Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

HERO 9 "Unable to view" in playback mode

[ New ]

I bought the HERO9 bundle and everything works just fine, except after awhile, some of my Custom Preferences videos (1080, 240fps, Wide) have become "unable to view" in the Playback Mode.

I have tried viewing the files by inserting the card that came with the bundle (SanDisk Extreme 64GB) into other devices, but the files are still unplayable. They played before on the camera but now won't. 

The weather was around 30°F when shooting the video if that makes a difference.

I have almost 2 hours of space left so that shouldn't be the problem.

Advice on how to get my videos back would be much appreciated. 

Thank you

GoPro

Re: HERO 9 "Unable to view" in playback mode

[ New ]

Hello, @quicksilver04. What do you get on the camera instead of playback when the resolution is set at 1080, 240fps, Wide? I just did a quick test on a HERO9 Black with v1.5 and the media played back on the camera. 

Testing with the GoPro app, playback was not possible without downloading the file. The media was viewable after being downloaded. 

Removed the SD card (SanDisk Extreme, 32 GB) from the camera and inserted it into the computer and playback went fine, too. 

Were there other settings that could be causing the observed behavior on your end? 

Tourist

[ New ]

Instead of playing back the video, I get a black screen with white letters: "Unable to View" ONLY on certain videos. I do not believe the problem is with my custom video settings because they are built into the camera and should not affect the performance.

I tried importing the files onto my computer and they were recognized as corrupted files.

I formatted my card the way I am supposed to now, so I will see if that resolves the problem.

Thank you for the quick response and advice,

QuickSilver04

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have been having the same problem with my GoPro. but sadly nothing has worked, I've tried formating the card, resetting the GoPro, recovery systems, but nothing has worked.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @lukeo47768

What SD card are you using?

Were you able to try the steps shared above?

Let us know how it goes.
If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have a 256-gigabyte card, and yes I've tried everything listed above. but it keeps happening.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am having the exact same issue on my GoPro 9. I filmed about 15 min worth of video yesterday while skiing on standard video settings and with the SD card sent from GP. The video won't play on the gopro itself (unable to view file) or when I DL to my computer. I do see the thumbnail of the vid but that's it. Other test vids worked ok. Very odd.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have formatted the memory card that was causing corrupted video files, and I haven't had the problem since.

I would suggest importing all the files you want to keep onto your computer and then format the card with all the default settings.

So far I haven't been able to recover the corrupted videos, but if anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate any advice.

I hope this helps everyone,

And thanks for all your support,

QuickSilver04 

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the update, and for sharing a solution, @quicksilver04. Unfortunately, we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data. We recommend reaching out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem. However, before showing "Unable to view," my GoPro 9 usually crashed at the last moment of my recording. The screen is still on; the red light also appears (although the recording should be terminated after one min (my setting)). This situation has happened three times. After removing the battery and making a recording one more time, it goes back to normal again. I believe that "Unable to View" in my case is due to a problematic recording (the file is not entirely recorded for some reason).  

I use the SD card in the box, update the firmware using the SD card, format the SD card, reset all settings, even a hardware reset... The problem seems to be solved in the beginning, but then it comes back. I have no problem with what's going on...

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details that you provided, @chaselweng. In this case, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team for further troubleshooting. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. Be sure to put in your best contact number. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same issue. I have tried formatting the card (using the GoPro) and the issue persists. This happens to about 50% of the videos I record. Very frustrating after a day of riding to find out half of your footage isn't viewable.

I am using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB SD card. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I applied for a replacement, and finally, this problem and other problems seem all solved...