Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

HERO 8 Black RMA Replacements

[ New ]

I've got an RMA for my HERO 8 Black .... has anyone got experience of the replacement HERO 8 Black cameras GoPro are sending out?

Preferably from European customers - I'm in the UK.

I've been reading lots of posts about poor quality refurbished units being sent out as RMA replacements for older models. With varying degrees of problems ranging from scatches to actual faults.

I'm hoping that won't include the HERO 8 Black seeing as it's a new camera. GoPro will probably not have stocks of working upgrade trade in cameras to swell the RMA refurbished stock.

Mine is actually just over a month old and in perfect condition apart from the reason for the RMA and I'm a little bit worried that I'll be sent a substandard refurbed device as a replacement.

Hiker

Re: HERO 8 Black RMA Replacements

[ New ]

"I've been reading lots of posts about poor quality refurbished units being sent out as RMA replacements for older models. With varying degrees of problems ranging from scatches to actual faults."

That seems unlikely because it's not legal. Refurbished units have to be designated as such, by law. I think any camera vendor would confirm that for you.

I'm not in the UK but I received a Hero 8 replacement through the RMA process. It looked brand new, not a mark or scratch anywhere on it. Didn't look like it had been handled at all. The plastic protection pieces were in place like it just came off the production line. And it works perfectly. They don't ship them in a full retail package with mounting accesories and a battery. It's just the camera in a package they do specifically for shipping RMA replacements. Hope that helps.

Hiker

[ New ]

It does help... thanks!

If you Google for GoPro RMA repalcements there are lots of hits where people compain about the replacements they have recieved.

I appreciate that there will be some defined standard for the replacements - that's just common sense and would be a pretty devastating slipup for GoPro if that wasn't the case.

It might be a case of 'Man Bites Dog' - when something happens infrequently it becomes newsworthy... then it draws attention when reported and people think it happens a lot more than it actually does.

Google doesn't help by grouping and collating all the instances in the search results... but that's just Google being good at indexing and producing search results relevant to the key words used.

:)

Explorer

[ New ]
Every now and then this forum suddenly will get these post about damaged refurbished units. Most of the time it turns out to be bogus complaints. At the end of the day, if in the very unlikely scenario where you get a replacement that you think may be faulty (cosmetically or otherwise), it's just going to result in another RMA. GoPro will make it right for you.
Hiker

[ New ]

I'm sure they will.

I've never had any problems in the past.

Which is why I buy a GoPro rather than anything else.

Hiker

Betreff: HERO 8 Black RMA Replacements

[ New ]

Dann wünsche ich, dass sie schneller verschickt wird als mein Ersatz. Ich warte nämlich seit bald 6 Wochen! Support hält mich weiterhin hin und eine Kostenerstattung wurde abgelehnt. Gekauft habe ich die defekte Kamera Anfang September! Was ich also sicher sagen kann, ist dass die Versendung der Ersatzkameras Hero8 keine Priorität bei GoPro haben. Seit 4 Tagen sagt man mir nun, dass sie morgen verschickt wird. Immer mit exakt dem gleichen vorgefertigten Text.

Hiker

[ New ]

That's worrying... I literally just came back form the UPS drop off point after sending my HERO8 back...

:/

Explorer

[ New ]

@fuzzuk 

Where are you (country)?  I can't speak for Germany (where it appears the other person is from ), but in the US it normally takes about 5-7 working days (not including weekends and holidays).

Explorer

[ New ]
Ooops, I see in your first post you stated UK.
Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro Support is in the Phillipenes  right.   Communication  talking  on the phone or chat, there may be a Miscommunication, and that can lead to issues.

I am awaiting my replacement parts, yes. and I asked a very Simple, not complicated question, "Here's my case number. When Did you ship the package out.?".

Your new camera is.....  

I need not to   say anymore.  If You have to  speak slow. explain   clearly, you should have no issues at all. Since no one wants to hear Offtopic stuff. here is one.  it's a new product  allow them some time, how much, all depends.

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm in the UK ... so the RMA was sent to Holland.

Presumably the replacement will also be sent form Holland - which means a few days each way for transit as a starting point.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Your warehouse Yep, if you tracked it, that will be hte time to get back to you.  For me 5 days.  today is my 5th day, UPS is the Shipper, they already lost my last pkg, I bet they won't show till Monday and  now I have to wait for it Lol 3 addition unwanted days ha ha ha 

Hiker

[ New ]

Its returned using the value UPS tarif too.... so won't be attached to a rocket I expect.

I use the Web Chat support rather than phone them... it's generally better - if they need help from a collegue they can ask without the customer being aware. If you are on the phone they can't do that descretely and may dig themselves into a hole... If you see what I mean.

I also uploaded a sample video to YouTube so they could see (and hear) first hand what the issue with the camera was.

Very quick to confirm the RMA and replacement after that - it was pretty clear from what I was saying and from the video evidence that I was describing a proper fault, but still really pleased with that part of the support process.

The camera is with UPS now... so will update when something happens.

Hiker

[ New ]

Mine was about two weeks until I received the replacement. I'm in the US. 

I saw a message posted in another place saying his Hero 8 replacement was shipped to him in 48 hours. He said he was in the EU. Maybe that was just incredibly lucky timing. I guess it's possible.

Hiker

[ New ]

A quick update....

Chatted to GoPro support online yesterday - Laurie:The replacement items are being processed and should ship out within 24 hours.

So we'll see what happens...

Adventurer

[ New ]

Did at any given time they Say in investigation team, if it goes there , chances are ,    that is the hold up

Hiker

[ New ]

No mention of an specific hold ups.... I've got the chat transcripts though.

They are now saying an order has been generated too... all very encouraging.

Hiker

[ New ]

A final update...

UPS delivered a brand new HERO 8 Black today....

Awesome.

Adventurer

[ New ]

happy that you got it on Turkey day I bet