Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

HERO6 Black Update! v02.01

[ New ]

Make sure to update your HERO6 Black as a new update is available!

HERO6 Black v02.01 | February 27, 2018

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS:

• Enhanced low light performance
  • Fixed frame corruption bug in 1080p120 videos
  • Reduced purple/blue fringing in videos 
  • Video Stabilization improvements:
    • Enhanced performance to look more natural
    • Upgraded auto exposure to reduce blur in medium and lowlight shots
  • High Dynamic Range (HDR) improvements:
    • Reduced color distortion
    • Automatically turns off HDR in lowlight conditions to prevent noise
    • Automatically turns off HDR to prevent blur if there’s too much movement in the shot 

USABILITY IMPROVEMENTS:

• General bug fixes
Nomad

Re: HERO6 Black Update! v02.01

[ New ]
Thank you @GoPro for delivering awesome products to the world and for making sure they're up to date! 🤙🍺🌐💪😎
Anonymous

[ New ]

umm cant seem to access the update online

Tourist

[ New ]

Low light seems much impoved. The image stablization seemed worse though. I'll have to give it a thorough test tomorrow in daylight.

Anonymous

[ New ]

rapidgorge6535 how have you found the pixilation of the image with the new firm ware ?

Tourist

[ New ]

well all I can say at this point from testing it in my basement with artificial low light is that the grainy noise has been significantly reduced, but yeah it almost seems like the image stablization is not working or something. Then again i've only minimally tested it, could be something to do with the low light.

Nomad

[ New ]
I really hope they haven't ruined the stabilisation during the day.

From the reactions it seems that the stabilisation has been reduced which would be a massive bummer when it's one of the highlight features of this camera.

The stabilisation needs to perform as it did during the day but automatically reduce in low light (to stop the jello effect).

Can anyone confirm how it perform in bright daylight with the newest update?

Nomad

[ New ]

Thank you.

To you "backpackers" out there who thought that the Hero6 was perfect in low light and had no blue fringing after the 1.60 firmware update: Shame on you.

Nomad

[ New ]

Updated! :-)

28515179_10215706225869048_6086219228619904502_o.jpg
Explorer

[ New ]
To the "nomads" who were spreading hyperbole and false comments like, "the Hero6 firmware developement has allready been put on the back burner". Shame on you.
Tourist

[ New ]

the fact that gopro keeps us in the dark doesn't help matters. 

Nomad

[ New ]

To bad GoPro used 100 days to fix the still faulty firmware 1.60.

Where can I claim my cents back for being a Hero6 beta user?

It's time GoPro stops rushing products to the market.

There is a saying: It takes 10 per cent of the developement time to make 90 per cent of the firmware complete, but the remaining 90 per cent of the time to adress the last 10 per cent of the bugs.

However Gopro seems satisified by not adressing the bugs until like 6 months after the sales have started thus making their paying customers beta testers.

I sincerely hope this will be improved in the future.

Tourist

[ New ]

I guess the image stablization is pretty ok actully, but don't see a whole lot of improvement

Anonymous

[ New ]

But the FW page says v1.51 right now?? 

https://gopro.com/update/hero6

Nomad

[ New ]
Yeah it does... changed today.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I think this is an issue with description.

During download you can see that file is with 2.01 update

update.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

@ryanv12566 Is there a way to reach the GoPro staff directly? I'm trying to use the GoPro as a 24/7 outdoor beach camera. But am failing miserably. 

Nomad

[ New ]
Can anyone report back yet on the stabilisation in the new update? Is it still as good as it was? Or is it more similar to the Hero5 now?
Anonymous

[ New ]

Low light performance going from 1.60 to 2.01 seems to be a pretty big improvement actually when I compare now. That's great. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Regarding the web page saying 1.51. Yeah it's a typo. 2.01 is what will be pushed to the device. How hard can it be to get that right though...

Explorer

[ New ]
@sweetsand11036
You can reach the GoPro Support Team through the Contact Us tab.

That being said, I don't think these cameras are meant to be used as a 24/7 cam. You'll most likely run into overheating issues and running power to the camera will eliminate the waterproofing. If you put the camera in a waterproof housing and manage to run power to it, then you will have a processor encased in a waterproof camera within a waterproof housing. The heat generated and then trapped will most likely cause the camera to shut down.

There are cameras designed for what you want. Your best route isn't going to be trying to make an action camera function in a way that it wasn't designed. Throw it on a chest mount and run around and have fun on the beach and in the water. That is what this camera is designed for.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Seeing this with my hero 6 after update

before update device default mode is looping set for 5 min

after update default mode is set to looping set for MAX change it to 5 min then turn off device its back to MAX.

Was on chat for 2 hrs with them no fix.

Nomad

[ New ]

Stabilization seems ok to me. Gimal like. I mostly use the Grip.

Shot with 2.01 firmware, linear mode, wrist strap mount.

https://youtu.be/EnErRFTm09w

Hiker

[ New ]

Ok, that looks a lot better than what I was getting while testing at home last night, so I guess it's reducing or eliminating stabilization in lower light conditions to avoid the weird motion blur effect that causes. 

It better adjust on the fly though.   Not uncommon to start recording in a low light situation (indoors to outdoors, or just with lens obstructed) to outdoors).

Tourist

[ New ]
@daemn42

Yeah that sounds likely. How great would it be if gopro could actually like you know, go into a little detail about these things. Tired of being left to speculate on these things.
Nomad

[ New ]

Well People I was running a couple of TEST with the New Firmware and let me tell you is SUCKS "In Low Light with 4K 60fps the footage looks is the worst and ugly thing I have ever seen my iphone X looks 200% better I haven't try it yet on day light outdoor maybe look better. I need someone try same test to see if experience the same issue.

P.S One more thing the Blue Color Cast is driving me crazy... Not even my DSLR Camera with interchangeble lens the video is noiseless and super detail.  

COME ON GOPRO don't just code the Firmware in a hurry, just to CALM the croud down IF YOU DO IT, DO IT WELL.  

Anonymous

[ New ]

Must be a plot to get eveyone to dump the GP6 and buy the next model.......starting to look like leave the camera on v01.6

Explorer

[ New ]
Why would you use 60fps in low light?
Hiker

[ New ]

Ya, the only thing the camera can do at 60fps in low light, is crank the ISO up which will increase visible noise. 

Try turning on Protune, limit max ISO to 1600, and film at 4K@30fps or even 24fps. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Eine einfache Frage:

Laden die Gopro-Akkus von Amperex jetzt, mit der neuen Software, bis 100% und schaltet sich die rote LED nach dem Aufladen des Akkus jetzt immer aus? 

Nach vielen Austauschen funktioniert dies bei mir nämlich immer noch nicht. Kamera 5x getauscht, 6 Akkus vorhanden, keiner hat bisher bis 100% geladen. Ich habe gehört, dass die Samsung Akkus korrekt aufladen. Nur sind diese zu **bleep**, so dass sich im warmen Zustand die kleine Lasche zum Herausziehen löst. Also bleibe ich bei den Amperex Akkus. Ich erwarte allerdings von GoPro, dass auch diese Akkus auch korrekt geladen werden, denn sie werden von GoPro als Originalteile vertrieben...!

Nomad

[ New ]

Because I’m testing the NEW so call Firmware V2.01 and to see how far I can push the hero6 to use slow Motion in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018 and it’s supported the 4K 60fps the footage was smooth after transfer over in Post

Production was very ugly its show everything the color blue cast and the noises all over I use ISO 800 Protune was ON the last firmware before this one was way better I think I have to roll back into the old version.

Explorer

[ New ]

It's not so called firmware, it is firmware. Whether you like it or not does not change what it is.  Using 60fps in low light doesn't really tell you anything other than it's not a good idea, which will always be true considering the small sensor and the restriction higher fps puts on the shutter.  Knowing the appropriate settings for the given environment is a must for getting the best results. 

A fps of 24 or 30 allows the shutter to stay open for 1/24th or 1/30th of a second per frame.  Using 60 fps cuts the exposure time in half to 1/60th of a second forcing the camera to use higher ISO.  The higher the ISO, the worse the picture will look. Additionally, the faster shutter, and therefore shorter exposure time, reduces the amount of information to the camera and the amount of time it has to make proper adjustments.  Less information and less time to process it will generally result in less than optimal quality. 

You can give the best camera in the world to someone who doesn't understand how to use it and get terrible results. Likewise, I'm sure if you gave the best photographer in the world a sub par camera they could come out with fantastic results. Sometimes it's not so much the camera as it is the user that determines how good the results are.

Highlighted
Nomad

[ New ]
Does the update significantly improve daytime shooting?

I am going skiing on sunday and want to get the best footage possible.

Currently 1.6 works great for me but sometimes a little grainy during darker shots.

Is it worth the risk of updating or doing it after?
Nomad

[ New ]

They have fixed the rotation jerks with the stabilisation. This was much needed as until this was fixed, footage was almost unusabe if used handheld. Now it has a more natural feel to the rotataional movements. the other axis are the same as before. Looks to be exactly what was required.

They have also fixed the One button recording audio issue when using the external adapter.

They havent fixed data ability via the audio adapter (at least on the MAC), you have to remove the adapter and use the normal port.

Tourist

[ New ]

in low light hand held footage is complete trash for my camera at least.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Low light is greatly improved, but seems like I cannot enable auto low light mode. I tried every resolution/fps combination. It just says low light is not supported in 240/30.. even though I record in 60fps.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Do you have Portune turned on, if you switch it off low light mode will turn on.

Anonymous

[ New ]

The all around picture is improved, and the low light is much better, but man...the stailization is unusable. absolutely awful. I tested this in an extremely well lit environment outside and its terrible..

Nomad

[ New ]
Sounds like I shouldn't update until after my ski trip then. I want silky smooth footage. If the stabilisation is ruined then the update is useless to me.. :/
Anonymous

[ New ]

I wouldnt update. I'm really wishing I didnt. The stabiliization is pretty unusable on this firmware. 

Nomad

[ New ]
Can you elaborate?

Why is it unusable?
Nomad

[ New ]

I once again got my mail, it was pretty dark outside with a few street lights making all the illumination. As ISO was MAX 800 the video got pretty dark. There seems to ba lot of shake as well. Not surprising as the electronic stabilizer can't correct images with blur.

https://youtu.be/e3t-XyCrTls

Shoot with Hero6 and wrist strap mount. Linear mode. 1080/25. ISO limit max 800 ISO. Scene basically lit only woth a few street lamps.
Nomad

[ New ]

OK here is my final TEST...

1- I reverted the firmware back to v1.6 just to see if any difference between the v2.0, at 4K - 60fps the recording was JERKY using that res. with pro tune ON a bit better than the new Firmware when I transfer the footage onto my MAC the video run very smooth. But the Noise remain the same and the color blue cast a bit better.

2- Install the New FIRMWARE again through the APP from my iPhone.

3- RESET my HERO6 to Factory setting and FORMAT my MicroSD on the Camera nothing else.

4- Shoot a 20 second footage at the same enviroment with 4K 60fps and PROTUNE OFF "Guess What, NOW I LIKE WHAT I SEE" on my computer, the video run very smooth an basically no noise at 4K 60fps LOW LIGHT. Who ever told Blah Blah Blah I don't care because I really TEST my Camera I'm not guessing or reading some where on google.

BEFORE SAY some BLAH BLAH BLAH research with Facts and Test it by your OWN than I believe you.

Good Day 

Anonymous

[ New ]
how did you revert your firmware like that? id love to give this a try
Hiker

[ New ]

For the person having problems with Auto-low-light. 

It only works at  60fps, and all the feature does is automatically drop the frame rate back from 60fps to 30fps in low light conditions to allow a longer shutter speed, letting in more light.   

If you're doing 120/240fps, then it assumes you really want the faster shutter speed to do slow-mo so the feature is disabled.

If you're already at 24/30fps, then it's already running as slow as it can go, so the feature would do nothing so it's disabled.

I'm curious about the person reporting problems with stabilization in bright light.

We've seen video of it working fine outside in daylight.    What did you see?

I just now did a test, where I started recording indoors in a very dark environment, and then

constantly tapped on one corner of the camera to make it shake while I walked around.

If the camera was pointed into a dark area of the room, stabilization was disabled.

In some brighter areas of the house it was on.  I walked outside and stab  was still on, pointed

east, just after sunset.     Seems to stabilize as well as it did before, in the lighter conditions.

I can't yet confirm that the jerk in stabilization during fast rotations is completely gone

but might be better.  I need to get it onto my FPV aircraft to be sure. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Like others here I'm unable to turn on Auto Low Light. I tried both 4K/50, 1080/50 and 720/50 to no avail.

It's not something I would use, but a strange bug non-the-less.

Nomad

[ New ]

UPDATE: Auto Low Light can only be set to ON if ProTune is set to OFF.

Nomad

[ New ]

For the person having problems with Auto-low-light. It only works at  60fps,

Here in PAL land it works for 1080/100 but not for 1080/200.

Nomad

[ New ]

You need to transfer the v1.6 firmware over to your MicroSD card in order to do that

1- Drag the unzip file of the Firmware the UPDATE folder 

2- Eject the MicroSD from your computer

3- Insert the MicroSD back to HERO6 than turn ON your camera 

4- Let the Camera do his own thing and your are all SET.

Good Luck

Anonymous

bright light stabilization problem

[ New ]

when I went outside this morning after the update I did a test recoriding. It was clear sunny skies, great lighting coming off the snow as well. Everything looked fine while recrding, but once I viewed it on my phone and laptop there was a ton of shakiness, frame freezing, and everything was incredibly jumpy. Ive never had an issue like this before. iI the camera is basically still, its fine, but if I walk and film, its incredibly glitchy. even while trying to walk as smoothly and still as possible.