Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

HERO 6 Turns itself off during EVERY TIMELAPSE

I do videogrpahy at special events as my main job.  I own an old HERO 2 -- I own an old HERO 4..... I have rented tons of extra HERO 4's. I set them up all the same way at every event:  On a clamp next to a good solid USB battery source, I let them run in Time Lapse photo mode, usually running for 7-8 hours through out the various events.  

I just bought your HERO 6 to make my kit more complete, and I used it at a large event this weekend.  I set her up for 4 different time lapses, each time on a brand new fully charged USB battery source.  Each time, same result, this piece of JUNK turns itself off: sometimes after 20 mintes, sometimes after an hour.  Not once, did this thing perform the way your old staple cameras do.  I am so utterly disappointed, and I am now missing and lacking time lapses promised to my client.

Your quality used to be so good and solid, this thing is such a piece of junk, the more I research and look online, the more of similar complaints I see...........What's going with the new camera??

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: HERO 6 Turns itself off during EVERY TIMELAPSE

Hi @sunnydive17627

I am really sorry if you feel this way. Have you tested a different SD card? is it also happening on regular video mode?

As this is not the usual behavior, I suggest doing a manual software update first.  Doing this corrects any errors with the current software installation.

If you continue to get the same issue, please contact our Support Team to isolate this further. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @sunnydive17627

I am really sorry if you feel this way. Have you tested a different SD card? is it also happening on regular video mode?

As this is not the usual behavior, I suggest doing a manual software update first.  Doing this corrects any errors with the current software installation.

If you continue to get the same issue, please contact our Support Team to isolate this further. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

Sightseer

having same issue with brand new unit. only runs about 2 hours on fresh battery

GoPro

Hi @rapidcliff36234

Kindly refer to this table to check on the estimated times you can expect when recording in various video modes using a fully-charged battery.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

Tourist

This thing is an absolute and utter piece of garbage.   It has now turned off during every time lapse I've ever done.  The one key variable is when it's outside in the sun.   This is such a disappointment for this stage in the game for a large company like GOPRO.   Your older models work just fine in the sun and heat, this thing acts so **bleep** delicate, it can't handle more than 15 minutes in the sun.    You guys should be embarassed to sell this thing.  It's completely useless to me, I've had to go online and putrchase a older used model to use has my daytime time lapse tool.    I'm past the time to return, and now I'm just left with an over priced piece of useless junk.   Try a different CD card?   Reload the op system?   Seriously, that's your response?  Sorry, but you guys have lost my respect.

Tourist

I totally agree with your statement, I was observing the same problems as well! The support seems like a chat bot, always suggesting the same dumb solutions. I plan on returning the camera as well, I tried everything, mounting heat sinks to the camera, having an external fan cooling it, nothing worked. The whole system seems very consumery to me, not aimed at professionals.