Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: HERO 7 will not update

[ New ]

that is where the   folder goes nothing tricky about why complicate things.

Explorer

[ New ]
Best if the folder goes onto a BLANK SD card to avoid any issues or errors (like accidentally placing it in a folder). Also, in your example, you are showing a folder that you created update vs UPDATE and the folder files. This is completely unnecessary as the Extracted firmware comes with a folder named UPDATE. All that you need to do is move this UPDATE folder onto a BLANK SD card. Showing the files and a self created folder can cause confusion. Anyway, what you showed will work, but it has unnecessary steps such as creating a folder and moving files that are already in a folder named UPDATE.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Best to show wher it goes. like that then just a blank shot and a folder called update

Explorer

[ New ]
Maybe, but if the user does it correctly (including format of the card) they will see something different than what you showed.
Tourist

[ New ]

THank you all for the help! I got it this morning. I needed to create a folder with the update, not just open the files. Once I did that it worked in seconds.. Wish the agent I spoke to for 2 hours would have given me the info this easy. He said my camera was defective and I needed to ship back, but I didnt have time for that. Thanks again!! 

Adventurer

[ New ]

and there you go    glad we were able to help out. why gopro  needs to  get their Act together

Explorer

[ New ]
The problem isn't that GoPro needs to get their act together. The instructions are fine. The "Problem" is that most extractors (including the one built into Windows) have the option to view files checked by default. When you click Extract and have this option checked, it shows the files inside the UPDATE folder.

HOWEVER, if you follow the directions and extract the folder to your computer, then you will see a folder named UPDATE. All that needs to be done is to copy the UPDATE folder to the root of the SD. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CREATE AN UPDATE FOLDER. This is why I say advising people to do this is only confusing the issue. The issue isn't GoPro. The rep most likely assumed that the user was following directions correctly. I'm sure they were being told that they were.

I'm very glad that it worked out in this case, but telling people to create a folder named update is not the answer. Telling them to unzip/extract to the computer desktop (or other location if they wish) will reveal the UPDATE folder. Doing so will prevent the expressed notion that the GoPro agent didn't know what they were talking about. Obviously, if the extracted UPDATE folder was being put on the BLANK SD and the update wasn't working then there would be an issue with the camera.
Tourist

[ New ]
I did everything exactly like the go pro agent told me to do, he told me to click on the files to open them. Making a folder and transferring that way was all it took. He also told me my camera was not working correctly and I could send it back for warranty service. I was doing the update on a MacBook, and what he told me to do was the complete opposite of what I needed to do. But it worked out from the help here. Thanks all!