12-18-2017 02:39 PM
This camera is a nightmare, spent hrs with support just getting it paired/connected to current app, now the update fails and they tell me I have to try a Micro USB adapter with USB and connect that via a computer to update... why can't I connect the camera via USB to the computer and do this?!!! Way too much time and effort to get this thing to work. Not intutitive and NOT WORTH the aggravation by this small $ piece of junk!
12-18-2017 03:30 PM - edited 12-18-2017 03:31 PM
I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with that camera. One of the ways to make sure that an update is installed properly is through the manual update process. Its actually pretty easy! Give these steps a try:
1. Reformat your microSD card in the camera with the Delete ALL/Format function in the settings menu. NOTE: Formatting your card will delete any existing data on the card, please ensure that you save any wanted footage prior to doing so.
2. Power off your camera and eject the microSD card. Set your microSD card aside. In the steps outlined below, you'll need to drag a folder from your computer to your microSD card.
3. Visit the HERO4 Update page, then click on the link at the base of the article that reads "Update your camera manually."
4. Enter your camera's 14-character serial number (found on the silver/white sticker in the battery compartment, starting with "C31"), as well as your update registration information.
5. On the following page, click on the blue "DOWNLOAD UPDATE" icon.
6. The update will be generated, select "CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE." An "UPDATE.zip" folder will be downloaded to your computer.
7. Follow the step-by-step instructions (with screenshots) provided on the update page.
Once the update is complete, your camera will prompt you with a completion message.
12-20-2017 12:37 AM
This does NOT WORK either, which is no surprise. How much time wasted and how many hoops does a customer have to go through to get GoPro's products to work? Nothing is consistent.
Another "Update Failed" after several manual update attempts (after hrs. with phone support prior to this). Done via downloads on two different computers. First of all, when the Update.zip file is extracted, there is no UPDATE folder inside of it. Instead, there are three files (two .bin files and one .txt file). So I even created the UPDATE folder and put these files inside of it, copied to reformatted SD card and that still ended with a failure.