Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

HERO 8 BLACK WATERPROOF?

i am going on a snorkeling trip this weekend, i have already ordered a waterproof case for my hero 8 black but i don't think it will arrive on time, I know it says waterproof to 10 meters without the case but is it safe to use it in saltwater without the case?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: HERO 8 BLACK WATERPROOF?

As long as you ensure that the door is closed properly and the gasket is clean, the camera is very much waterproof. I use mine several times a week surfing in the ocean.

Do you have a Floaty or the Handler? The biggest risk is dropping the camera and it sinking.

Also, be sure to lock the rear LCD when using the camera in water. You can still change settings be using the side Mode button and front LCD. If you want to change to a different preset, press the Mode and Shutter together. Scroll through presets with the Mode button and select the one you want with the top shutter.

Do you still have the clear plastic display box that came with the camera? Tear it off the box and bring it with you. When you get out of the salt water, fill the box with clean pure water. Rinse the camera good and then drop the camera in the box with water and let it soak for around 10 minutes (this will help dissolve the salt). Once done, rinse the camera again. Dry with a lint free cloth and then shake any remaining water out of the mic ports. Make sure the camera is completely dry before you open the door.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: HERO 8 BLACK WATERPROOF?

As long as you ensure that the door is closed properly and the gasket is clean, the camera is very much waterproof. I use mine several times a week surfing in the ocean.

Do you have a Floaty or the Handler? The biggest risk is dropping the camera and it sinking.

Also, be sure to lock the rear LCD when using the camera in water. You can still change settings be using the side Mode button and front LCD. If you want to change to a different preset, press the Mode and Shutter together. Scroll through presets with the Mode button and select the one you want with the top shutter.

Do you still have the clear plastic display box that came with the camera? Tear it off the box and bring it with you. When you get out of the salt water, fill the box with clean pure water. Rinse the camera good and then drop the camera in the box with water and let it soak for around 10 minutes (this will help dissolve the salt). Once done, rinse the camera again. Dry with a lint free cloth and then shake any remaining water out of the mic ports. Make sure the camera is completely dry before you open the door.