Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

HERO10 Black Firmware 1.15. We are aware of the issue and are working on a resolution.

[ New ]

We are aware of the automatic rebooting issue with firmware version 1.15 and are working on a resolution.

In the meantime, you may manually "update" (revert back) to v1.10 and then do the factory reset in the camera following the steps in this video.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: HERO10 Black Firmware 1.15. We are aware of the issue and are working on a resolution.

[ New ]

Hello everyone! The HERO10 Black Firmware v1.16 has been released.

Release notes are available at https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero10-black

If you had downloaded v1.15 and then had to revert to v1.10, please update to v1.16 and then perform a factory reset. This will help ensure a better experience with your GoPro.

How to perform a factory reset:
  1. With the camera idle and the rear display showing what the camera sees (this is called the idle screen), swipe down to access the dashboard.
  2. Swipe left to access [Connections and Preferences].
  3. Tap [Preferences].
  4. Scroll to the end of the menu options and tap [Reset].
  5. Scroll to the end of the menu options and tap [Factory Reset].
  6. Tap [Reset] on the confirmation screen to reboot the camera.
  7. Complete the first-time camera setup.

We are marking this post as a solution for visibility in the thread. Please let us know how it works on your end. Many thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

Re: HERO10 Black Firmware 1.15. We are aware of the issue and are working on a resolution.

[ New ]

Please simply just note that on the product page and sticky this topic many have to report their own topics.

Tourist

[ New ]

Ya conoceis el problema, pues yo también al actualizar con la nueva versión y entrar en el modo tripode la gopro hero 10 ha entrado en el bucle de reinicio. La cuestión es que ya he intentado actualizar manualmente a v1.10 o la Firmware de GoPro Labs con la targeta sd pero NO FUNCIONA. Lo he probado de todas las maneras posibles que estan indicadas por los usuarios y nada, sigue en el bucle.... ni conectando en el pc y dejando que reinicie, ni pulsando 10 seg o más los botones, nunca me ha aparecido la tuerca ni ningun intento de instalar nada. Ya diréis en este caso como lo puedo solucionar. Gracias.

Tourist

[ New ]

SOLUCIONADO! He seguido exactamente los pasos de este video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Upx6vsKnwA&ab_channel=DemonViewLLC

Nada de conectar el cable al ordenador. He puesto la version de Lab dentro de la targeta SD, la he metido en la go pro con la bateria y SOLO aprentando 10 segundos el boton de MODE. Cuando empieza a parpadear la pantalla en negro(nada de tuercas) he soltado, se ha reiniciado la pantalla en negro 3 o 4 veces y ha aparecido la famosa tuerca indicando que se estaba instalando la versión de Labs. De momento parece que funciona normal, a ver si funcionan todos lo modos de videos y no se ha roto nada por el camino. 

GoPro released a new Firmware Update for the GoPro Hero 10. However shortly after install there was an issue with the Hero 10 constantly rebooting. I hones...
GoPro

[ New ]

@bank19, be sure to copy the extracted UPDATE folder into the root drive of your SD card. The camera may also reboot a couple of times during the process but should eventually recognize the new Update files and reinstall the firmware.

GoPro

[ New ]

@bank19, thanks for posting back with an update. Glad to hear that your camera is up and running now. Let us know if anything else comes up.

Hiker

[ New ]

@aenriquez 

@mariustanya 

When is the next firmware release date for HERO10 Black?

When I checked the URL below, it was stated that the next firmware for HERO10 Black would be released by the end of October.

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero10-black-video-performance-modes-and-enduro-battery

"And we're also excited to announce that a new HERO10 firmware update update is coming before end of October!"

Specifically, what time is the next firmware release date for HERO 10 Black?

Hiker

[ New ]

@godv so you still have a buggy popping 9 and you bought a 10? sucker for punishment? this time its shame on you for buying one knowing how bad the after sales support is......  give this camera 9-12 months from now to be finished - LMFAO

Hiker

[ New ]

Questo conferma che non c'è nessuno che efffettua i test prima del rilascio di un FW, confortante davvero.

Tourist
Tourist

[ New ]

再起動現象がおきたので、SDカードのルートに空のテキストファイル「factory_reset.txt」をコピーしてデフォルト設定で立ち上がることを確認。ビデオパフォーマンスモードは、「最大パフォーマンス」でしばらくは運用することにした。

Nomad

[ New ]

I think my camera went haywire because when i went to Extended Battery and chose a profile it ws one of my custom profiles rather than the new standard EB profiles.

Once you are able to go back into the camera make sure that you wipe the existing presets off the camera as selecting a preset that has resolutions and frame rates that dont work in the new modes will send it into the power cycling loop.  Easiest way is to perform a factory reset which will remove all your custom profiles.  You can add them back to the performance mode manually.

I think it boots, loads up the default starting method (in my case the last used video settings) sees that it isn't compatiable with the EB mode and resets.  The problem is that it constantly loads the last video profile and is still in EB mode so the sanity check causes and infinite loop and getting the camera to do something that breaks into that loop is hit and miss.  On install the FW should just put all custom or altered firmware into the performance mode and use the default profiles for the other two.  When performing the sanity check it shouldn't just restart if the profile isn't sane -  it should set  the current profile to a sane one then restart.

Since reinstalling 1.15 and resetting the camera to factory defaults I have been able to use the camera

Hiker

[ New ]
quindi prima dell'update conviene resettare la cam con un factory reset e successivamente installare la versione 1.15 ?
Nomad

[ New ]

@andregixxer wrote:
quindi prima dell'update conviene resettare la cam con un factory reset e successivamente installare la versione 1.15 ?

I installed the firmware but performed a factory reset BEFORE I chose the Extended Battery or Tripod modes.  I've still got to try and find time to try it out properly, first test of 5.3k 50fps in tripod mode recorded for 20min in the media mod case, indoors.  9 min (almost 33%) shorter than the predicted 29 min.  4k25 fps in tripod mode lasted 29 min, again less than the predicted time - this time by 21 minutes.

Need to test it more to see the performance properly.

Hiker

[ New ]
grazie, proverò anche io ma settimana prossima perchè questa settimana esco con l'FPV e non posso permettermi di avere la Hero 10 che per qualche motivo vada in loop
Nomad

[ New ]

Personally I'd say stick with firmware 1.10 until Gopro can fix the bug in the new firmware.  Not sure if there's anything special in the firmware to reduce the heating - the new modes look like they are just crafted setting with restricted option to work better in certain situations (e.g. on tripod there is only 5.3k or 4k, no hypersmooth, no linear mode, bitrate set to low, etc.  any option that uses battery/processing is removed - something easy to set up yourself in profiles).  the only "big" change is that there are profiles called slow-Mo and extra slow mo available now (and a couple of other profile names).

One thing that I need to look more into is the embedded timecode in mp4 and lrv files - previously there ws a bug that meant the lrv files were 1 frame shorter than the mp4 which meant that they couldn't be set as proxy video in Davinci Resolve.   A quick look at one set of files with the new firmwre looks like that might be corrected (darn it - I just finished writing my script to correct thet as well), although the WAV files still don't have the BECT chunk metadata headers that allow them to be synchronised by timecode in editors (at least I'll be able to use that part of the script).

Not sure what other bugs have been fixed yet.  Need more time to play and by then they should hopefully have corrected the power cycling and assumptions made in the firmware.

Hiker

回复: HERO10 Black Firmware 1.15. We are aware of the issue and are working on a resolution.

[ New ]

为什么1.15更新后会出现重启循环这个问题呢?尤其是选择三脚架固定模式或者试图在最佳续航模式选择机子最高分辨率时就出现!

Hiker

[ New ]

Concordo con te, non c'è alcun FIX ma solo un aiuto nella configurazione dei profili aggiuntivo....aiuto che sinceramente non serve a nulla visto che chi usa la gopro a anni sa cosa attivare e cosa no in base a cosa deve fare; ad ogni modo trovo il problema del surriscaldamento un non-problema visto che per me resta un'action cam e non faccio video statici cosi lunghi,

Non sono stati aggiunti i framerate mancanti nella versione 1.10 del FW ? dovrebbero esserci almeno quelli.

La vera novità sono le batterie che stanno per uscire e li un paio facendo snowboard e foto notturne con la reflex con quelche TimeLapse  di contorno ... le dovrò per forza prendere

Hiker

[ New ]

最好将TF卡及电池从机子取出来,TF格式化后并复制进原来1.10版本固件的Update文件夹,机子则用充电器来充些电。

Hiker

[ New ]
c'è un Log delle modifiche contenute nella versione 1.15 ?
Hiker

[ New ]

那么不断循环重启如何解决?

Nomad

回复: HERO10 Black Firmware 1.15. We are aware of the issue and are working on a resolution.

[ New ]

@usmcdull wrote:

为什么1.15更新后会出现重启循环这个问题呢?尤其是选择三脚架固定模式或者试图在最佳续航模式选择机子最高分辨率时就出现!

@usmcdull As I said in an earlier post from playing around with the update I think the issue happens because any existing profiles on the camera can appear in the Extended battery and Tripod mode even if they have settings which are restricted in those modes.  This triggers some check which then restarts the camera.  As most users will have modified their profiles this will probaby happen to a alot of people who updated the firmware.  A lot of users will also have the camera to start off in the same mode it shut down in or the same video profile so if an offending profile causes it to shut down it will automatically be reloaded on the next start up and trigger the shutdown again.

This happens when you choose a profile in the EB or Tripod mode that contains settings that aren't compatiable with those modes (e.g. old profiles containing hypersmooth that for some reason turn up in tripod mode).  To stop this happening you can reset to factory defaults and then go through recreating your profiles in the Performance mode as well as changing all your settings again.

If you already have a camera going through power cycle mode then I'm sorry I don't have a definate answer how to stop it.  It looks as if the best way is to trigger something that stops the shut down - connecting it by usb to the PC, removing the battery and powering from USB or removing the SD card as it boots look to be things others have tried and even then it may take several cycles for these measures to interupt the reboot.

Best option would be to reinstall 1.10 once you can incase there is any other glitch that triggers the cycle.

Nomad

[ New ]

@andregixxer wrote:

Concordo con te, non c'è alcun FIX ma solo un aiuto nella configurazione dei profili aggiuntivo....aiuto che sinceramente non serve a nulla visto che chi usa la gopro a anni sa cosa attivare e cosa no in base a cosa deve fare; ad ogni modo trovo il problema del surriscaldamento un non-problema visto che per me resta un'action cam e non faccio video statici cosi lunghi,

Non sono stati aggiunti i framerate mancanti nella versione 1.10 del FW ? dovrebbero esserci almeno quelli.

La vera novità sono le batterie che stanno per uscire e li un paio facendo snowboard e foto notturne con la reflex con quelche TimeLapse  di contorno ... le dovrò per forza prendere

I didn't play long enough to see but it looked as if in tripod mode at least there was only 25 and 50 fps, no 24 at 5.3k so I doubt the others were added either.  I don't think high bitrate was there either, but by the time I got it workable it was late and I didn't have the time to go through them properly.

In tripod mode 2.7k 200/240 fps isnt available - November is coming up and I want to set the camera on a tripod filming fires in slow motion so these settings aren't good for me.  Guess most of the time I would just stick to performance mode.

I found it easy enough to switch from 5k25 with Horizon levelling to 5.3k without hypersmooth with one of the 4 keys at the bottom set to change the stabilisation - something that would be easier than changing mode then changing profile.

But the slow motion profile names are back.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Thanks to @bank19 for posting the video with the solution outlined in it.  As the video mentions, after loading the GoPro firmware onto the SD card, the camera will reboot about 4 more times before the firmware manages to load up.  Once it loads up, the camera updates, reboots twice and then behaves normally.

If this isn't working for you, make sure you are using a formatted SD card and that the "UPDATE" folder is copied to the root directory of the card.  Make sure the files are extracted and your not copying the "Update.zip" file to the root folder.  

This video shows exactly the steps needed to manually update your GoPro, this was created for a Hero 8, but the same applies to the Hero 10 (you'll just be downloading either the Hero 10 firmware or the Hero 10 labs firmware, depending on which fix you want to try)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kVTYclGorU

Then it's just a case of following the instructions to fix your GoPro Hero 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Upx6vsKnwA

I see GoPro have removed the update from the download section as well as from the App as well.  Good thing too, this caused a lot of problems for a lot of users.  As someone pointed out, this update was probably tested on GoPro's straight off the factory floor without things like the Labs Firmware installed, or custom presets created before and after the update installation.  Hence the problems that followed.  Hopefully the two video's attached help users fix their GoPro Hero 10 issues.

GoPro released a new Firmware Update for the GoPro Hero 10. However shortly after install there was an issue with the Hero 10 constantly rebooting. I hones...
In this video I show you how to manually update the firmware on your GoPro. This video was made using the GoPro Hero 8 however the exact same procedure appl...
Adventurer

[ New ]

Thank you for pulling off FW 1.15 and placing back fw 1.10  Staff,   Please like said  give this firmware out to the Beta testers you chosen to do your Reviews before you launch, they are the ones that got free cameras to test out, they should be your guinea pigs not us Consumers

Sightseer

[ New ]

Reverting to the old firmware doesn't work. I put the update on the SD card but still the camera restarts over and over again

Adventurer

[ New ]

follow the video or  send back to gopro

Sightseer

[ New ]
SDに空のfactory_reset.txtを入れて電源を入れなおしてみてください。数回やると再起動が突然治りました。試してみて!
Backpacker

[ New ]

@peters06186  As the video points out, restoring to the original firmware did not work for me either.  I had to revert to the GoPro labs firmware for the camera to fix itself.  The camera also needed to reboot 4 times before the labs firmware loaded and 2 more times after the labs firmware updated.  

If you're having issues still, make sure you're using a properly formatted SD card and that you've created a folder called "UPDATE" in the root directory of the SD card (next to the DCIM and MISC folders).  Then download the update, extract the files into the UPDATE folder on the SD card.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I already got it fixed, I used a factory reset on the card. Gopro was immediately set to factory settings. I got the wrong firmware, I'm not allowed to switch to tripod mode until the next new update

Backpacker

[ New ]

Not sure what you mean by " I'm not allowed to switch to tripod mode until the next new update".  I use my Hero 10 on a tripod when filming indoors no issue.  

Just turn off the things the camera doesn't need when mounted on a stationary Tripod such as....

rear screen (since it's facing away from you and you cant' see it),

hypersmooth (since your GoPro is on a tripod and doesn't need stabilization),

GPS (since you're not going anywhere),

bit rate to standard (since there's going to be less color and light level difference)

lower your frame rate (which will be better for indoor shooting as high frame rates require a lot more light)

Resolution (as you're not filming sweeping vista's and shouldnt' need to zoom in 400% since you can easily move your tripod closer)

Your GoPro will then product a lot less heat and should record until the battery runs out.  

Nomad

[ New ]

@peters06186 wrote:

I'm not allowed to switch to tripod mode until the next new update

Why not?

Once I done a factory reset on the new firmware the problematic profiles I believe to be causing the issue were wiped and the new modes usable.

Tripod mode is simply 4k 25/50 or 5.3k 25/30 fps whith all the nells and whistles unselectable.  - No stabilisation, no linear lens, no lower resolutions.

the reason you had a problem was because your default profile contained setting not allowed (e.g. linear lens, hypersmooth, etc) and it should hopefully play nice now. 

Try going to performance and selecting the standard profile, switching on hypersmooth, horizon levelling and then go to tripod mode.  I haven't got my camera with me to see what happens 

Tourist

[ New ]

I can't even downgrade the version or factory reset. Always restarting :( 

Sightseer

[ New ]

We should make GoPro company better - we should teach them, that using customers as their beta testers is not a good way of doing business. We have bought a half thousand dollars brick instead of an action camera. Let's just send it back, I have no time to play with beta firmwares, find ways to stop "reboot loops", reset firmware manually from the zip archive, or something like that. I want to have a reliable action camera, properly developed and hugely tested by GoPro. If we send all our bricks them back, maybe the situation with poor software quality will change.

If not - we will see the same problems many many MANY times in the future and spend many many MANY hours fixing new "updates".

Backpacker

[ New ]

How are you trying to downgrade?  What steps are you taking?

Tourist

[ New ]

SOLUTION FOR NOW: It works on mine that was bricked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1giBux0TDQk

It will reboot many times. Superb!! Its working!

This video shows how to reset GoPro Hero 8/9/10/Max cameras without using the camera's touchscreen or buttons.Useful tools:- Camera Tools for GoPro: https://...
Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

@aenriquez 

When I checked the URL below, it was stated that the next firmware for HERO10 Black would be released by the end of October.

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero10-black-video-performance-modes-and-enduro-battery

"And we're also excited to announce that a new HERO10 firmware update update is coming before end of October!"

Adventurer

[ New ]

Yes All pack up your camera and return. 

Why on Earth are we getting  new modes like Tripod mode.  a cheat sheet should be made up and members need to learn more of their cam.  

My HERO8 Black Preset Settings | Abe Kislevitz

I created a printable cheat sheet for Hero 3 Black from sidebar link to  help with choosing the right settings: gopro

Tourist

[ New ]

No se puede reinstalar ninguna version anterior. La camara ha quedado atrapada en el loop de arranque y no lee la tarjeta SD. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I really don't understand the need for these modes. Just include all the settings (wifi, gps, screens etc.) to protune, possibility to rename the presets and were done.

Sightseer

[ New ]
No one cares about updates! Hero 10 has also stabilization problem and they know it but still no update!

https://youtube.com/shorts/nyJRfQTnPnc?feature=share
Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro has a Group of Reviewers: Please give them any firmware first before  giving to us, and have them report back any issues they find, since we the consumer  never asked for any Additional Modes, we already have timelapse,photo and video and within the Modes, profiles, if one can not do it on their own then by all means Create a prile for them in GoProlabs, not on the Actual consumers version, that is what GoProlabs is about testing things out there not on our original  defaulted models

1. Send all gopros back, make a statement to gopro. good luck on that

2.  do not release anymore firmware I agree if gopro  ould have matured the camera before  bringing to the Market, they can't

3 gopro goofed BIG TIME

Sightseer

[ New ]
In my camera first I try labs firmware. With update folder on root of SD card My camera makes boot loop like 100 times and then it stopped but nothing else. Battery is full. Then I try 1.10 not lab version it makes loop like 50 times. Then I plugged power cable and then boot loop goes little longer and I can even see camera image on screen half second.
It makes that kind of loop 10 times and then updating logo appears.

So please be patient. Try plug power cable and battery and sad card and then wait
Tourist

[ New ]

This solved it for good!

Create a TXT file factory_reset.txt on SD Card root. Insert it and it will reset camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1giBux0TDQk&list=PLGg9P-5Etd-eRIF4GTyEzVkXUtjrnpeXT&index=1&t=12s

This video shows how to reset GoPro Hero 8/9/10/Max cameras without using the camera's touchscreen or buttons.Useful tools:- Camera Tools for GoPro: https://...
Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro we have a Problem with  People not knowing how to update cameras as you can see. Imagine you simply place back the old fw with FW 1.11  people would update a REFRESH then  come here saying- wait they say fw 1.11 did nothing what did I a lose lose. 

can not lead horses to water and have them drink

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

@aenriquez 

Nomad

[ New ]

@godv 

This entire thread is about the October release of the new firmware and how it broke peoples camera.  this is the same question you asked and were answered in your own thread.  If you can be bothered to read this thread you will see that there were a lot of problems.

Please Please Please READ THE ANSWERS THAT HAVE BEEN GIVEN INSTEAD OF CONTINUOUSLY POSTING THE SAME QUESTION.  Asking the same question time after time after time will not change the answer.

The 1.5 version of the software was released and imediately withdrawn because of bugs and the fact that it broke so many Gopros.

DO YOU WANT TO BREAK YOUR CAMERA?!?

There is no release date for the next firmware beause ther are trying to fix the problem introduced with the buggy firmware.

The November release has been put back to sometime in December - no firm date for the release.  This might even be postponed again because of the problens with firmware 1.5.

No matter now many times you ask the question, no matter how many threads you post the questions in those are the facts and you wont change them by constantly repeating yourself and getting on peoples nerves.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@godv  The release date is set for Nov 2021, GoPro  is releasing the Enduru battery set forNov 30th 2021. If GoPro remove the  stationary and tripod out the software,  you have a better firmware, that caused the issue.

if GoPro does not want to answer,they will keep silent and if you need a  answer call and or chat with CSA they will answer  your questions.

now to keep this on topic.

@mariustanya  when will the next firmware be released  and what will it be called FW 1.16

Tourist

[ New ]
Die Firmware 1.15 wurde nicht zurückgezogen. Nachdem ich den factory_reset.txt durchgeführt habe, wurde mir die Version 1.15 in der Quick App erneut angeboten und installiert. Was ein durcheinander.... Ohje
Nomad

[ New ]

I don't understand that GoPro doesn't learn from their mistakes ?! There were already similar errors with the Hero 8, also with the Hero 9! Each time the new model is brought onto the market unfinished and only with the last update are all the advertised features available and most of the bugs fixed - nevertheless, every model could use improvement and fine-tuning, but this never happens because at this point already a new model is in development that will then come onto the market unfinished ...
That can happen once, maybe a second time, but THAT apparently seems to be a company strategy! How else should the Hero 10 share the same fate ?!

Tourist

[ New ]

@herbertk11 On a mobile device, you have to clear the cache and data in the Quick App - otherwise it still offers an update to version 1.15