Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

HERO 7 will not update

[ New ]

I have tried for over a week now to do the latest go pro update, with no success. I have tried via app, via desktop, and via SD card with the files on the go pro site. I also spent 2 hours with a customer service agent trying to get it done to no avail. Surely it cant be this hard! I am ready to toss this camera. Never had these issues with my Hero 4! Any tips or ideas? I have also reformatted and tried all 5 of my SD cards with no luck. 

Explorer

Re: HERO 7 will not update

[ New ]
When you are trying the Manual update, what steps (in detail) are you taking? What error messages are you getting?
Tourist

[ New ]

I tried first to update from the app. It just says download the app to connect your camera. I have the app, and have been using it for months. I deleted and tried to re add. No change. Then I tried to load from the computer, its updated to the newest version on my computer, but when I connect my camera it says version 1. whatever, and that its up to date. Then I tried to do the manual one with the SD card. I reformatted my card, downloaded the updates, and then opened the files and transferred to SD card. One time it showed an update, and then locked up for 10 mintues and I had to pull the battery. I have tried 5 different SD cards, all the same. My camera isn't even 2 months old. 

Explorer

[ New ]
When performing the manual update, you will want to place the UPDATE folder onto a blank SD card. Do not put the individual files on the card by themselves. They must be in a folder called UPDATE.

When you mentioned connecting to the Desktop app you wrote, "when I connect my camera it says version 1. whatever". The part after the 1. is what is important in this case as the latest update is version 1.7. If it's reading as version 1.7, then you are on the latest update. Other than manually updating, the mobile and desktop app will not work if the camera is on the latest update. You must do a manual update to reinstall the firmware.

What SD card are you using? Is it from this list? https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

If the camera locked up during a manual update, it's most likely an issue with the card. Try a different card if possible. If not, be sure to do a FULL (not quick) format of the card before putting the UPDATE folder onto it. Once done, format again in the camera.

Also, before doing a manual update, it's a good idea to factory reset the camera. Go to Preferences> Reset> Factory Rest. You will want to delete any instances of the camera from your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth as well as delete it from the app as well. After factory resetting and doing the manual update, you will want to reestablish your connections to the app.
Adventurer

[ New ]

never said how in steps to update firmware:

open the firmware exactly what do you see???  grab all three files. and place to a foldeer called update.

open up your sd card in a computer and where you see DCIM, and two other folders on that WHhite page place the update folder on.

simply load.. can not do that   return the camera.

Explorer

[ New ]

When you extract the Update.zip file the Update folder will be with it, so there is no need to create a new folder.  Do check that it is called UPDATE and not UPDATE(1) or with any other characters.  If the SD card was formatted as suggested, there should be no other files or folders on it.  Just put the UPDATE folder on the card.  

When Extracting (or viewing the files) of the UPDATE.zip file, uncheck the option to view files.  This can cause confusion as it will show the files inside the UPDATE folder and not the folder itself.  However, the UPDATE folder is there.  Just extract to your computer (desktop is fine).  Once done, you will see a folder named UPDATE.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Like said . this is how it's done     have troulbe  show then tell.

firmware.png

Explorer

[ New ]
Well, it's one way to do it. The best way is to just format the card (so it will be blank. Do a FULL format to check and clear any errors on the card) and then just copy and paste the UPDATE folder that comes in the UPDATE.zip file. Nothing wrong with the way FISH is showing how to do it, but it's a little misleading. The UPDATE folder comes in the zip file, there is no need to manually create one. Also, it's best to format the card first, so there should not be any files on the card, as is in the example. Otherwise, yes, this method will work.