Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

HERO 5 files unsupported, size of files increased

hey guys,

So I could not find answers on the web. you guys my last resort . 

After a crazy week of snowboarding (and filming) in french alpes ,

I finally came home, downloaded all my vids in hope to make a cool edit and share it,

but the videos did not open , and a message popped up from Windows Media Player saying:

"  Can't play

This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt.

0xc10100bf  "

Needless to say , I have tried fixing it with EVERY tool and platform there is , so please help!.
The weird part is that size of each file increased from MBs to GBs.
I used a 64GB sd card, and It was completely full with vids and photos.
Now, every file is 47-52GB EACH!

I tranferred all files to my laptop, what should I do now?
many thanks ! 
Lior
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: HERO 5 files unsupported, size of files increased

Hello @sssdude93. Which file format do your vides show in when accessed or viewed through your computer's file finder or file explorer window? 

Are you able to play the videos on the camera? If you haven't yet, see if you can view the videos using the GoPro App.

The information on the SD card that you are using will also help us isolate the issue. Which SD card are you using? please provide brand, type, capacity. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

hey @mariustanya , thanks for replying!

Each video file is of MP4 format, and each photo is of JPG format.

Originally, I have emptied the SD card.

I transferred one video back to the SD card and tried playing it on my GOPRO  itself & on GOPRO app, however with no luck.

The SD card I'm using is KINGSTON 64GB, rated UHS class 1.

Hope it helps, 

thanks.

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the additional information, @sssdude93. When you saved the file back to your SD card, did you also include the .THM and .LRV file associated with the .MP4 file? The .LRV file is low video resolution file that is necessary for the video to be played through the GoPro App. The camera was able to play it back because the camera relies only on the MP4 file. 

See What are .thm and .lrv files?  for more details. 

Also, we highly recommend using an SD card from this list to avoid camera performance issues in the future. 

Highlighted
Tourist

@mariustanya 

There was no .LRV or .THM files in the folder, only the .MP4 and .JPG files.

Maybe I can upload one video to my google cloud and share it with you?

I would really like to find a solution for my files , as they are important to me.

Or maybe you got another solution for me?

much appreciated.

Highlighted
GoPro

@sssdude93, by any chance, have you tried using a different media player on your computer to playback the MP4 files? Try using a VLC player.

If the problem persists, please upload a sample raw/unedited footage to your Dropbox or Google drive and provide us the shared link so we can look into the details here.