Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

HERO5 Automatically Switching to Photo Mode

I recently started using my very unused GoPro HERO5 as a webcam, since decent web cams have been rather scarce the last few months. I have it connected to my Windows 10 desktop using an Elgato Cam Link 4K, and it is mounted behind my monitor on a tripod. I keep running into an issue where it just automatically switches from the default Video Mode to Photo Mode about 30 minutes into using it. Doesn't matter if I am using Zoom, Google Meet, it always switches all by itself to Photo Mode without ever being touched after turning the camera on.

I keep the camera charged via USB C connection and similatneously use the Micro HDMI output to connect it to the Cam Link. As far as settings go, I keep the camera at 1080P, 60FPS, and set the Field of View to Narrow. Default mode is Video for turning on, QuickCapture is diabled, and all the other random unneeded things like GPS and Video Stablization have been disabled.

Anyone have any idea as to why it just switches over to Photo all by its lonesome after that 30 or so minutes of use? It isn't a huge deal, but is slightly annoying since the 12MP Narrow mode for Photo isn't quite as cropped in and the live output is a more square image than video mode.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: HERO5 Automatically Switching to Photo Mode

Also some additional context, the camera doesn't seem to be overheating either. Or at least it doesn't feel any warmer to the touch after 30 minutes of use than it does after just the first few minutes of being turned on. But could it be possible that the temperature, even if not increasing rapidly is making it switch automatically?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @sethcottle

What version is the camera on?

Have you tried using a different port or cable?

Would you be able to share a picture of how the camera is set up?

Do you observe the same when the camera is on its own? Does it also switch between Photo and Video?

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hey! I'm experienceing the same issue and have the same set up!

Highlighted
Tourist

So I can confirm I'm on the latest version of the HERO5 software, I've now tried two ports, and it seems to NOT switch when not connected to HDMI.

The camera will actually take burst shots of me at random after it has switched over to burst mode from video mode about every 15 mins. The camera is connected to an outlet via USB-c and the hdmi to an Elgato Camlink plugged directly into the computer (tried two different ports now).
Highlighted
Tourist

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @spiryridge47175

Is this only happening when the camera is connected?

Do you observe the same when the camera is on its own?

You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Exactly the same thing happening to me.

GoPro Hero 5 Black with micro HDMI into HDMI/USB Capture card.

USB-C plugged in for power, battery and SD card taken out of device.

Switches to photo mode by itself randomly... sometimes after 30 minutes, other times after 5.