Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: HERO10 Black v1.20 Released

[ New ]

A2 sandisk card  shot ten clips.  4 of the ten came out

Hiker

[ New ]
Non capisco cosa vuoi dire
Hiker

[ New ]

As already explained, I have had the issue with my Hero 10 (firmware 1.16), that I could not use the files in Final Cut Pro 10.6 and 10.6.1. the problem was, that during skimming, FCP was freezing and crashing. The files were recorded in 4k120. I then downgraded back to firmware 1.10 as I have had no problems with this one. All files were working fine again in Final Cut Pro. So I was hoping, that the Firmware update from yesterday (firmware 1.20) would solve the issue from 1.16, but this is not the case. When I record files on my Hero 10 with firmware 1.20 and import them into Final Cut Pro 10.6.1, FCP still freezes/crashes during skimming after a few seconds, so AGAIN, I have to downgrade to firmware 1.10. Anybody else having similar problems with Hero 10 files in FInal Cut Pro 10.6 or 10.6.1?

Thanks

MacOS 12.1

Final Cut Pro 10.6.1

Macbook Pro 13 2020

Adventurer

[ New ]

For me this is not a gopro issu but a user issue when I use editing software. For what I said a post above  I thought I. Shot ten clips, I may have shot 6 clips but will run a test to verify. That it recorded all on the A2 ARD

Hiker

[ New ]

Maybe it isn't a Gopro issue, maybe it's coming from Final Cut Pro, I don't know. It's just noticeable, that the Hero 10 firmware 1.10 video files work, and the ones from a newer firmware like 1.16 or 1.20 don't. The whole point of making videos, at least for me is, to get a good result in the end, which means to edit them, or at least only to cut them. And an editing software is designed to exactly do that. In my opinion it should also be in the interest of camera manufacturers to assure, that this is working, otherwise, consumers will use cameras from other manufacturers, that are compatible. And so far, every Gopro camera was compatible to FCP. No offense, just my opinion ...

Adventurer

[ New ]

this issue was around for many years with gopro, they had the skipped frames, vid and aud synch issue , etc. I am sur they can rectify it,  so it be nice you  show an example to them and give it to their Feedback team;  single clips we can waste  the beginning and end clip but like said chapters it must be flawless, no space.

Hiker

[ New ]
Però sinceramente se fcp si blocca e adobe premiere no..significa che premiere gestisce correttamente qualcosa che fcp invece non sa fare. Mai avuto problemi con Adobe...non darei tutta la colpa a gopto
Hiker

[ New ]

I do not use Adobe Premiere (yet), but that's already good to know that it works there! Thanks for trying!

Hiker

[ New ]

ti consiglio di fare una prova scaricando Adobe Cloud e installando premiere in versione trial per 30gg 

cosi puoi vedere se effettivamente sul tuo computer se noti lo stesso comportamento

Andrea

Adventurer

Re: HERO10 Black v1.16 Released

[ New ]

Hiker

Re: HERO10 Black v1.20 Released must be

[ New ]

Andrea, thanks for the tip about Adobe premiere pro. I've tried it, it's the same issue there, it does not work. Also with iMovie, it does not work. I have contacted both Apple and Gopro.

Conclusion: Gopro says, they are not interessted in third party software, and the third party software suppliers need to make sure, they can work with their files. Apple says, if it does not work with several programs like Final Cut Pro, iMovie or even Adobe Premiere Pro, it must be a Gopro issue.

However, thanks for now, I will keep on trying

Backpacker

[ New ]

@rapidstar12733 Is it possible that with the earlier version of the firmware, your recording were in HEVC +H.264 compatability, but with the firmware updates, this has now defaulted to H.265 (HEVC).

Usually stuttering frame rates are a sign that your PC has trouble keeping up with decoding the video stream.  There are a number of things that can cause this.  Too slow a processor, editing or playing back the files via USB connected to the camera instead of copying them to the hard disk first, using a slow SD card reader, copying the files to a slow USB hard drive and so on...

One way to check your files would be to upload the raw files (unedited) you YouTube and then seeing if they play back on YouTube ok (you don't need to make them public, just for your viewing).  If they play back fine on YouTube then the likely issue is a PC issue.  In which case we just need to find out the issue and go from there.

If it's a GoPro issue (if confirmed by the above testing) then it's things like making sure the proper SD card is being used and not a card that shouldn't be used (such as Sandisk Ultra cards) etc.

Hiker

[ New ]

@demonviewllc thank you! I did the tryout on YouTube as suggested, it worked. But I am not quite sure if it's now an Gopro issue or computer issue or at if it's any of them. Could also be just imcompatibility. 

As an SD card, I am using a Sandisk Extreme 128Gb A2 U3 V30, but I have also tried it with a Sandisk Extreme 32Gb A1 U3 V30, which I got from Gopro together with my Hero 10. Furthermore I am using a Macbook pro 13 2020, 2,3GHz Quad-Core Intel i7, 32Gb LPDDR4X RAM, with a SSD harddrive. I always copy all the files from my cameras directly to the harddrive SSD before editing them. By doing this I am trying to eliminate problems before they happen.

So I guess the initial problem you mentioned is the most likely one, that the codecs behind the same resolution I have used in this tryout have changed and the compatibility between Gopro Hero 10 and Apple is just not entirely achieved yet

Backpacker

[ New ]

You just confirmed it is a PC issue.  Your PC is having issues playing back the file format (Youtube on the other hand is transcoding them and playing them fine with no slowdown or missing frames).

So there's a couple of things you can do for immediate editing.

Use Handbrake to simply convert your files into something that can be edited more easily.

I'm not sure what video editor you're using, but you could also create low res proxies for editing (I know Adobe Premier can do this very easily as I use that feature myself).

As for the current issues, your system seems like it should be beefy enough to edit HEVC but it's going to depend on a couple of things.  You need to ensure your graphics card is capable of playing back HEVC (as it's all about hardware).  You also need to make sure you don't have any 3rd party video codec packs installed such as the K-Lite codec pack (many of these codecs are far out of date and will actually make your system much slower).  Also remember that video editors are usually being tweeked and updated for better performance, but not all patches go as planned and it could be a video editor issue.

Finally, every once in a while, if you don't have a properly maintained system, your computer can simply just bog down.  Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and do a clean re-install to get it back on it's feet again.  

Let us know of any other developements and hopefully you get these issues solved!

Tourist

[ New ]
Guys why you try to update to 1.16 when there is a 1.20 version of firmware?
Backpacker

[ New ]

No one is trying to do that, please read the entire thread and realize what the actual issues are if you would like to contribute.

Tourist

[ New ]

demonviewllc, the name of the thread is Hero10black v1.16 Released. Either you change the name or create a new thread named v1.20. It would help anybody who try to serch after tag names. Besides that we avoid to spend half an hour to read something completely unuseful.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@jefft Would you mind renaming or @mariustanya  please rename the topic add in FW 1.20:

As today I was shooting with FW 1.20 the camera was in QC,  certain i hot stop and camera stayed on, can this be an existing firmware, sure can, can it  be a continued issue with fw 1.20 sure can, can it just be hte camera only sure can.

Backpacker

[ New ]

When you record in 4K @ 120fps your camara is using HEVC format.  You can try to enable HEVC +H.264 in your camera settings to increase compatiblity and solve playback issues.  However at the end of the day HEVC (especially high frame rate and resolution HEVC) smooth playback and editing is going to be reliant on what hardware you have in your system and how you're playing back files.

I would query Apple and Final Cut Pro about playback performance issues with HEVC.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

i just did the update and now my camera is no longer working and stuck in a 3 beep reset loop. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Remove the SD card from the camera, put it in an SD card reader and put it into your PC.

Open "Notepad" on your PC and create a new file

Save that file to the SD card root directory and call it "Factory_reset" (without the quotation marks).  Make sure the extension is .TXT

Put the SD card back in your camera.

Your camera should now factory reset and start working again.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I attempt to record a video, and the camera reboots. In some (odd) cases the camera freezes and doesn't even reboot (at which point I need to do it manually).

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @sharmaa6. Make sure that your HERO10 Black is updated to the latest firmware (v1.2). If you have not done the update yet, the steps under Manual Update at HERO10 Black: Software Update Instructions will guide you. After the update, do a factory reset. 

It is also important that your camera use a recommended SD card. Check this list for reference. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

@mariustanya Can you please add to this topic the FW 1.2  we asked over and over no one wants to correct it, why?

Adventurer

[ New ]

camera: FW 1.20. quickcapture.     short scene shots. camera   stops recording, stays on. shut down. to continue recording  that is ISSUE 1 of fw 1.20 or the actual gopro itself, that no one talks about.

camera is OFF, it magically came on, 90% did not touch the button, battery depleted to 22% by the time I found out, camera auto power off 5 minutes. Issue no. 2

Sightseer

[ New ]

I would query Apple and Final Cut Pro about playback performance issues with HEVC.   

Hiker

[ New ]
Is there a new beta firmware that’s newer than 1.20 yet? Anyone know? I cant find the link to check that
Backpacker

[ New ]

No

Adventurer

[ New ]

@keatingf3 wrote:
Is there a new beta firmware that’s newer than 1.20 yet? Anyone know? I cant find the link to check that

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Labs-Information/ta-p/603173

one never knows, unless they get out of the sections

Hiker

[ New ]
Forgive me but “out of the sections” ? What is meant by that?
Thanks for the link as well. I have been there but I was not sure if a beta fw Necesarily means the labs fw will be the same version.
Adventurer

[ New ]

a forum has sections, since gopro is all over the place...

labs 1.20 is  gopro 1.20  so you will have the latest by    the labs staff there