Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

HERO 8 freezes quite often

[ New ]

This issue has been present since at least the Hero 6. I use the GoPro on my bike and frequently shoot short videos of say 10-30 seconds. I press the record button once, GoPro boots up, and when I'm done I press the record button again and the camera stops recording and shuts down.

However, quite frequently the camera simply freezes and the *only* way to get it back to life is to pull the battery! This is far from ideal, since the battery compartment hinge on the Hero 8 isn't fixed and easily comes loose. Not only do you miss a video capture moment, but you can lose the battery compartment lid as well!

Clearly this is a software issue, as it has been present with the Hero 6 as well.

I formatted the SD card using the GoPro itself and Quik says that the camera firmware is the latest. Even if this were a "solution", I'd rather prefer the firmware guys actually fix it by not letting the whole camera freeze. Why that behavior is acceptable is a mystery to me. The hardware should not ever freeze, even with a faulty or incorrectly formatted SD card.

Can someone at GoPro *please* fix this?

GoPro

Re: HERO 8 freezes quite often

[ New ]

Hi @reuf

What SD card are you using?

What version is the camera currently on?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi there,

camera version is 1.60
SD card is SanDisk Extreme 128 GB - class 3

Should all be good, right?

But as said, why would a freeze behavior ever be acceptable?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @reuf. Your SD card is good. If you haven't yet, try manually updating the camera firmware. Your HERO8 Back may already have v1.6 but we'd like to clear any possible error with the current installation. The steps under Manual Update here will guide you. After the update, do a factory reset. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

I tried to do the manual update like this:

* Format the SD card with name "NO NAME"

* Put the contents from here on it: https://gopro.com/en/us/support/hero8-black-product-update

* Insert SD card in HERO 8

* Boot

But... nothing happens. It just boots and shows me that I have 999+ pictures left to take on the HERO8.

When evaluating the SD Card in my PC again, I see that the GoPro added its standard folders and files to the filesystem. It did nothing with the update at all; perhaps because it already 'sees' that the update version is identical to the firmware that is already on the GoPro?

Am I missing something here?

Backpacker

[ New ]

Looks like you missed a lot of steps for doing a manual update.

Here's a video link to show you how to do this:

Hiker

[ New ]

Ok, thanks. Guess I missed making an UPDATE folder. Sigh. Let me try that. AFAIK, that was the only thing missing, right?

Hiker

[ New ]

Ran the update and did the reset. I'll go test the GoPro and report back!

Backpacker

[ New ]

Don't forget to format your SD card in your GoPro before use.  This will ensure the card is set up for the optimal format and block size for use.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@reuf  Gopro hiccups on sdxc cards because hidden files  are  posssibly  on the card. Please make sue you are fully formatting them.

simple mistakes are made like that "update" filefolder, and GoPro requires it to be in Caps "UPDATE"   per the CSA people.   Imagine everyone on the right page we be trouble free.

Hiker

[ New ]

This is not a hiccup, it's a complete freeze with the only thing left to do is to pull the battery.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I used the word Hiccup as freeze.  get with gopro the actual Rep.

Hiker

[ New ]

semantics aside, I don't think a camera should ever freeze. To me that's just a programming bug. One that GP should fix, since this was also present in the HERO 6.

But I'm okay with going through the non-intuitive manual update-and-reset process to test this again and hope this problem will magically go away (even though I already had the exact same firmware, but... okay).

The problem is that reproducing this might take several days. I've had days that went fine and then all of a sudden I got multiple freezes on a single day.

Hiker

[ New ]

hi there,

well, that went quick. After just 10 minutes of making short clips, I got a freeze again. Hurray!

Ok guys, please let me know how to fix this, because it is annoying as hell

GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate you going over the suggested steps, @reuf. If the issue persists, our Support team will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,

I found another issue, that might as well be very related to the freeze. Sometimes when pressing the record button, the camera boots up twice! First it boots to a black screen... but then it boots again and suddenly ends up NOT in recording mode, but in the normal mode. It doesn't record either. The only way to shut it off again, is with the side button.

A video of this can be seen here (around 30 seconds the bug occurs):

Clearly this is a bug and I don't this this has anything to do with SD cards. I suspect this issue to be related to the crash/freeze bug.

Can someone please escalate this to QA?

Hiker

[ New ]

I sent this to QA:

Related thread:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/HERO-8-freezes-quite-often/m-p/672489#/M157475

So there is 2 videos:

1) Short one that displays the normal menu in record mode!

Sometimes when pressing the record button, the camera boots up twice! First it boots to a black screen... but then it boots again and suddenly ends up NOT in recording mode, but in the normal mode. It doesn't record either. The only way to shut it off again, is with the side button.

2) Long video from SD formatting to freeze (@ 19:05 mark)

I recorded the whole event for you to evaluate. At start I formatted the SD card (which is an official approved SD card). And after around 17 I begin fiddling a bit with the camera. I noticed a number of things: you can apparently enter some weird menu that doesn't record while long holding the record button. In that menu you can only switch between TimeWarp and normal recording. I think it is a feature, but since it doesn't record, I don't see why changing the mode is useful. But... this might be intended, confusing perhaps, but intended nonetheless.

What is not intended happens at 19:05

You can see the screen glitching very briefly and then the camera completely freezes and I can't get it back into action, unless I pull the battery. This took me 19 minutes to replicate. Sometimes it happens in 5 minutes. Sometimes it happens multiple times in a row. Sometimes it doesn't happen for hours. But eventually it does happen.

As said, I think this is related to the bug in 1).

Please send this to QA for them to properly find a repo case and fix the issue.

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

was following this thread as I have the same issue. Contacted costumer support and turns out my sd card was not one of the recomended ones for the Hero 8.

Just put a new one that is recommended.

Let see if all is fixed when I take it out to the ocean next time.

Hiker

[ New ]

My SD card is good. It is a software issue

Hiker

[ New ]

Update: two weeks later, still no word from support on this matter. What a surprise.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @reuf

We have recently released an update for the HERO8 Black.

Were you able to update your camera?

If you haven't yet, please follow the steps on https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black

Let us know if this helps.

We will also follow up with the team regarding your case.. Sorry for any trouble caused.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

so my camera is still freezing up.

I did the software update, reset the camera, fomated the recommeded sd card annd still the same issue.

Any news?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @camposartu. if the issue persists despite having performed the recommended troubleshooting, the next step would be to engage our Support team or further assistance. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled.