Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

HERO 9 Black heat issue

[ New ]

Just got my HERO 9 Black and have been running a couple of tests at various settings to see how long the batteries last. The problem is that the camera is getting so hot that it turn itself off after about 30 minutes. The temperature gets so high that I can't hold it in my hand for more than a 5-10 seconds when I check on it.

These tests have been done indoors, so no nice cooling wind blowing over the camera. I bought it to use on my motorbike, so I'm hoping some wind will help to keep it cool, but I still wouldn't expect it to get this hot under any normal conditions.

Any advice?

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: HERO 9 Black heat issue

[ New ]

Hi.

I ran test for two hours from battery indoors - 4K60fps, till the card is full, with GoPro Labs firmware (1.50), plugged into to usb charger, and there was no problem.

May be try to update to the latest firmware (1.52) and test again.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

Hi.

I ran test for two hours from battery indoors - 4K60fps, till the card is full, with GoPro Labs firmware (1.50), plugged into to usb charger, and there was no problem.

May be try to update to the latest firmware (1.52) and test again.

Tourist

[ New ]

My test was done under similar condition and settings, but I was running off the battery alone with no charger connected. I rather suspect the battery is the issue and that is what is overheating. By having it connected to the charger you wer effectively bypassing the battery. I'm running another test now with the charger connected to see if there is any heating up. I ran a firmware update when I first unboxed it.

It may or may not be a problem. I bought it to mount to my motorbike helmet, so there should be a fair bit of airflow over the camera, but then again I'll be using it outdoors in direct sunlight. 

I will let you the result of this test.

Tourist

[ New ]

@frostycab - In spite of what you might read on these forums I don't think that whatever is causing your overheating issue is generic to all Hero 9 cameras. I also bought the Hero 9 primarily for use on a motorcycle. Just got back from a 16 day North Carolina to California motorcycle trip, and had the Hero 9 mounted on the fairing behind the windshield, operating on battery the entire 16 days. I shot almost 600GB of video in Max lens mode (2.7k, 60fps) and the Hero 9 performed flawlessly.  No overheating, no audio pops, the touch screen worked as advertised. Included in that was a ride across the entire length of Death Valley where temps were around 120 degrees (F) range the entire ride.  Shot almost two hours of video and the Hero 9 didn't miss a beat.  The mounting position is in direct sunlight, behind the windshield, so not much airflow.  For what it's worth I'll mention I ran the entire time on battery power (rotated between 5 OEM GoPro batteries) and traveled with a dozen 12GB memory cards selected from GoPro's approved list.  Swapped batteries and memory during fuel stops.  Didn't run the H9 on external power because of the compromise to water proofing; rode through rain several times.

Tourist

[ New ]

I waited to purchase a gopro until the Hero9, figuring the product would be solid after so many version updates. Couldn't be more disappointed. This is the worst electronics purchase I have ever made. And, the amount of money I have spent on accessories....Max Mod, 4 extra batteries, dual charger, 2 sucton cups, multiple microsd cards, etc. I can't find a scenario where this camera "won't" overheat.

I have read thru most the reviews and have followed all the sound advice to correct the issue, including manual update, but it still persist.

Has GoPro issued a sensible response to this yet?

GoPro should let us trade in our 9black for the 10 whenever they release it in September.

Very disappointed customer

Nomad

[ New ]

If not this, than what chamera would you advise.

I need minium 4K 60fps, and they all get very hot.

If you go to Osmo Action forum, you get a lot of posts with overheating.

If you go to Insta360 forums, you get the same complaints.

And I'll tell you that on the third day after I got Insta360 4K, I gave it a stress test.

I put it on the tripod, in the middle of the room with 20*C, and with Lexar 1000x 128GB V60 micro sd card, and it was recording, 4k60fps of course.

And it was probably hot. And when I looked at it in around an hour and a half, it was no longer on. It shut down.

After I pulled out the card, it was very hot, and since then this card is no longer usable, whatever I tried.

You can still put the files onto this card but with max speed of 5 mBps.

So which one is better for 4K60fps?