i will need to update it, and i DONT want the 2.01 update if it change the stabilizzation. Thanks

Explorer

[ New ]
You don't want 1.60 and unfortunately, you are getting bad info if you're getting the impression that 2.01 is worse.

@quickhero77554 hasn't pulled any punches when it comes to criticizing the Hero6 and unlike some, I trust that he knows quite a bit about filming and cameras.
Nomad

[ New ]
@Anonymous

You are unlikely to see a difference in the stabilisation between the 2 firmwares. It is more aggressive in 1.6 but that's not necessarily a good thing. I have a lot of testing to do on 2.01 but so far seems great overall! The only major difference most have noted with the stabilisation is that it turns itself off in low light (similar to how the Hero5 did), but honestly I did that anyway when I shot in low light because EIS doesn't work well in low light. The guys over at Gopro will be aiming to make the camera better with each firmware update not worse. If you want to buy the camera I would suggest the latest firmware.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Then ..... here is the outdoor shot.
Factory reset and memory card formatting (Sandisk Extreme PRO 64 GB V30, A1). Now 4K 60 fps is no stability. (This if I can not buy a hero) 2.7K 60 fps, 1080p 60 fps is stability, sometimes jumps. 2x freezes at the first frame. Here are the videos. So far, there was 4K 60 fps stability. This is the last hero I bought. Is there only a strong daylight good for stability? I did not know it could only be used on the Sun. Do I move to Hawaii? On my camera the stabilization was GREAT (v1.6)! After this new firmware update, my stabilization was like using the Hero 5 Black. If I had got the hero for free, there would be no problem.

Sorry this is also a google translator. Smiley Wink

1. Freezing 1. Smiley Sad

https://youtu.be/RQx6big1kZg

2. Freezing 2. Smiley Sad

https://youtu.be/K9n6ywtmrT0

3. 4K 60 fps Stabilization 1. Smiley Sad

https://youtu.be/QkGeWH7YfTY

4. 4K 60 fps Stabilization 2. Smiley Sad

https://youtu.be/NETsFf3bDeA

5. 2.7K 60 fps Stabilization Heart

https://youtu.be/lGg0nPGduoI

6. 1080p 60 fps Stabilization Heart

https://youtu.be/9YhICBttamU

I'm testing you next week, now I'm not poisoned. but the 1.6 upgrade was better than the low light. The 1.6 did not frozen with this card. 

Have a nice day everyone! Smiley Wink

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
4K 30fps, Sandisk Extreme PRO 64GB (V30 U3 A1) Factory reset, memory card full format
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
4K 30fps, Sandisk Extreme PRO 64GB (V30 U3 A1) Factory reset, memory card full format
Nomad

[ New ]
You do realise the Hero6 NEVER had stabilisation at 4k 60fps right??
Nomad

[ New ]
Stabilised settings:

4k 30/25/24
2.7k 60/30/24
1080p 120/60/30/24

Not stabilised:

4k 60
2.7k 120
1080p 240

Your camera looks completely fine to me other than freezing issues. Stabilisation appears to be working well.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Why freezing? Smiley Surprised

Then I'm sorry, I've been doing a good job long ago and I did not notice it. Smiley Happy Sorry. Smiley Sad

Nomad

[ New ]
You must have just had a very steady hand before if you thought it was stabilised at 4k 60fps!

I am not sure about the freezing unfortunately. I haven't had that issue on this firmware yet. Doesnt happen at any particular resolution/frame rate? Can you replicate it?
Anonymous

[ New ]
Next week I will test. He does not always do it, but he has done it with the 2.01 upgrade already 5x. :( I'm trying to upgrade with a memory card so far Quik for desktop has done it. 4K 30 fps did the freezing. There were no other resolutions.
Nomad

[ New ]
I will test mine af 4k 30fps tomorrow to see if it happens to me too then.
Nomad

[ New ]

Ok here is the v1.6 Firmware grab it before is gone just upload 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank you alexl8465

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks Alex very useful just in case.

Hiker

[ New ]

angyala61144, did you format the card in the camera or from your PC?  

I find it's best to do it from the camera. 

And just to be clear, your Sandisk card has a U with a 3 inside of it? 

Anonymous

[ New ]
I just formatted the card in the camera. Sandisk Extreme PRO 64 GB (V30, U3, A1). There were no freezes for 2 months. The first card I used was also frozen: first card: Sandisk Extreme 32 GB (A1, V30, U3) but I saw that slow writing 60MB / s. There was also freezing. That's why I bought better and I use it. I put the 32GB in the phone. 1.60 There was no frost Sandisk Extreme PRO 64 GB. 2.01 has been frozen since the update. What is interesting is usually when the camera is in motion and I start recording. The GPS was off, auto rotate on, wi-fi off. I've updated it again in manual mode from sd card. Next week I will test again. Have a nice day.
Hiker

[ New ]

This is my test with FW 2.01 and EIS 

my gopro hero 6 work very well in bad light conditions ( rainy day )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQ0PCGNRqo&feature=youtu.be

4K EIS ON vs 4K EIS OFF

4K EIS ON vs 1080p EIS ON upscaled to 4K

Turning view 180° EIS ON 1080p upscaled to 4K

A little test in bad day light conditions, rendered at low 20Mbit4K EIS ON vs 4K EIS OFF4K EIS ON vs 1080p EIS ON upscaled to 4KTurning view 180° EIS ON 1080...
Nomad

[ New ]

You are Welcome

Nomad

[ New ]

No Problem

Nomad

[ New ]

I'm just doing a TEST back and Forward with v1.6 and v2.0 I will stay with the v1.6 for NOW until the v2.0 become more mature it is too early to put on my HERO6 the reason is the Blue Color Cast is driven me crazy and also when turn the HERO6 upside down the screen REMAIN in that position even you turn the HERO6 back to straight I have to turn the HERO6 off and turn back on to see my screen normal. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Can you post an example with blue color cast issue?
Nomad

[ New ]

GOPR0002.jpg

GOPR0003.jpg

Hiker

[ New ]

1.  The two images in front of the camera are not the same.  The first has a large white window on the screen, which the camera can use to adjust the white balance to make that white, which will take away the natural blue case of the display.   The second does not, so it's a bit confused.

2.  The color temperature of most computer screens are extremely blue.   Film the screen with say white walls behind it, under normal lighting and you'll see what I mean.    

3. Do you normally use your GoPro to film your computer screen?  

Hiker

[ New ]

So I got my Hero 6 with V2.01 firmware up on my FPV plane today to see if they really did address the rotation glitch while stabilizing. 

As far as I can tell, it hasn't change significantly.   It's not worse in any measurable way, but neither is it better.  

It's smooth smooth smooth.. glitch.. as a gust of wind causes rotation beyond the limits of the EIS.

I had high hopes, but I just don't see any difference. 

I'll post up some video later to demonstrate.

I also ran into the same post recording freezing glitch that I've always had with this camera.

After first 25 minute flight (producing two files), I stopped the recording, and shut off normally.

After 2nd 25 minute flight (also producing two files), it beeped only once when I tried to stop recording and froze.   v1.6 did this too.

I can hold power button down for like 10 seconds, and it'll finally give up and shut off.    The recording went to the card fine.

After 3rd flight, same as 2nd.  

A short test recording started and stopped normally.

Another side effect of the freezing is that while the videos are saved to the card normally, they can't be played back on the camera.  As soon as I try to load one, the camera freezes and I have to hold the power button down about 10 seconds and release before it'll give up and turn off (with no tones).    In fact no video recorded after the first one that froze can be played back on the camera.  Videos I recorded earlier still play ok, but even the short test vid after that first frozen one won't play. 

They all work fine on my computer.   Nothing corrupted or lost.  

All this behavior is exactly the same as it was with v1.6.    It's also the same across various different U3 class cards that consistently benchmark at 80-90MB/s write/read. 

Nomad

[ New ]

What are you talking about man are you blind? same place with different Firmware I have to open the folder to copy the other firmware than I retake to picture... Why YOU don't do the TEST before you come here and talk...

I don't even know WHY I need to explain to you, GOPRO doesn't paid me to TEST their products, if you don't like what you see than don't say anything...

If you want to say something JUST CONTRIBUTE to the community with FATCS. 

Hiker

[ New ]

The true display color temperature *is* very blue compared to everything else in your room (it's even bluer than sunlight). 

When you first point your camera at the display, everything on the screen will take on a blue cast, because it is.  

The only way the camera can correct for that is if there's a relatively large area it can identify as something "white". 

In this case, it's the open window in your first image.   It sees that, and adjusts its white balance until that box appears white. 

You don't have an open window in your 2nd image so it has no good way to adjust the white balance, so it retains it's true

blue cast.  

Lemme demonstrate.    Here are two images (this post and the next), taken 5 seconds away from each other. 

I started with the camera pointed elsewhere in the room, and when I first pointed it at the monitor,  it had a blue cast.  I waited a few seconds for the white balance to adjust to the white browser window and hit the shutter again.  Notice it's no longer blue. 

In your case the 2nd image has nothing it can use to adjust, it stays blue.  It's not the firmware's fault.

GOPR4058.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]

Here's the 2nd image.  I changed nothing.  Just waited for it to adjust. 

v1.6 did the same.  Virtually any digital camera will do the same.

GOPR4059.JPG
Explorer

[ New ]

@alexl8465

You can choose to stay on whatever firmware you want.  You do have to explain yourself; however, since you have chosen to come here and post a disputable opinion that may effect other peoples choices.  When you make statements without posting examples, it's natural for people to question it.  When you do post examples that are questionable and misleading, they are going to be refuted.  

The test shots that you have posted are faulty and misleading. Your use of capitalization is absurd.

I think it's great that you contribute to this site, and I hope that this disagreement here wont dissuade you from helping others on different topics.  As far as your post on this topic, HERO6 Black Update! v02.01, I hope you will be able to see how your "test" are faulty and very misleading to those considering an update.

Unfortunately, we have had two post on this thread that are VERY misleading.  One incorrectly attributing poor stabilization to resolutions/frame rates that do not have stabilization capability and one that incorrectly identifies a blue color cast.

To put it in your own words, "If you want to say something JUST CONTRIBUTE to the community with FATCS (sic)."  Just remember, if your "facts" appear to be based on incorrect information, it will be refuted. This isn't to put you down or even to spark an argument, we just want the correct information to be given. 

My opinions are often disputed here and through that, I have learned quite a bit. If my experience is different than what someone else is stating, then I share my disagreement.  I get that you want to share your experience to hopefully help others, and that is great.  However, you need to chill a bit before making statements like, "if you don't like what you see than don't say anything..."

Explorer

[ New ]
So I finally got around to testing the new firmware. It's good. I mean, in my opinion, it is really good! Low light is unbelievable, and no, I did not notice any blue cast or hue to the videos. I don't see much difference in stabilization beside it being much less aggressive in low light. This is a good thing as the jumping that would happen previously made videos unuseable. Now, the low light stabilization has been reduced considerably so the jerky jumping is all but gone. It's still present from time to time, but much less severe. I had become accustom to turning the stabilization off in low light so the camera now doing it for me is a huge plus as it reduces a step I would sometimes forget.

One thing I do want to note though, use a good media player like VLC media player to view your files before jumping to any conclusions. I first played my files through the Quik Desktop app and I was heartbroken. The videos had what appeared to be tears and it was jumping a stuttering....I was so disappointed. I just about to start up a chat with GoPro but thought maybe I should run it through a different media player first. I loaded up VLC and played the files. They all looked great. In short, sometimes it's not the video but the device/software you are playing it back on.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Would be awesome if someone whit two Hero 6 could produce a video whit both cameras but different firmware. That would be a perfect comparison. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

ha ha!

I'm back from vacation....

and I will update right now my hero6....

have a good one!

robert