Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

HERO 9 recording Format h.264 + hevc

I've just got a Hero 9 and imported my first video to my PC it wont play back the file and neither will my iPhone 7.

I've set the record setting to h.264+HEVC and would have thought it would be compatible..

This is going to be a big problem for me!!!

I'm using Davinci Resolve 16 and I have an AMD Ryzen 5 CPU - Where do I get the Codec support?

HELP!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: HERO 9 recording Format h.264 + hevc

There was thread here on this forum. (I don't see a search available) Users went to Windows Store to purchase and install the HEVC codec.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

@timfromwales wrote

I'm using Davinci Resolve 16 and I have an AMD Ryzen 5 CPU - Where do I get the Codec support?

It is a problem, gopro wont let you choose the codec. Some combianations of resolution and frame rate trigger HEVC instead of h.264. For example 1080/24 uses HEVC while 1080/25/30 use h.264. Oddly designed.

Here you can get the microsoft codec for windows 10 for free: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi - I found and bought the coded 79p in the UK

Thanks

Tim

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

There was thread here on this forum. (I don't see a search available) Users went to Windows Store to purchase and install the HEVC codec.

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

@timfromwales wrote

It is a problem, gopro wont let you choose the codec. Some combianations of resolution and frame rate trigger HEVC instead of h.264. For example 1080/24 uses HEVC while 1080/25/30 use h.264. Oddly designed.

Here you can get the microsoft codec for windows 10 for free: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi - I found and bought the coded 79p in the UK

Thanks

Tim