Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

HERO3+ Silver Not updating

Hi,

Could someone please help me what to do on my Hero 3+ Silver, I tried to manually update by downloading the files from GoPro's site, and unzipping them, placed the 'UPDATE' folder onto the root of SD card. Then inserted the SD card to the camera, and turn it on, and the update should automatically start. But no updating message, the camera starts up normally. I've already formatted the SD card while inserted to the camera.

I need to reset as well the wifi name and password as password was already forgotten. 

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: HERO3+ Silver Not updating

Hi @jefft,

Thanks! Actually I've already figured it out. 

What I did was, I've downgraded the firmware first. I've downloaded an older version of the software and I followed the steps I mentioned above. It's like updating but to a lower version. And it worked! After i've resetted wifi name and password, I now updated the camera's software to the latest version.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@kebiin - It sounds like you did all the steps. Our team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus may be able to troubleshoot some additional steps with you.

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi @jefft,

Thanks! Actually I've already figured it out. 

What I did was, I've downgraded the firmware first. I've downloaded an older version of the software and I followed the steps I mentioned above. It's like updating but to a lower version. And it worked! After i've resetted wifi name and password, I now updated the camera's software to the latest version.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hey kebiin,

I have exactly the same problem! How did you manage to downgrade you gopro?

Kind regards!

Jakob

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have exactly the same problem! How did you manage to downgrade you gopro also i forgat wifi pasword i already download the update i move it to memory i put it back in the camera i start the camera on but nothing change 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hey Jacob & Fireycave3580

You just need to find a lower version of the firmware. Move it in the SD card and put the SD back to the camera.
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: HERO3+ Silver Not updating No need to install older update

Hi, 

Most all the posts I’ve read are from 2017. However, like me I am sure there are folks that are still struggling in 2018.

After days and many hours trying to make this happen on my own, I listened to my wife and called it in.

The support folks walked me through the hassle free instructions and less than an hour later I finally had my 3S+ back.

#1 solution=call it in. If for some odd reason you can’t or won’t, here you go.

Format your micro sd in your Hero, when done turn off and remove, put card in sd adaptor, put in PC Card slot. Open up the card and create a folder “UPDATE” all uppercase. Close it for now.

Using a laptop or desktop, go to the update page, choose your camera, choose Update Manually , on next page enter in your cameras serial number starting with H3S+########### then your email. Click Agree to Terms, Next Page, choose both update firmware and WiFi.  Next step, fill in camera name, new password. Next Step, Dowload Update to your PC download folder NOT the SD card.

ALSO, No need to go any further on the update page. Close/minimize the browser.  The rest is done on your PC and camera.

Open up your PC download folder. Find Update.zip, right click and choose unzip to download/update.

Open the update folder, you will see 4 files.  NOW move those files to the UPDATE folder on the SD card.

Safely remove card, with the camera off, put micro SD card in camera.

Turn camera on. Camera should flash a number of times and will display that it is updating. Camera will shut itself off, back on. It may do this twice, once for firmware then for WiFi info. 

Now don’t freak out, camera will say SD ERR. That’s correct. Just format it again in camera. When it is finished you should see 00.

Install the Go Pro App, Add Camera and follow pictured instructions.

If perhaps, one of us made a mistake, do yourself a favor....call Support!

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: HERO3+ Silver Not updating No need to install older update

Thank you. Following these exact steps was the only thing that worked.